GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Atlanta Drag Strip ClubLexus Meet Write Up - Long

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-02, 04:49 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Atlanta Drag Strip ClubLexus Meet Write Up - Long

First of all, I had a great time. It was cool hanging out with a few of the Atlanta guys: sick, mumbles, jazziz, dr rick. The weather was clear and a little brisk (50s), but beautiful.

It would have been a ton better had a few things been different:

1. It would’ve been great if could learn to launch my car correctly on a track.
2. The friggin waits weren’t so long.

We got in the tech check out line ~ 11? Left at ~6 maybe? Each of us got in 2 runs. Yes, 2.

There were so many cars there, it was more like a car show in the wait line – all hoods raised (even though for temp reasons), everyone walking around checking out the other rides, chattin, BS’in.

Mostly attending was good old American muscle. A ton of Mustangs, Cameros, Firebirds, a few trucks, then sprinkled in among those were a few imports like Hondas, Subarus, and a few Supra boys that had some very clean rides. “Pro” cars were there too, and jeee-zus, they were loud; so loud, if they were next to you in line, their engine notes shook your car – that’s with the windows and sunroof closed. There were a couple of “exotics”: one of ours – Dave’s GF’s NSX, a Viper, and a Lingenfelter Vette. I know one thing, we were the best looking ones there.

Yeah, we were waiting so long between moving forward, you turned off your engine, got out, and walked around.

From what I could gather, this was the first event for the season, add to that, some kind of fluid had leaked onto the track during some of the first runs, and things were SLOOOW.

My First Run

Well, I finally make it up to the front of the line and my heart is pounding hard. I watch the cars stage; they roll through some water, do a burn out, roll up to start the lights, then go. My head is racing (do I go through the water? - I’m gonna get smoked – worry about your own clock – punch or feather? – power break? – man, all my crap is in the trunk…etc) I didn’t feel like messing with my tire pressure – left it alone.

I close up everything, D, ECT Power, VSC off, fan off. I get directed to the right lane and I get paired with a white civic lunchbox that has been gutted, pods, and has a license plate reading V8 KILLA - great

I pull though the water, then stop and holler at the guy there “Do I need to do a burn out?!!” He looks at me like I got 4 heads. I don’t. The next guy directs me forward to the staging lites (*****! what’s the sequence again?); the civic is revving his engine – sounds like a friggin chain saw about to explode. I’m in la-la land, and I roll up to the first light trip, OK. My heart is about to come out of my chest. I roll up to the next light trip with left foot on break, right on gas.

Yellow, yellow, yellow, green – GO!

I can’t remember the process, but I don’t think I power broke that much, but I stabbed it pretty good off the line – result? I’m not exaggerating when I tell you I smoked my tires for easily ¼ of the track, maybe more. Dr. Ricks brother was in the stands, and he saw me, and when we all met up a little later, he asked me if that was me. He said it was unreal watching it – crazy.

I look at my tach, and I’m a hair below redline, still there, still there, still there – I felt like I was in slow motion. I looked to the left, and see the bleachers, slowly passing by I might add, look in the rearview for a sec, and nothing but smoke behind me.

About halfway down the track, I let off the gas to quit, and cruise to the end. I’m in a fuzz to the end, so not exactly sure what I was thinking, but I remember reaching slip booth and not really wanting to see.

Smoooooth – 19 seconds. I cringe – then I laugh – I smoked halfway down the track! I pull to our meeting place in the grass and am a little frustrated, so wait for soooo long, then mess up, but hey, it was my first time, and I really had no idea WTF I was doing.   Sorry guys; I’m not going to scan a 19 sec timeslip – hehehe Reaction time – 1.2 – OMG Found out from a real driver later, Don’t wait to see the green; time it yourself at the end of the last yellow. Dang it…..

Kind of a anti-climactic event; you know? You wait and wait and wait, then its over in a few seconds.

Oh well.

We all met up after our first runs, then grabbed a bite at the concession stand, and decided to try it again.

My Second Run

Long story short, I tried to remain much more focused than last time (not that says a whole heck of a lot….) but concentrated on feathering the launch, and watching the lights, that’s it. Same parameters as before: D, VSC off, closed up, fan off. I drove around the water this time, and did a small burn out anyway.

