GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

vsc abs and vsc off lights stay on?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-08, 01:19 PM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vsc abs and vsc off lights stay on?

Just started doing this last night, i turned the car off and on and they went away for a little bit, when i got home i noticed the abs line (not the brake line) was pinched pretty good with a zip tie on passenger side. so i unpinched it ran it so it wont get pinched, left the neg side of the battery of all night, and this morning im still geting the lights, doens that reset the system? should i drive around? is there a fuse i can check? please help. i would think the lights would stop once i unpinched the line? please help,thankx
Old 11-30-08, 01:32 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably ABS sensor's line was torn inside, which you'll have to re connect the wire...
Old 11-30-08, 03:33 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

More than likely, you've cut the abs line when it was pinched. What you need to do now is disconect the abs sensor by the harness and measure the resistance to see if it's still functional. I forgot the resistance, but I'm pretty sure Jeffsai would know it.
Old 12-01-08, 04:21 PM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Default ?

ok, so where does it plug in? im a little confusd b/c it was not yanked, but just pinched real good? what is the first thing i should try to do? i am not taking it to the stealership. can i get a new line and replace it?
Old 12-01-08, 06:00 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by elclassico
ok, so where does it plug in? im a little confusd b/c it was not yanked, but just pinched real good? what is the first thing i should try to do? i am not taking it to the stealership. can i get a new line and replace it?
If you take the fender liner off, you'll see where the ABS sensor wire is run up to the plug. From there, unplug it and test the resistance. If it's working correctly, the resistance should be 1.6-1.7K Ohms. Check out jeff's website to repair your ABS sensor line if it's cut. http://www.projectgs.com/DIY/SuspBrake/ABSVSC/index.htm
Old 12-01-08, 07:30 PM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Default '''

thanx man, looks like i have a project this weekend.... so in the mean time no vsc or abs i assume? i will post results thanx again Alexus_300
Old 12-02-08, 10:55 AM
alzimme
Driver School Candidate

After the dreaded front lower ball joint breaking on mine, my VCS off/On and ABS light is on and the ABS does not work, but the VSC will work (just have to remember if you hit it or not). I tried resetting the ECU but they are still on, so its time to test the ABS and replace it if needed. Will the VSC on/off light reset automatically if the ABS is fixed?

Edit: Just read the last line of the DIY cable link. So nevermind on the question.

Last edited by alzimme; 12-02-08 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Eye kan reed...
Old 12-02-08, 03:17 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

thanx man, looks like i have a project this weekend.... so in the mean time no vsc or abs i assume? i will post results thanx again Alexus_300
Oh, even if your lights are light up like a christmas tree, the little devil VSC is still there. When I had my problem, I was driving very very spiritly up in the Dragon and have notice VSC kicked in many times. Also, what you might want to do is carefully break loose the 10mm(13 lb/ft. is the tq. spec.) nut holding on the abs sensor to the wheel hub and inspect to see if the grease has made contact with the sensor as that will throw a light also. If you have grease on the sensor, prepare to replace your bearings down the road.
Old 12-02-08, 03:42 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Default explain something to me....

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
Oh, even if your lights are light up like a christmas tree, the little devil VSC is still there. When I had my problem, I was driving very very spiritly up in the Dragon and have notice VSC kicked in many times. Also, what you might want to do is carefully break loose the 10mm(13 lb/ft. is the tq. spec.) nut holding on the abs sensor to the wheel hub and inspect to see if the grease has made contact with the sensor as that will throw a light also. If you have grease on the sensor, prepare to replace your bearings down the road.
i did my tein CS install and got the dreaded lights.
I took out the abs wire and checked for resistance but could not find any. i cut the wire at three different places along the wire ( i can always solder it back) but even so there seems to be no resistance which makes me believe that the wire is fine and maybe the broken wire is actually at the head of the sensor.
I just read your post and noticed that there was white grease on the sensor i unplugged as u described above.
if the grease on the sensor could have thrown the lights, can i just wipe it off and put it back and have it work or is it hopeless and totally irreusable?

please advise.

thanks

olddog
Old 12-03-08, 05:33 PM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Default ok

well i removed the wire and disconnected the abs sensor. i cant really see any breaks in the wire? also the sensor does have grease on it but the very middle has a clean dot? is the grease around the edges normal or should it be completely clean? i only have 70k so i dont think i need to replace bearings just yet i hope? please help i have the car up and want to take care of this asap. thanks to all/..
Old 12-03-08, 06:20 PM
Absy
Driver School Candidate

this happened to me when i disconnected the battery to reset the ECU.

I had to recalibrate the VSC. The error was getting was with the YAW censors.
Old 12-03-08, 07:14 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by olddog
i did my tein CS install and got the dreaded lights.
I took out the abs wire and checked for resistance but could not find any. i cut the wire at three different places along the wire ( i can always solder it back) but even so there seems to be no resistance which makes me believe that the wire is fine and maybe the broken wire is actually at the head of the sensor.
I just read your post and noticed that there was white grease on the sensor i unplugged as u described above.
if the grease on the sensor could have thrown the lights, can i just wipe it off and put it back and have it work or is it hopeless and totally irreusable?

please advise.

thanks

olddog
The white grease was indeed the culprit for the lights coming on in my car. I had to remove all the control arms and brake system as I was replacing Daizen bushings along with BBK and coilovers when I did mine. What you want to do is take a soft piece of cloth and wipe the grease off of the magnetic sensor and reinstall it back into the wheel hub. I found out what had happen was that inside of the wheel hub, there is a ABS ring that senses the rotation of the wheel and is picked up by the magnet inside of the ABS sensor. So if the sensor is covered in grease, it won't read the notched on the ABS wheel.
Old 12-03-08, 07:18 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

well i removed the wire and disconnected the abs sensor. i cant really see any breaks in the wire? also the sensor does have grease on it but the very middle has a clean dot? is the grease around the edges normal or should it be completely clean? i only have 70k so i dont think i need to replace bearings just yet i hope? please help i have the car up and want to take care of this asap. thanks to all/..
You're not going to physically be able to tell if the wires are broken as it is covered up in a protective sleeve and on top of that, each wire has insulator. What you would need to do is take a multimeter and test the resistance on the ABS sensor to see if its working correctly.
Old 12-03-08, 07:22 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Absy
this happened to me when i disconnected the battery to reset the ECU.

I had to recalibrate the VSC. The error was getting was with the YAW censors.
Disconnecting the battery does not do anything to your VSC system as the codes are stored inside of the traction ECU. So when you initially startup the car, the traction ECU runs a preliminary check of the system and if the problem is still there, it will still store the code until you fix the problem. Also, be very very careful when recalibrating your YAW Rate sensor as if it is not setup correctly, you abs and vsc will trigger all the time. If you need the instruction to calibrate, let me know.
Old 12-03-08, 09:15 PM
olddog
Pole Position

since you already know which sensor is broken u are lucky. u even have a head start since u know where the pinch is. Saves you the painful trouble of having to start finding where along the wire line is broken.
just take it out and solder together and u should be good to go.
or buy new one at delaer for over $200...

Quick Reply: vsc abs and vsc off lights stay on?