GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HID for High Beams??

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-08, 02:47 PM
sevmook
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID for High Beams??

Hello everyone.
I was wondering if anyone has done HID for their high beam. I am asking this, because the high beams are the DRL but with less power. correct me if iam wrong. So I am wondering if Ill be fine if I put HIDs in the high beams?. some pictures would be appreciated.
thank you
Old 12-11-08, 02:51 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can't do it until you disable your DRL.

but once you do disable them and put in the HID kit - ohhhhhhhhhhhh- it is GLOOOOOOOOOOOORIIIIIOUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSS!!!

haha.
Old 12-11-08, 02:58 PM
RI-Lex
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe member J cat has a 3000k in the highbeam, im sure he'll chime in on how to disable the DRL's.
Old 12-11-08, 03:47 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah if you search on disable DRL you'll find the info on how to do it; I haven't gotten around to it but I read through the threads on it a while back.

One more thing to consider is that you'll decrease the life of the bulbs by turning them on and off quickly as you frequently would with high beams. Be prepared to replace bulbs more frequently than you normally would with low-beams.
Old 12-11-08, 05:05 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Try retrofitting some smaller bi-xenons into the highbeam. Probably the best solution to having HID high beam without worrying about it constantly going on and off. However, you'll probably have to leave the low beam portion on at night also. But hey, more output?
Old 12-11-08, 09:51 PM
jacksonvp
Pole Position

I have HID high beams. The DRL's run at lower voltage, therefore, it won't have enough power to kick the ballast on. For me the DRL's dont work, but High beams do. I personally decided this was a worthy sacrifice for the increased night output, my city lights are bright enough to see during day anyways.

I don't understand this "disable your DRL" issue people are coming into, you simply put a HID kit on your high beam and the DRL is disabled.

If you wanted the HID's to turn on with your DRL's then you can get the DRL module to provide enough power to kick your ballasts on.
http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/P...id/0/SFV/32481

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-pictures.html

-Jackson
Old 12-12-08, 01:12 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jacksonvp
I have HID high beams. The DRL's run at lower voltage, therefore, it won't have enough power to kick the ballast on. For me the DRL's dont work, but High beams do. I personally decided this was a worthy sacrifice for the increased night output, my city lights are bright enough to see during day anyways.

I don't understand this "disable your DRL" issue people are coming into, you simply put a HID kit on your high beam and the DRL is disabled.

-Jackson
i 2nd this. i have high beam HIDS also and all i did was install a kit and they work fine....no disabling nething for me....
Old 12-12-08, 09:39 PM
1GStoEnvy
Lexus Champion

i have HIDs in my high beams.... and i didn't have to disable the DRLs.... i just installed the kit.
Old 12-13-08, 01:41 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1GStoEnvy
i have HIDs in my high beams.... and i didn't have to disable the DRLs.... i just installed the kit.
So what happens during the day?
Old 12-13-08, 04:28 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
That's what I'm wondering because you would have to leave your lights on all the time. I remember when I installed an HID kit in my highbeams the bulb kept flickering so I had to turn on the lowbeams.
Old 12-13-08, 06:59 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

I thought the DRL was created by the little 194 bulb? I too have HID's for high's and dont have any problems.
Old 12-13-08, 09:19 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RI-Lex
I believe member J cat has a 3000k in the highbeam, im sure he'll chime in on how to disable the DRL's.
haha nahh i don't have the HID highs....just found some yellow halogens that work pretty decent from fleabay (same as fogs).

as far as disabling the DRL so you can run HID in the high beams all you need is a relay to run with the kit. The stock relay is a 3 way switch: off, DRL (50%voltage) and on (100%voltage). The relay you would need obviously would only be a 2-way (on/off). I personally haven't done it and don't know where to get the relays, cliffud might, or one of the other members that has the LED high beams, i believe they had to do the relay too.

will agree with cliff though, i've seen a couple cars with HID all around up front, and it does look hot
Old 12-13-08, 01:51 PM
1GStoEnvy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
my DRLs don't work anymore... i kinda gave it up for the hids... but i din't have to disable anything like i thought i would..... maybe it depends on the brand of hid kit.... i didn't buy some cheap china kit... so that could be why....

-john
Old 12-13-08, 01:56 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

But let me get this straigh, with HID high beams, don't HID bulbs take a while to warm up before they get bright? So if u gotta flash somebody, you highs wont be strong enough.
Old 12-13-08, 03:39 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

This would be good to know... I'm planning this mod in January and would definitely like to know. From what I recall, it was a straight swap... no need for another relay... but, if that's the case, then I might just do the relay mod to keep all three lights on at once.

Quick Reply: HID for High Beams??