Great – a modded SS.

I was so twitchy about my RT before, I red-lighted (a collective groan sweeps over the crowd….) AND, I was concerned about traction, so I feathered it a little on take off; OK, I feathered it too damn much, and by the time I realized it, I wanted to quit that run too, but I stood on it, and managed a sweeeet NVD 16. Excuse me while I go vomit.

Oh well. I could have stayed and run all night; I really wanted to learn how to do this. It is a world apart from street racing; so many variables – maybe more than street. I know I’ve never lit ot up for 100yrds on the street before 

Items to remember for next time:

1. Have a dedicated picture / video guy. It would have been really cool to see and capture some of the other runs, but can’t cause you’re stuck in line. A black 15 year limited edition Supra, with the 30day handwritten tag still on it hit the wall – sucks.

2. Take everything movable out of your car. We drove straight there, and had to leave all out luggage, coolers, briefcases, spare tires, etc. in the car.

3. Do some research before you go to the track, launching, tips, etc: I didn’t do enough of this, and it really showed.

4. Bring your own food and drinks in a cooler. The video guy can watch it for ya.

Other comments:

The track seemed really slippery from the get go. After I spun for so long, then heard about the Supra, and the leaked fluids, I got a little concerned.

I DID witness a couple pretty good times from some civics and WRXs out there. I saw a blue WRX sedan, newer I think, run a 13.5xxx, not positive. I don’t know what he had done, but he launched well, and I know had at least an exhaust.

Any of the haters out there that are going to say I’m making excuses – my only one is: ignorance I didn’t know what I was doing, and what I did do, I did incorrectly , so please don’t make the GS out to be a 16 sec car. The most stock GS guy there (mumbles) had the best time out of all of us, and I think it was close to a magazine time; he’ll post it if he wants.

I truly look forward to my next opportunity to go to a strip.

Here are a few pics - they are not that great, the others who took some should be better.
Attached Thumbnails Atlanta Drag Strip ClubLexus Meet Write Up - Long-tech-ckeck-line-jazziz-1st2.jpg  

Last edited by ///MDex; 02-24-02 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-24-02, 04:50 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Default 2

Attached Thumbnails Atlanta Drag Strip ClubLexus Meet Write Up - Long-noses-lined-up.jpg  
Old 02-24-02, 04:54 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Default 3

Attached Thumbnails Atlanta Drag Strip ClubLexus Meet Write Up - Long-front-shot-line-up.jpg  
Old 02-24-02, 05:23 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you all had a great time.. When LexusRules and I went out to Cayuga that was the first time I had ever participated in 1/4 mile runs and the way you described it Dexter was exactly the way I felt.. I gotta admit I loved the adreneline rush that you get..

