GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

** Clublexus Special ** TRD/L-Tuned Exhaust Tips!! **

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-02, 03:32 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

For those that purchased these tips from Steve please post your installation experience. I just order a set from Steve and don't expect to receive the tips until another 2 weeks. So you guys in the mainland will have it installed before I even get mine.

1) What I am looking for is whether you guys need to cut the exhaust tube where the tip is fitted onto. To hide the existing exhaust tube from rear view.

2) How far from the did you set the tips from the exhaust chamber. This will depend on how far it sticks out from the rear bumper.

Thanks in advance.

Chu...
Old 03-04-02, 07:08 PM
damnboy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone who has purchased the exhaust tip care to share his experience and installation process? Thank you
Old 03-04-02, 11:40 PM
bad-gs400
Driver

To get a flush fit against the rear fender, the stock pipes will need to be cut down. I had some 4 inch tips put on and they had to cut the stock tip down to the muffler and then weld an extension pipe on so the interior stock pipe would not show from the rear and the new tips would be supported. Price should be about $20-$25 for install/labor at a local muffler shop (Midas, etc). Here are some pics:
Old 03-04-02, 11:41 PM
bad-gs400
Driver

pic1
Attached Thumbnails ** Clublexus Special ** TRD/L-Tuned Exhaust Tips!! **-10.jpg  
Old 03-04-02, 11:43 PM
bad-gs400
Driver

pic2
Attached Thumbnails ** Clublexus Special ** TRD/L-Tuned Exhaust Tips!! **-5.jpg  
Old 03-04-02, 11:44 PM
bad-gs400
Driver

pic3
Attached Thumbnails ** Clublexus Special ** TRD/L-Tuned Exhaust Tips!! **-17.jpg  
Old 03-05-02, 04:57 PM
damnboy
Pole Position

Thanks bad-gs400!!
Stock tip is really too small and I'm going to change mine soon!!
Old 03-11-02, 12:39 AM
ChuH
Instructor

Default Just received my tips

Okay guys. I just received my TRD/L-Tuned Tips from Steve Ganz and no one has posted their installation experience on it. Hopefully someone out there has already installed them on their GS. Am I the only guy that purchase the tips for the stock muffler?

I notice that the inside diameter of the L-Tuned Tips is about 2-3/8" and the outside diameter of the stock exhaust is 2-1/8". In addition, the stock muffler outlet has a bend on it. My question is how has people who install these tips mount them? I am schedule to have a local muffler shop weld these tips but wish someone would give some tips on installing these L-Tuned tips. Also found out that not everyone could weld stainless steel on stainless steel on Guam. Boy had to call several places to find someone who has the right equipment.

Chu...
Old 03-11-02, 07:30 AM
damnboy
Pole Position

Hi Chu,

I've my L-tuned tip installed couple days ago and it's a 30 mins process for my local muffler shop. First of all they cut the stock tip till the L tip are able to stick inside the bumper. They even cut a little bit of the L tip because I don't want the tip too far out. Then they weld on the tip. I know what you're saying that diameter is diff. but that's no problem for them.

I'll try to post some pics later.
Old 03-11-02, 12:27 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Hi damnboy:

Thanks for the reply. Did they have to remove the muffler to cut and weld the L-Tuned tips? I just want to make sure they do a good job. As you know this is a permanent modification to the stock mufflers. If they mess up I would have to purchase a real aftermarket exhaust. I like the quiet sound of the stock.

If you can get some pics. of side, rear (inside the tips) and bottom view I would be greatly appreciated. Also if you still have the cut piece of the stock muffler could you measure the length of cut? How much did you cut the L-Tuned tips? I too do not want the tips to stick out too much either.

Chu...
Old 03-11-02, 01:47 PM
damnboy
Pole Position

Originally posted by ChuH
Hi damnboy:

Thanks for the reply. Did they have to remove the muffler to cut and weld the L-Tuned tips? I just want to make sure they do a good job. As you know this is a permanent modification to the stock mufflers. If they mess up I would have to purchase a real aftermarket exhaust. I like the quiet sound of the stock.
No. No need to remove the stock muffler.
Once your stock tip is cut, there's no way back.

Originally posted by ChuH

If you can get some pics. of side, rear (inside the tips) and bottom view I would be greatly appreciated. Also if you still have the cut piece of the stock muffler could you measure the length of cut? How much did you cut the L-Tuned tips? I too do not want the tips to stick out too much either.

Chu...
Pics will be posted when I get home from work.
No, I left the cut pieces over the shop.
I'll say the length of cut at least 4 inch.
Make sure you bring the ruler with you and measure the space between tips and bumper yourself. Don't trust your/their eye for this.
Old 03-11-02, 02:33 PM
SUPRATRD
Original CL Sponsor since 1999

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SOLD OUT...THANKS GUYS!!
Old 03-11-02, 04:56 PM
damnboy
Pole Position

Ltuned tips
Attached Thumbnails ** Clublexus Special ** TRD/L-Tuned Exhaust Tips!! **-ltip1.jpg  
Old 03-11-02, 04:57 PM
damnboy
Pole Position

rear view
Attached Thumbnails ** Clublexus Special ** TRD/L-Tuned Exhaust Tips!! **-ltip2.jpg  
Old 03-11-02, 04:58 PM
damnboy
Pole Position

side view
Attached Thumbnails ** Clublexus Special ** TRD/L-Tuned Exhaust Tips!! **-ltip3.jpg  

Quick Reply: ** Clublexus Special ** TRD/L-Tuned Exhaust Tips!! **