GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Weapon R intake afterthoughts

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-02, 06:38 PM
hubbard316
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weapon R intake afterthoughts

I installed the Weapon R intake on my car today (without the Cold Air Box) and I like its performance. But it seems to have made my car slower on takeoff!! What's the deal. I have a major hesitation when I floor the car to wide open throttle!! What could be wrong? What could I do to get rid of the hesitation? My car did not do this before installing the intake!! Well I hope someone can explain to me why this is happening. Did anyone else experience this? I have more top end power but a LOT less starting off the line. Help please!!
Old 02-23-02, 06:49 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am getting the Weapon R Intake soon.. How good are the install instuctions??

Hope someone can answer your initial power loss question as this has me concerned..

BTW what intake colour did you buy??

PS: Did you reset your ECU (Neg Battery Cable or Fuse).. That might explain the power loss problem..
Old 02-23-02, 07:28 PM
hubbard316
Pole Position

Yeah I did. I got the polished pipe with the red filter and red piping. My car is Cinnabar Pearl so this would offest my car very nicely under the hood. I am going to reset the ECU again to see if this helped the problem.
Old 02-23-02, 08:08 PM
lexon20's
Driver

my opinion would be is that now you will have more top end power due to that your sucking in more air now and the more air at the higer the rpm would make sense that you have more powe in the upper rpms. i also noticed the same with my srt.
Old 02-23-02, 09:44 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

The loss of low end power was reported with the SRT Intake as well. The fix is the Torque Converter from what I recall, as it makes up for the low end loss and the intake gives you more on the top end. Good luck.
Old 02-23-02, 09:57 PM
Chan
Driver School Candidate

We IS owners get the same problem if we don't have an A/F controller, GO SRT!
Old 02-23-02, 10:19 PM
badassloumd
Driver School Candidate

Default SRT intake / ECU

You wont see a loss of low-end with the SRT intake. You wont see -any- losses for that matter. It is tuned / designed such that you see substantial gains across the entire RPM range... It allows the engine to develop more torque and HP throughout the entire power band. (It is a lot more than a pretty piece of bent pipe.. )

If an intake / ecu / whatever (insert your aftermarket device here) causes you any drivability problems, it is likely that it is either installed wrong, poorly designed, or not being used in the right application.

---Lou
Old 02-23-02, 11:01 PM
CarbonIS300
Pole Position

Default Re: SRT intake / ECU

Originally posted by badassloumd
You wont see a loss of low-end with the SRT intake. You wont see -any- losses for that matter. It is tuned / designed such that you see substantial gains across the entire RPM range... It allows the engine to develop more torque and HP throughout the entire power band. (It is a lot more than a pretty piece of bent pipe.. )

If an intake / ecu / whatever (insert your aftermarket device here) causes you any drivability problems, it is likely that it is either installed wrong, poorly designed, or not being used in the right application.

---Lou
Yeah and i think in this case it was badly designed anyone seen the Dyno sheet the've been passing around looks like it was made in photoshop by a shop newbie.
Old 02-24-02, 02:09 AM
enginyr
Banned

Not that I am sticking up for Weapon-R, but I have noticed absolutely no drop in horse power at any RPM. I can still light the tires up at a stop light, but maybe thats because I have a GS400 and yours is a 300?

I think you need to leave your fuse out a little longer on the ecu reset.
Old 02-24-02, 05:03 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check your vaccum hoses if they aren't sealed you will loose power man....

if you want more power go with the Weapon*R ECU. if u get teh SRT one u have to get the SRT intake with it

the dyno graph isn't photoshopped.
Old 02-24-02, 07:47 AM
soyb0mb
Driver

Default Weapon R is a JOKE.

I really feel for you guys who were suckered into spending too much for a product that is over-marketed and under-performs.

On is300.net about a year ago, our boards had 2 jokers appear and start praising WeaponR's "Awesome new intake" and really plugging it hard making ridiculous claims. Of course when they were called on to produce dynos or to answer even the simplest of technical questions they both disappeared.

I do not know, admittedly, the technicals of a GS, but I know that a lot of the stuff they were pushing as "selling points" on an IS was all BS. At one point they were claiming huge (over 15whp )gains but would only show thumbnail sized dyno charts that looked good, but too small to really show a thing. When the dude finally was pressured into showinw the real is300 dyno (full size) it was just over 10whp, but the guy started arguing saying that no other company could produce a dyno chart w/ such a smooth curve.
Whoopie!
I know I'm going of on a rant here so I'll cut it short and close with 2 links and some basic math:
SRT intake for is300 ~$525 and WeaponR ~$1200. easy choice.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=35217
&
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=35211
Old 02-24-02, 07:55 AM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Weapon R is a JOKE.

Originally posted by soyb0mb

I know I'm going of on a rant here so I'll cut it short and close with 2 links and some basic math:
SRT intake for is300 ~$525 and WeaponR ~$1200. easy choice.

I know Lexus stuff is expensive, but are you sure about paying $1200 for an intake system? Because that sounds like moontalk to me. I can make a system that performs just as well with exhaust repair tube for $70.... WTF?!
Old 02-24-02, 08:23 AM
Chan
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I rememeber those WR idiots. $1200 for the WR intake and an Interscew piggyback I think.....what a bunch of idiots. lol soy, what happened to LexusRules after Mo called him out?

Edit: No wait, he's hanging around CL now
Old 02-24-02, 08:45 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya im here... u guys have no right to be talking smack about stuff u dont know. infact i was on is300.net and i guess my choise isn't welcome there. ur in my forum now, so dont push ur luck.

Weapon*R's price is way lower than that u have no idea what ur talking about. SRT was 1200 when they first came out too.

You will never learn.

p.s. mo never answered me back so its actually more like where did mo go after i called him out?

but thats not for clublexus its for IS300.net if u have a problem with me dont talk to me about it here.
Old 02-24-02, 09:47 AM
RacingAristo

soyb0mb,

I've read your posts (quite enjoy them) and I wouldn't expect to you see here in GS section. Just have one request, don't close another thread! haha. J/K.

Quick Reply: Weapon R intake afterthoughts