GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Smoke coming out of the hood. help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-08, 12:38 PM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation Smoke coming out of the hood. help!

Well. Today I drove home like I drive everyday. About 80mph or so. Not a big deal. The only difference was when I got home and the car was idling. I see smoke coming out of the hood.
I said holy *****. Opened the hood and I can see smoke coming out of the rear part of the engine. Looked like it was coming out of the tranny. There were no other signs of any problem. Not lights are on, the temp is normal and the engine is not hesitating.

It was a cold morning so I don’t know if that had anything to do with it. The car is running fine besides the smoke that I saw this morning.

Has this happened to any of you.
I am a little worried because I have not done anything to it and I work tonight. I hope it does not leave me stranded.
Old 11-20-08, 01:14 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Omar

What color is the smoke.

How much

Smell?
Old 11-20-08, 01:35 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rear main seal??????
Old 11-20-08, 03:17 PM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you sure it was smoke and not steam? Steam could be caused by a pin hole in a heater hose of some sort. If it was smoke could be cause by oil/trans oil/coolant falling on to your exhaust and burning. Check for a puddle when you go to move your car and see what the liquid is.
Old 11-20-08, 03:21 PM
dxb_8788
Pole Position

check under ur car its seems like a plastic bag having fun with ur exhuast
its happened to me once and i thought its my car when i checked under the car i saw the bag
Old 11-20-08, 04:42 PM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Omar

What color is the smoke.

How much

Smell?
+1 what color is the smoke?

hope its not thick gray smoke which can be caused by a blown gasket.

Last edited by AYEmike; 11-20-08 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-20-08, 07:15 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

blue smoke = burning oil
black smoke = burning ATF
grey smoke = stand up because youre gonna have to pay out your ***
white smoke = steam, leaking coolant or water onto the exhaust and burning

double check in the interior if the carpet is wet. If it is, and its coolant (green, yellow or red non-viscous liquid depending on brand), you have a problem with your heater core/coolant lines toward the rear of the engine bay.

also...being that it was a cold day...did you run through any puddles on the way home? water splashes up onto the frame/underbody and then drips onto the exhaust, can last for a few minutes after. i get this most times after driving for a long time before going through the carwash, either from radiator or brakes.
Old 11-20-08, 07:34 PM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

wow. Just got up and the first thing that I am doing is checking this site. you guys are very helpfull. Thanks. I def. did not go through a puddle. I also know what a bag smells like.
the color I would have to say was from white to gray. Ufff Gray sounds like its a big problem. The thing that I find weird is that if its a gasket, would the engine be hesitating. The car is driving very smooth.

One thing i just got done about a week ago was I got the motor mounts changed. could that have caused any other major problem.
I will check under the car to see if i see any leaks.

Again thanks guys. At times like this I appreciate being in a site like this.

thanks
Ill update tomorrow.
Old 11-21-08, 06:05 AM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

Exclamation

Damnn. I still dont exactly know what it is but it does not look good. I managed to get to and from work. I took a look at it this morning and there is OIL all over the bottom covers. I also did what you guys told me to do and there was oil on the floor were I parked the car.

Now what next. I am even afraid of running the car.
last night

this morning
Old 11-21-08, 08:29 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

I'll say it again.....Rear main seal

You need to jack up the car and look between the trans and engine and see if that's where the oil is coming from. Main seals can start out with just small drips and then can get worse. If you blow the rear main seal.....much more of a mess. If it is this.....cheap part, expensive job cause of labor. Keep us posted and sorry about your situation.
Old 11-21-08, 09:02 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a short story that I think may help...

So this penguin is driving down the highway when all of a sudden, smoke starts coming out of the front of his car! So he gets off at the next exit and finds a gas station nearby with a small mechanic shop. After explaining his problem to the mechanic, the guy tells the penguin, "It'll take me about an hour or so to check it out." The penguin thanks the mechanic and decides he'll go across the street to the grocery store to pass the time. Walking across the street, the penguin can't believe how bloody hot it is outside!! He's relieved when he walks into the cool store... but he has the brilliant idea of going straight to the freezer section to cool off. Walking down the frozen food section is getting him cooler... but it's just not enough. He looks around and doesn't see anybody else in the aisle, and he opens one of the freezer doors and steps inside. "Ahh, this is better," he thinks to himself. After chillin' for a while, he notices there's vanilla ice cream on the shelf next to him!!! "Don't mind if i do!" he thinks as he begins munching on the carton of ice cream greedily. After an hour has passed he goes back over to the mechanic to see if his car is fixed. The mechanic tells the penguin, "Well, it looks like you blew a seal." The penguin replied "OMG NO!!! I was just eating ice cream!"

Old 11-21-08, 09:03 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AZDesertGS
I'll say it again.....Rear main seal

You need to jack up the car and look between the trans and engine and see if that's where the oil is coming from. Main seals can start out with just small drips and then can get worse. If you blow the rear main seal.....much more of a mess. If it is this.....cheap part, expensive job cause of labor. Keep us posted and sorry about your situation.
yep, after hearing the new description i will concur. good luck
Old 11-21-08, 09:07 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JiBBeL
I have a short story that I think may help...

So this penguin is driving down the highway when all of a sudden, smoke starts coming out of the front of his car! So he gets off at the next exit and finds a gas station nearby with a small mechanic shop. After explaining his problem to the mechanic, the guy tells the penguin, "It'll take me about an hour or so to check it out." The penguin thanks the mechanic and decides he'll go across the street to the grocery store to pass the time. Walking across the street, the penguin can't believe how bloody hot it is outside!! He's relieved when he walks into the cool store... but he has the brilliant idea of going straight to the freezer section to cool off. Walking down the frozen food section is getting him cooler... but it's just not enough. He looks around and doesn't see anybody else in the aisle, and he opens one of the freezer doors and steps inside. "Ahh, this is better," he thinks to himself. After chillin' for a while, he notices there's vanilla ice cream on the shelf next to him!!! "Don't mind if i do!" he thinks as he begins munching on the carton of ice cream greedily. After an hour has passed he goes back over to the mechanic to see if his car is fixed. The mechanic tells the penguin, "Well, it looks like you blew a seal." The penguin replied "OMG NO!!! I was just eating ice cream!"

wow completely inappropriate and not helpful at all but i'm glad you posted this.
Old 11-21-08, 09:34 AM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

lmao.
funny.
I will guess it is something that I wont be able to do myself.
or is it.

I will take car to shop by next week. Hopefully Ill still have money for christmas.
Old 12-01-08, 01:59 PM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

Thumbs up

Thank God it was a very simple problem.

I was afraid to take the car to the mechanic because I was afraid of the bill that I was going to get once they were done.

Good I didn’t take it.

Today I looked under the hood. I adjusted the valve covers. They were loose. I thought wow that must have been the problem.
No!! once I was done, I looked again while engine was running and I was able to see that there was a dripping oil leak coming from the oil filter.

Damnn mechanics! I recently got the motor mounts put on. Great!!

What they did in the process of putting them on they tore a hole on the oil filter. yes!

Thank God I drive fast cause that caused the oil to fly on to the exhaust pipes and I saw the smoke.

If it wasn’t for that my engine would have seized.

So all it cost me was another oil and oil filter change.

Thank you all

Quick Reply: Smoke coming out of the hood. help!