I've evened framed my time slips since I don't think I will do that again but its another life experience that I hope more of us can at least try once!
Old 02-24-02, 05:42 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dex, i thought that we all agreed that yesterday never happened!!!! but since you put it out there, and a guy in the "club meetings" section saw me, i guess ill let it out. let me start by saying that today, looking at that "107" written on my window in white shoe polish, i was disappointed in my car for the first time. and that really hurts to say. <sniffle> bear with me guys this is really hard for me right now. i get to track about 2 hrs later than everyone else so after they go through inspections, they have a good jump on me. so my brother is in the stands watching while im in line and calls and tells me about all the guys runs. told me to be careful, b/c dex and davegs4 smoked half the track up. so after about 2 hrs, its finally my turn. im racing a 78 camaro, 350 cu, dart heads, etc. so im like great, this should be fun. mind you i already know the times that the guys have run, so im figuring ill knock out fast time of the day and carry the banner for CL...........not. i DO my burnout (bout the highlight of the day) and stage. the thing is when you stage, i feel rushed to power brake, rev to the right rpm, and still concentrate on the light. well the countdown starts, and i cut a good light and positively smoke this old guy. im so hype that i dont even go by the shed and pick up my slip. visions of 14.1's or 13.9's are dancing in my head. uh no.........my brother calls me on the cell and tells me. lets try 15.15 @ 95. im like WTF!!!!!!! at least i won.
so i meet up with the rest of the crew. now by this time im ready to find solice looking up at the bottom of a bottle. but of course they want to run again. great, why not add alittle salt in this wound. so we stage again and wait. this time i watch dex and his 16.x, so im like this aint gonna be good. to top it off im racing this girl in a modded mustang, 96 or so. another burnout and im ready to go. yellow, yellow, yellow, go. cut a .547 light not too much wheel spin and the result.....15.237 @ 94.23. and btw she smoked me.......14.1 2 98. so that confirms it, either i suck as a driver, my car sucks as dragger, or the track is slow as frozen turds. now im really ready to go.
so we bounce and have some fun with this firebird that wants to join the club. i take him from the back of the pack to the front narrowly entering the space b/w 1sicklex and this pickup (thanks for backing off, sick, even if you say that you didnt) we spent the rest of the evening getting a bite to eat and just having a good time. PS DaveGS4 may have the coolest girl in america. not only does she have a wicked fast car, but she'll drive the hell out of it. i think she did a 13.xx at the track and rides around in 3rd on the highway....just in case.
so thats it. i still love the car, but i am disappointed. and if youre like me, i would rather my parents beat the hell out me then to tell how disappointed they are. my only issue is, how come the 2 non-intake modified cars (sick and mumbles) had the fastest time.....on both runs. can someone answer that for me? like the terminator said.........ill be back. only the next time with more ammo. does anyone else hear the whirring sound???

Doc

Pics coming soon.

Last edited by DrRick; 02-24-02 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-24-02, 05:46 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just SICK right now Dex...........lol Let me get over this pain in my chest ,that you caused. I would have lie before I posted that time , those TL-S guys are gonna clown us for sure.

I'm just messing with you Dex.........I know we run mid 14s.
Old 02-24-02, 05:52 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

GS400_Pusher, i actually hope some local TL guys see this and feel ballsy enough to try. b/c they can still get it!!!! just b/c i can drive at the strip doesnt mean im easy pickins'. actually all the cars there ran slower than i would have thought. this guy had a Z06 that ran a 13.5 and we all know that they are faster than that. some of the more knowledgeable racers said that the track was green since this was the first time it had been run on since late october or so. whatever, i ran what i ran and i aint happy about it. i need vindication so maybe I should post this at the TL and CL forums holla!!

Doc

PS.......mumbles youre ok with me, man!!!
Old 02-24-02, 05:56 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by GS400_PUSHER
I would have lie before I posted that time , those TL-S guys are gonna clown us for sure.
I know, I know. I could care less what they say. But I'll fess up. Shoot, I was hoping for low14s, maybe flat. Regardless, it was a great time.
Old 02-24-02, 08:30 PM
ming 2.7T
Driver

Well, I congratulate for at least going to a track and getting a timeslip!! Seriously!!!
I smiled when I read the stories in this thread, drag racing is a hoot!!! If you dont die form a heartattack at the staging, you have to try to calm your self and the attack of the adrenaline rush.
Its kinda hard to think about all you need to do to get that "perfect" run, even when driving an automatic. Can you imagine trying a manual for your first time at a track!!.
Sound like you all had a good time, and thats what its really all about. The times will come and sometimes they dont, but you can still have fun with friends at the track.
No that you tried it go back and do it again. And after a few times, try to hook up with a drivers event and do some driving on road courses. Learn how your car handles and feels at the edge and when it goes over the edge. Drivers events that have dry and wet skidpad training is fantastic. You can spinout in a controlled area and not damage anything!!
Again nice job and head back and "GET SOME"!!!! Good luck.
Old 02-24-02, 09:27 PM
LexFather

Thumbs up

Well it was a *****ing pleasure to hang out with my ClubLexus brethen and get my slow as times at the track too!!!

Jazziz, Mumbles and I FLEW from the Dave & Busters in Gwinett about 9:20 am (as we said) and arrive around 10 at Commerce.

