GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

new to this, would really appreciate suggestions!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-08, 01:21 AM
danny10989
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to this, would really appreciate suggestions!

hello everyone i am still very new to this. i just got into fixing up my car which is a gs300 2000. its black and i guess it was a gold package because my emblems were gold. i received the car after about 70 thousand miles and although it wasn't in horrible condition it surely wasnt pampered either. the grille had many chips in it from rocks and the paint started coming off the grill and the back bumper was murdered by street parking in san francisco.

But since i received the car i have tinted it ( 5% in the back and 35% in the two fronts), painted the complete back bumper, put some Hid lights on (6000k), painted the grill glossy black but painted the emblems in the front and back flat black. i also painted the original chrome around the grille flat black, put some weather tech window visors on and lastly i took off the gs300 and lexus emblems in the back and just left the L emblem in the middle.

Since becoming a member of CL, i have met some very nice people with advice through PMs and i also bought a roof spoiler (DSR v2) off a moderator (PHML) which was very helpful with advice on putting it on also.

now this is where i am stuck.

I wanna get some rims but kinda on a budget ( starving college student ) so I'm willing to spend about 1500 - 1700 max for some wheels including tires. It would be best if i could find something under 1500 since i really wanna drop it also but with some nice springs or coil overs because i really need the ride to stay smooth and not rough since my parents would be in the car from time to time.

SO with all that being said ( sorry for the long story )
what kind of rims could/should i get? I want at least some 19s with a decent size lip 2-4 inches ( the bigger the better ) and staggered would be nice also.

I first thought about some 20's and found some MSR 093 wheels but i was scared that the low profile tires would really hurt the ride if i drop it some more.

Then I went on ebay which i didnt know was good or bad but i found some STERN wheels which is fairly inexpensive but i probably would end up getting what i paid for with them so im not completely sure if i want them or not. They are 19s (stern st-8 ) and I got a price for about 1000 w/tires. which leaves me some money to drop it and hopefully find a good suspension.

So now i am just trying to learn more and gather as much information as i can and doing it really fast since i feel pretty damn obsessed with the car until i get some rims or satisfy with the car.

Anyone have any suggestions on what i should do/get for the car?
wheels, suspension suggestions or if any one has anything to sell to me that you would think would look nice or towards the direction i am kinda aiming for. PLEASE PM me and/or reply to this thread with some help.

thanks so much and i cant wait to see what everyone has to say on here!
Old 11-19-08, 05:53 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as looking for wheels, check the classifieds. They have a for sale section for wheels and most people have pics with them on the car. Do a search on this forum for Stern wheels because there are a very people with Stern wheels who like them and haven't have any problems with them. Suspension is personal preference depending on the stiffness of the ride and if you want to adjust your ride height. Do a search on the different brands because there are plenty of reviews about each make and model. Please don't go cheap on suspension because you will regret it in the end.
Old 11-19-08, 07:28 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WELCOME danny10989

Check the classifieds for great deals
Old 11-19-08, 07:34 AM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check out the classifieds or hit up D2autosports. They have some pretty nice stuff on sale right now.
Old 11-19-08, 08:32 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the classifieds and buy everything used. You'll end up with higher-end stuff and get a better deal. Especially in CA where everyone else seems to be! Avoid the Stern wheels They weigh as much as a bathtub combined.
Old 11-19-08, 08:38 AM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by danny10989
hello everyone i am still very new to this. i just got into fixing up my car which is a gs300 2000. its black and i guess it was a gold package because my emblems were gold. i received the car after about 70 thousand miles and although it wasn't in horrible condition it surely wasnt pampered either. the grille had many chips in it from rocks and the paint started coming off the grill and the back bumper was murdered by street parking in san francisco.

But since i received the car i have tinted it ( 5% in the back and 35% in the two fronts), painted the complete back bumper, put some Hid lights on (6000k), painted the grill glossy black but painted the emblems in the front and back flat black. i also painted the original chrome around the grille flat black, put some weather tech window visors on and lastly i took off the gs300 and lexus emblems in the back and just left the L emblem in the middle.

