GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Timing Beld change little oil leak!!! How much shout it cost?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-08 | 05:06 PM
BilluAwan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Beld change little oil leak!!! How much shout it cost?

Hi guys i notices in my garage oil drops from my so called my guy to check it out...told me that front of the engine, theres a black box thing with Lexus Logo on it! it was leaking..anyways he said with 101K miles its about time to change Timing belt spark plugs and wires, water and fuel pump also for leaking oul the gaskits.... its a 2 day job for him as he have done that for me in the past
I called Auto Zone to get prices and they said timing belt for 98 GS is $20 and water pump is $90? does it sound right ? I thought it must be expensive ? and guy is chargin gme $300 to do the whole thing and full tuneup and stuff...I need to do it right away i dont liek leaks and check engine light on at all!!! IS that good price?
Old 11-24-08 | 05:21 PM
Red Bully
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

def get it done your over due and for parts order them from lexus (lexus parts world) i would only use oem parts also there are a bunch of gaskets you have to replace once you have the belt and water pump off. the water pump from lexus has some of the gaskets you will need. iam getting mine done on wed and its going to cost me 350 for the belt and pump at my guy he used to work for lexus.Lexus wanted allmost 1k just for the belt. Just make sure your guy knows what he is doing.
Old 11-24-08 | 05:27 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cam gear seals?
Old 11-24-08 | 05:46 PM
gs30062-1
Driver School Candidate

W.T.F is a cam gear seal? you get what you pay for and you also got to remember anyone can rip you off. I would get factory parts only and make sure the guy doing it is known to do a good job.
Old 11-24-08 | 06:21 PM
Red Bully
Lexus Test Driver

cam gear seal means dont do it your self lol
Old 11-24-08 | 06:59 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$300 isn't a bad price. it is a pretty simple process just have to be very careful. if possible make friends with a lexus certified tech. my guy let me watch as he did the whole process. took off the serpentine belt, crank pulley, cam gear cover, lower belt cover, marked the belt, took off the water pump, replaced the pump, new belt, and etc... took about 1.5 hours to do with coffee and smoke breaks. i also got my hks cam gear installed at the same time since everything was open and replaced my cam gear seals. i was leaking from there too. but now i've done the same service on 2 of my friend's cars. 1 sc300 and 1 gs300. same motor so same work. did the service in under 3 hours each time and had 0 glitches.

i assume when you say the black box with the lexus emblem on it that it is the cam gear cover of the 99-00 gs.
Old 11-24-08 | 10:49 PM
BilluAwan
Driver

Originally Posted by carbongs
$300 isn't a bad price. it is a pretty simple process just have to be very careful. if possible make friends with a lexus certified tech. my guy let me watch as he did the whole process. took off the serpentine belt, crank pulley, cam gear cover, lower belt cover, marked the belt, took off the water pump, replaced the pump, new belt, and etc... took about 1.5 hours to do with coffee and smoke breaks. i also got my hks cam gear installed at the same time since everything was open and replaced my cam gear seals. i was leaking from there too. but now i've done the same service on 2 of my friend's cars. 1 sc300 and 1 gs300. same motor so same work. did the service in under 3 hours each time and had 0 glitches.

i assume when you say the black box with the lexus emblem on it that it is the cam gear cover of the 99-00 gs.
Yea thats what it is cam gear cover...
MY fault I said it wrong..He told me to replace Valve cover Gaskit! It was slightly Leaking...Anyways I will get all oem parts and get over with any engine problems...He will tell me tomorrow exactly what i need!
PLus this guy i known him for 13 years..Excellent guy xtreamly professional! he knows what hes doing!!!!
Old 11-24-08 | 10:50 PM
BilluAwan
Driver

Originally Posted by Red Bully
def get it done your over due and for parts order them from lexus (lexus parts world) i would only use oem parts also there are a bunch of gaskets you have to replace once you have the belt and water pump off. the water pump from lexus has some of the gaskets you will need. iam getting mine done on wed and its going to cost me 350 for the belt and pump at my guy he used to work for lexus.Lexus wanted allmost 1k just for the belt. Just make sure your guy knows what he is doing.
IF you can let me know what exactly you need to change once doing that service ...it will help me out so i can get those parts also!!! Plus what kinda sparkplugs should I get might aswell do all tuneup and stuff as i am not planning to sell this car anytime soon! It will be one of my toys !
Old 11-25-08 | 03:23 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You really should mention the model of your GS, whether its 300 or 400/430.

As far as your oil leak is concerned, if its from the front of the engine it could be crank seal, cam seals, or valve covers. If its the crank seal, then its easy to replace when you're replacing the timing belt. With cam seals it is much more involved, and I would rather have a dealer do it. If your guy messes up and gets you valves bent, you'll be spending an arm and a leg on a new engine.

If its the valve gaskets that are leaking, then its a relatively easy fix, just kinda labor involved.

As far as all of your parts, get OEM stuff, dont buy garbage from Autozone.
Old 11-25-08 | 11:22 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 73 Posts

if this is a gs430 i have cam gear seals for sale N.I.B. bought from my dealer and since mine werent leaking i didnt use and cant return them
Old 11-25-08 | 07:27 PM
BilluAwan
Driver

its Gs300..Dealer wil charge me arm and a leg to do major service ..i rather go someone private who I trust and get it done
Old 11-25-08 | 08:24 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well timing belt isn't that difficult of a job, but you need the right tools, and an impact gun. But like I said, be careful, its a a VVTi engine, and its an interference engine, so its easy to get your valves bent if you make a mistake, especially when replacing cam seals.
Old 11-25-08 | 08:33 PM
sjlexus408
Driver

what can possibly go wrong when removing and installing the vvti pulley?im doing my timing belt this week also. I mean all we have to do is hold the camshaft with a wrench and remove the hex bolt that is holding in the vvti pulley right? i dont think the vvti pulley is spring loaded correct?seems like it is as easy as removing the right side pulley.

Last edited by sjlexus408; 11-25-08 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-25-08 | 08:49 PM
BilluAwan
Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Well timing belt isn't that difficult of a job, but you need the right tools, and an impact gun. But like I said, be careful, its a a VVTi engine, and its an interference engine, so its easy to get your valves bent if you make a mistake, especially when replacing cam seals.
Buddy when it comes to mechanical stuff i am as dum as jim Kerry in dum and dumer! I am a sales man ..I can make Furniture deals dont know Anything under the hood lol... MY mechanic will do all that..I am just searching now that while the engine is open, I might as well replace all the seals and make sure i wont have problems fr another 80-90K miles ...spark plug and wires etc etc.....If anyone can suggest anything it would be a plus !!!!
Old 11-25-08 | 10:51 PM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 25,000

ehhh sounds like you never seviced your car before... I'd clean the throttle body, clean the MAF, change the air filter, change you differential fluid, and service your transmission... get everything done have nothing to worry about later.

Quick Reply: Timing Beld change little oil leak!!! How much shout it cost?