GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Carbon Fiber Hoods? Dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-08, 10:39 PM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Hoods? Dangerous?

hi guys, i just got a carbon fiber hood from VIS. people are telling me about stories and that i should put hood pins. its locked down pretty tight when i close my hood. what do you guys think i should do? i dont like the looks of hood pins on our cars. its NON-VIP like.
Old 11-19-08, 10:49 PM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks bad on luxury cars, but errr .. i wouldnt want my hood flying up and hitting the windshield on the freeway or something.

its really up to you, get it if you're going to be driving SUPER fast .

btw, did you have minor trouble getting them to fit properly?

Last edited by AYEmike; 11-19-08 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-19-08, 11:03 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Carbon fiber hoods aren't VIP.
Old 11-19-08, 11:22 PM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i dont mind not going the vip way, i was just wondering is there a safer way thats all. btw you cant even tell its carbon fiber till you really look at it.
Old 11-19-08, 11:25 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by StanCe
i dont mind not going the vip way, i was just wondering is there a safer way thats all. btw you cant even tell its carbon fiber till you really look at it.
You can glue it down
Old 11-19-08, 11:26 PM
slammedTT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get pins if you drive fast on the hwy
Old 11-19-08, 11:45 PM
SLAMDGS4
Pole Position

i had a CF hood fly open on me on the fwy once on my civic..i was going about 85 mph..it was pretty bad..my windshield got shattered and the hood was useless after that..they have hood locks that are CF look..prob look better than pins if you want that discrete look and still be on the safe side
Old 11-20-08, 12:13 AM
vinh
Lexus Champion

do you really want to risk it just cause no hood pins looks cooler??? And yes i've had a cf hood pop up on me on the highway also. Let's just say i looked real stupid on the side of the freeway. Take a look at the aerocatch hood pins. they are a lot sexier than the traditional type and provide a much cleaner look.
Old 11-20-08, 12:17 AM
retrospexo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vinh
do you really want to risk it just cause no hood pins looks cooler??? And yes i've had a cf hood pop up on me on the highway also. Let's just say i looked real stupid on the side of the freeway. Take a look at the aerocatch hood pins. they are a lot sexier than the traditional type and provide a much cleaner look.
couldn't have said it better myself
Old 11-20-08, 12:44 AM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLAMDGS400
i had a CF hood fly open on me on the fwy once on my civic..i was going about 85 mph..it was pretty bad..my windshield got shattered and the hood was useless after that..they have hood locks that are CF look..prob look better than pins if you want that discrete look and still be on the safe side

I highly doubt your windshield "shattered." If you know anything about windshields, they are laminated. They are made with two pieces of glass glued together. Pics or it never happened.

Last edited by pingu; 11-20-08 at 12:47 AM.
Old 11-20-08, 12:46 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I've seen a CF hood flipped up on a 4th gen Honda Accord a few years ago. Caused quite a bit of drama on the freeway.
Old 11-20-08, 12:47 AM
Top Hat
Banned

Get flush hood pins then. You do not want to run it without. Have you ever had a hood go over the car before? I have. It put the chevy cobalt behind me in the ditch and I almost hit a merging semi. Not fun.
Old 11-20-08, 01:00 AM
ShaneC
Lexus Champion

from what i hear, Vis hoods are pretty strong. they are not a true "race" CF hood where there is not much support on the bottom side. the ones that fly open are usually CF hoods that dont have much structure under the hood. the Vis one should have a good backing to keep the hood down. (front what i hear, not through personal experience) i would personally just get a hood pin. there are some clean ones out there. i like the ones with keys.
Old 11-20-08, 01:03 AM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pingu

I highly doubt your windshield "shattered." If you know anything about windshields, they are laminated. They are made with two pieces of glass glued together. Pics or it never happened.
So windshields can't shatter, yet still be held together by the laminate?
Old 11-20-08, 01:24 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Ok, the glass will smash into a thousand pieces, but it will not fall in the car. It's held in place by the plastic laminate which is quite strong. It's different than the side windows which will break into thousands of pieces and go all over the place.

And about the CF hood. I would suggest running the hood pins. The VIS hood is strong, but if something just happens to strike the latch area JUST RIGHT, the latch will fail. I believe that happened to one of the members here. I think it was PandaGS430's car.

Here's a picture I found online. Not my pic, but just an example of how the laminate sheet will prevent the glass from falling in.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Hoods? Dangerous?