Since becoming a member of CL, i have met some very nice people with advice through PMs and i also bought a roof spoiler (DSR v2) off a moderator (PHML) which was very helpful with advice on putting it on also.

now this is where i am stuck.

I wanna get some rims but kinda on a budget ( starving college student ) so I'm willing to spend about 1500 - 1700 max for some wheels including tires. It would be best if i could find something under 1500 since i really wanna drop it also but with some nice springs or coil overs because i really need the ride to stay smooth and not rough since my parents would be in the car from time to time.

SO with all that being said ( sorry for the long story )
what kind of rims could/should i get? I want at least some 19s with a decent size lip 2-4 inches ( the bigger the better ) and staggered would be nice also.

I first thought about some 20's and found some MSR 093 wheels but i was scared that the low profile tires would really hurt the ride if i drop it some more.

Then I went on ebay which i didnt know was good or bad but i found some STERN wheels which is fairly inexpensive but i probably would end up getting what i paid for with them so im not completely sure if i want them or not. They are 19s (stern st-8 ) and I got a price for about 1000 w/tires. which leaves me some money to drop it and hopefully find a good suspension.

So now i am just trying to learn more and gather as much information as i can and doing it really fast since i feel pretty damn obsessed with the car until i get some rims or satisfy with the car.

Anyone have any suggestions on what i should do/get for the car?
wheels, suspension suggestions or if any one has anything to sell to me that you would think would look nice or towards the direction i am kinda aiming for. PLEASE PM me and/or reply to this thread with some help.

thanks so much and i cant wait to see what everyone has to say on here!
Welcome to CL..danny10989, Have you ever wanted to become an author..Wow!! what an introduction... BTW you can check out this forum and I bet you can get a great suggestions from the members/friendz.
Old 11-19-08, 10:53 PM
danny10989
Rookie

thanks everybody for the welcome. i'll be sure to look in the classifies thanks!
Old 11-19-08, 10:56 PM
danny10989
Rookie

what do you guys think about some mrr-gt1 wheels? 20s? and save up for a drop later on?? the gap wont be as big with some 20s on.
Old 11-19-08, 11:05 PM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratz.. if you wanna spend about 1500-1700 check classifieds for 19s. 19s will fit find for the your GS... If you get rims though, please get the drop. You might wanna get the drop first? Check classifieds on those too... The 2nd GS is really popular so you can get good deals if you have the to research. Good luck
Old 11-19-08, 11:08 PM
dRo15
Lexus Test Driver

I just read the first line and after seeing it was turning into a short story, I just stop. Welcome to CL. Very useful info here and deals. I'll get to reading this later.
Old 11-20-08, 03:26 PM
arpham
Lead Lap

Welcome to the Club Danny! If anything.. please get the drop "suspension" first so you will know what type/size/offsets of rims to get. Every.. I mean EVERY OG on here will tell you the same. I'm not an OG, I'm just one of the first people to tell you.
Old 11-20-08, 04:59 PM
sirblinks
Lexus Test Driver

dont worry i was in the same shoes as you are in now. i got a good deal on some wheels with tires through my friend, so i jumped on those first then got the drop later. I am on eibachs and i like the ride. i believe someone is selling shocks and springs for a pretty good price. you should check the classifieds...and welcome
Old 11-20-08, 06:05 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome Danny!

My best advice on wheels is to take your time and don't rush into a set of wheels just so you have something on the car. You'll be much happier in the long run if you take your time and research and keep an eye on the classifieds until you find something that jumps out at you.

Oh and I have to very strongly agree with everyone who has suggested that you drop the car first. Another one of those things that you'll have to trust us on, you'll be much happier in the long run if you do it right initially. The fender gap won't be quite as bad with 20's but it will still look bad. To anyone who knows and has taste, it immediately dowgrades their opinion of your car. Personally I could see a well-done car with a huge fender gap and that fender gap is all I can see, your buddies would probably still like it but that monster truck look throws everything off. Sorry for the rant but it's one of those things I can't stand!

Welcome again!