GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Tom's 6-Link: What material are they made out of??

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-08, 12:01 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PHML
Unbelieveable!!! ....whoever said it was aluminum must NOT have owned a set. I mean....why post up bad info? Why? All references or replies to Aluminum will be deleted.

If you do some research...(.ie: go to the Carson Ltuned site)....the description says its tubular steel.

Please...if you don't know...don't post.
Thanks for filling me in Pete. I almost went as far as calling Tom's in Japan.
Old 11-12-08, 07:40 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Unbelieveable!!! ....whoever said it was aluminum must NOT have owned a set. I mean....why post up bad info? Why? All references or replies to Aluminum will be deleted.

If you do some research...(.ie: go to the Carson Ltuned site)....the description says its tubular steel.

Geeze my bad. Take it easy.

Last edited by GSteg; 11-12-08 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-12-08, 07:48 AM
J0hnP
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I heard it was adamantium...

I got some laying around, let me go check again....
haha, adamantium is the strongest of all lol, ask Wolverine
Old 11-12-08, 11:08 AM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...wow...
Everyone makes mistakes. I am sure you don't know everything either.
Old 11-12-08, 11:24 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pingu
...wow...
Everyone makes mistakes. I am sure you don't know everything either.
If I dont know...I dont post.
Old 11-12-08, 07:55 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
Mustangs were really designed to go straight. Not very good in corners if you know what I mean.
From the factory? You would be right.

But....even with a solid rear axle, my Mustang would more likely than not out handle every single Lexus on this site.

www.maximummotorsports.com disagrees with that statement.
Old 11-12-08, 08:04 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by McKrevice
From the factory? You would be right.

But....even with a solid rear axle, my Mustang would more likely than not out handle every single Lexus on this site.

www.maximummotorsports.com disagrees with that statement.
Whether anyone agrees with that statement or not, fact is fact, Independent rear suspension is better for handling than a solid rear.

Sure, you can modify a solid rear car to perform well but it will won't be able to touch a similarly equipped independent rear setup. In other words, yes, your modified mustang may be able to out handle a stock lexus but if you find a Lexus with similar mods etc....a mustang isn't going to be going anywhere.

There is a reason a bone stock showroom floor 1997 Supra can pull .98g's on the skidpad and a 2007 Mustang Shelby which is 10 years newer with "upgraded" factory suspension already installed can only pull .88g's.
Old 11-12-08, 08:21 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by macd7919
Whether anyone agrees with that statement or not, fact is fact, Independent rear suspension is better for handling than a solid rear.

Sure, you can modify a solid rear car to perform well but it will won't be able to touch a similarly equipped independent rear setup. In other words, yes, your modified mustang may be able to out handle a stock lexus but if you find a Lexus with similar mods etc....a mustang isn't going to be going anywhere.

There is a reason a bone stock showroom floor 1997 Supra can pull .98g's on the skidpad and a 2007 Mustang Shelby which is 10 years newer with "upgraded" factory suspension already installed can only pull .88g's.
debatable.

I race against highly modified vettes and porsches. They both have IRS's and I somehow manage to beat them on a consistent basis....and my car only has 215 rwhp.

And comparing a stock Supra to a stock Shelby is like comparing a Vette to a Silverado when it comes to handling. The weight is not even close to being comparable.

And there is no way a modified GS would ever be able to touch a modified Mustang around a race track. Actually, I will go so far as to say that no Lexus with the exception of a full on race car would ever touch a Mustang that has been outfitted with Maximum Motorsports or Griggs gear. Ever.

And speaking of which, I raced a modded Supra with an experienced driver this past summer, and I beat him by 7 seconds.

But in all actuality, I prefer the Lexus which is why I bought mine. But no matter what I could do to my GS400, it would never touch my Mustang in handling.
Old 11-12-08, 08:56 PM
kit cat

they're both cool cars so I don't care.
i just want my thread back .
Old 11-12-08, 09:04 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mustang Shelby 3508lbs

Supra Turbo 3486lbs

I think that's about as close as it gets.

As far as beating a guy driving a Supra I don't doubt it as a lot of that is left up to driver capabilities but with the same driver in equally prepped cars there won't be a contest.

To each his own and the sheer number of Mustangs on the road/track compared to Supra's isn't even close. Anyways.....I'm not saying a Mustang can't be made to handle but technology has evolved past the solid rear whether domestic manufacturers want to admit it or not, but that is part of the reason American cars are what they are when compared to the engineering of Japan.
Old 11-12-08, 09:57 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by macd7919
Mustang Shelby 3508lbs

Supra Turbo 3486lbs

I think that's about as close as it gets.

As far as beating a guy driving a Supra I don't doubt it as a lot of that is left up to driver capabilities but with the same driver in equally prepped cars there won't be a contest.

To each his own and the sheer number of Mustangs on the road/track compared to Supra's isn't even close. Anyways.....I'm not saying a Mustang can't be made to handle but technology has evolved past the solid rear whether domestic manufacturers want to admit it or not, but that is part of the reason American cars are what they are when compared to the engineering of Japan.
My mistake. I thought you meant a Shelby GT500.

The Shelby is just a Mustang GT with a body kit. Which is ultra gay.
Old 11-12-08, 11:41 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by McKrevice
My mistake. I thought you meant a Shelby GT500.

The Shelby is just a Mustang GT with a body kit. Which is ultra gay.
which one had the IRS? Roush?
Old 11-13-08, 08:49 AM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
which one had the IRS? Roush?
The only Mustang that had an IRS is the 03/04 Cobra. I actually had one that I was going to put into my car, but after talking to a bunch of people, even a well set up IRS still would not handle as well as the solid axle setup that I have in my Mustang. So I sold it.