CARS FOR DAYS. WRX's, Civics, a Viper, Z06s, Supras (with 1 wrecking ) Mustangs, 5.0s, Cameros and Chevelles, Novas, etc etc.

WE HAD A BLAST. Waiting in line did suck (we only got 2 runs in) but we talked all day and check the other cars out.

My first RUN OF MY LIFE I did a 15.050 (AC on in the 1/4 mile , like the rest of the gang, I AIN'T KNOW WHAT THE ***** I was doing and I got KILLED by a Ligenfelter Vette(did a 12.2)

My second run (3 hrs later) I swore we would break the 14 barrier, newbie and all.

GOT A 14.997

Had a blast, the track did suck to me though, at 60mph I felt my car drifting sideways.

We ate at Bahama Breeze in Gwinett Later (raced down) where DaveGS4 paid for our appetizers and drinks while we waited (THANKS MAHN )!

I'll never forget my first time here and hopefully many more to come.
1SICKLEX
Jazziz
Mumbles
Silk (yellow IS 300)
Dr. Rick

FROM North CAROLINA
DaveGS4
Dexter
and the V-8 killa #1Stunner NSX driving 2 cool Dave's girl Krista!!!!
Old 02-24-02, 09:32 PM
LexFather

Dr.Rick, I did back off to let you pass! I was so tired at the resturant I ain't know WHAT you were talking about
Old 02-24-02, 09:43 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

here are a few pics. does anyone know how to reduce to size (in mb's) of pics. some where taken and are very large and a pain to put up. here goes

1. My car the eve before the slaughter...
Attached Thumbnails Atlanta Drag Strip ClubLexus Meet Write Up - Long-dsc00008.jpg  
Old 02-24-02, 09:45 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

2. burnout in staging.....
Attached Thumbnails Atlanta Drag Strip ClubLexus Meet Write Up - Long-dsc00031.jpg  
Old 02-24-02, 09:48 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

3. Dex driving under the Tunnel of Love.
Attached Thumbnails Atlanta Drag Strip ClubLexus Meet Write Up - Long-dsc00028.jpg  
Old 02-24-02, 09:51 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Default Brings back memories...

Back to the old pharts club (Mean Gene, you out there?). I give you guys a lot of credit taking your cars out to the drag strip. I doubt I ever will with the GS. As far as your results, you all get an attaboy! The track conditions don't sound bad but the first rule of racing is to be fastest on the day of the race. The published numbers on a GS (or M5 or AMG or insert whatever you want) are not entirely meaningless but not very useful either. Driver reactions are paramount in drag racings. For all you road race snobs, respect a good drag racer. In a road race, even a sprint, you have a lot of time to pick your nose. In a drag race, you have to be as near perfect as possible for 15 seconds (or 5, ugh). Respect that. Getting all the traction a track has to give at any time is a devil of a tough thing to do. If you go again, you will get better with better reaction times. I hate say it but you can go get an old F body or Mustang that will probably be as fast (or faster)as the GS and pay less for it what it is going to cost you if you break the GS. As for the intake, cruel facts of life. The point of the intakes talked about here is improved breathing. Inevitably that takes higher RPMs. You can whine all you want but it is impossible to get superb performance at all RPM bands. The intakes may improve with tweaking but if they are giving up power/torque at the lower RPMs they just may never make it up over the quarter mile. You are just not at the higher revs that long to make it up. Recommendation for the next time - get all the weight out you can. Don't have more than a quarter tank of gas(less if you can cut it that close) and get the spare and jack out. For you GT3 racers who want to discuss more weight in the rear for traction - go out to the drag strip. A street car doesn't benefit in traction what it gives up in bulk. Same applies to autocrossing. If you have the stock intake, take the filter out for your runs. Last thing, buy a good tire pressure gauge and start playing around. Keep the fronts pumped up to reduce friction and reduce the rears to improve traction. I can guarantee you that the regulars were playing all these tricks and a few more- can you say "Fuel Additive or Traction Compound? Or don't go again but have some great memories from your night at the strip. You all won compared to the vast majority of people who have never run a car on any kind of race course.

Quick Reply: Atlanta Drag Strip ClubLexus Meet Write Up - Long