GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

well guys 275/30 fits!!!! WOOOOT WOOOT!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-08, 12:25 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ADAM P
ive had 285/30/20's on the last few sets of wheels ive had on my 98 GS and they fit fine with nothing more then an extremely slight roll. id do 295/25's if the tires werent so damn expensive
You may want to add additional info, like wheel specs before more newbs try fitting tires that clrearly won't fit and all just because they read somewhere that they would.

Originally Posted by handoverfi
man i dont know how you guys are fitting these wide **** tires!
It's called using the correct offset
Old 12-25-08, 12:39 PM
Jedidiah
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you seeee me make a new thread?? this is the same one i made a few weeks ago and YES im running a slight camber and i know i can run a smaller tire and it will fit but i dont want an exposed lip.

geezz what ever happened to asking for some help. even the shop had trouble torquing the lugs down. so i took the wheels off the car for now. I either got to get bigger lugs or got to see if the tapper inside the holes need to be redone. That is what the shop told me the problem was..the tapper

anyways here are some pix of the car day after i got her back from the shop! it rubed so im just gona raise it up a big!

Camber, trim the fenders down to the edge, run a mild stretched tire.

I don't want to give you a hard time, but its really not that difficult. I run of 3 degrees of negative camber in the front and back, trimmed both up front and back and run a mild stretch in the front and back.

With that said, I'm in outside sales and drive my car something like 2500-3000 miles a month... it can be done!
Old 12-25-08, 04:44 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you can't run an agressive offset and expect it just to bolt on without fender mods, camber, stretched tire, etc.... Its the same thing EVERYONE has been telling you. IT WILL NOT FIT WITHOUT RUNNING MODS, OR CAMBER, OR STRETCHED TIRES OR COMBINATION OF TWO, OR ALL.......I hope you're using conical seated lug nuts as well for the aftermarket wheels....
Old 12-25-08, 06:43 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by speedaddic
I hope you're using conical seated lug nuts as well for the aftermarket wheels....
I wouldn't bet on it.

trust me the stock lugs are fine! but if you want to go buy the after market lugs ago ahead i never bought the after market ones when i did have the g35 wheels!
Old 12-25-08, 07:32 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

you can't run stock lugnuts on an aftermarket wheel. The stock lugnuts are acorn style taper and the aftermarket wheels have conical. The G35 wheels are a STOCK wheel, that's why the stock lugnuts worked. Its the same taper. The aftermarket wheel is a conical seat, which requires a conical lugnut...that's why they can't torque them down...you're going to ruin those wheels.....
Old 12-25-08, 08:18 PM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

^Listen to him, man. I was going to tell you the same thing. I am extremely shocked that the wheel shop is oblivious enough to use the stock lug nuts with the aftermarket wheels. The stock lug nut is not going to seat correctly on the wheel. You are asking for MAJOR trouble. Please keep the roads safe by using the proper lug nuts.
Old 12-25-08, 08:24 PM
handoverfi
Pole Position

you can't run an agressive offset and expect it just to bolt on without fender mods, camber, stretched tire, etc.... Its the same thing EVERYONE has been telling you. IT WILL NOT FIT WITHOUT RUNNING MODS, OR CAMBER, OR STRETCHED TIRES OR COMBINATION OF TWO, OR ALL.......I hope you're using conical seated lug nuts as well for the aftermarket wheels....

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
I wouldn't bet on it.
you can't run stock lugnuts on an aftermarket wheel. The stock lugnuts are acorn style taper and the aftermarket wheels have conical. The G35 wheels are a STOCK wheel, that's why the stock lugnuts worked. Its the same taper. The aftermarket wheel is a conical seat, which requires a conical lugnut...that's why they can't torque them down...you're going to ruin those wheels.....
WTF is wrong with you guys jumping down my throat???? my fenders are shaved, im getting pulled fenders this weekend. I AM CAMBERING slightly. ANd the wheels arnt even on my car anymore. And why the hell you guys assuming im using stock lugs on my mayA's?? i didn't say anything about me using stock lugs i have gorilla tuner lugs. I used my stock lugs on my old g35 wheels b.c those wheels ARE stock themselves. I know i cant use stock lugs on my new wheels they are too big for one.

And people who live in houston perhaps knows jason@prestige his shop is very reputable here. hes the one that put my mayas on and told me the lugs arnt torquing correctly with my GORILLA LUGS.

by the time you read this i hope you guys see that my fenders are MODDED i am running some camber and i am not using stock lugs on my mayas. i dont know how many times i said it but if i didnt say it enough and you guys didnt see it o well..........

but i guesss i should have specified what kind of lugs i had 1st
Originally Posted by whazzzzuup
^Listen to him, man. I was going to tell you the same thing. I am extremely shocked that the wheel shop is oblivious enough to use the stock lug nuts with the aftermarket wheels. The stock lug nut is not going to seat correctly on the wheel. You are asking for MAJOR trouble. Please keep the roads safe by using the proper lug nuts.

i think any good shop would FIRST tell me something about stock lugs and laugh at me if i gave them stock lugs to use with aftermarket wheels. i have gorilla tuner lugs

Last edited by handoverfi; 12-25-08 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-25-08, 09:49 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

not jumping down your throat. Ok, you shaved your fenders and ran slight camber....but then went backwards and put on a wider tire?? kind of defeats the purpose of slight camber and shaved fenders if you're just going to run a wider tire...hope everything works out for ya...
Old 12-25-08, 10:47 PM
evil00017
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same size rims as you and was having rubing issues in the rear as well. It was a long battle but I finally found a shop that would roll/pull the rear fenders. I went to like 3 very professional places in san diego and the first 2 wouldnt even touch it. They said the rear fenders are just to thick to pull. The last place which works on lambos and ferraris and such said they would give it there best shot at "rolling" them. I was like what do I have to lose. Whatever they did worked and it looks perfect.

I just lowered my car down all the way down on my coilovers no rubing in the rear. No extra camber necissary aside from what lowering gave me. I am very pleased with the result....except now I rub in the front
Old 12-26-08, 02:24 AM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

From this picture, it looks like you can eliminate the rubbing from running a bigger stretch/thinner tire. Looks like a 245 or 255 will do (rear). Good luck with fitting them.
Old 12-26-08, 03:03 AM
handoverfi
Pole Position

not jumping down your throat. Ok, you shaved your fenders and ran slight camber....but then went backwards and put on a wider tire?? kind of defeats the purpose of slight camber and shaved fenders if you're just going to run a wider tire...hope everything works out for ya...
Well that piece of info i didnt know. i mean half the guy on here would be like buy the wheels 1st and make them fit later i guess im in that phase of making them fit. before i bought the 285 i was expecting some sort of issue with rubbing. i went this wide tire b.c i dont want my lips exposed. I know the stretched tires would have cleared. Rear wheels were already cambered from me lowering it from before. I shaved the fenders b/c i knew the 285 wouldnt fit without me getting that removed. But i didnt know the purpose to camberiing and shaving is to run the stretched tire. im sure alot of guys on here are running wide *** tires with the same fender mods im doing. So are they going backwards and defeating the purpose also???

just a question??? And when i meant i needed bigger lugs i mean bigger tuner lugs. MR. Jefftsai recommanded mcgard tuner lugs. so i been searching high and low for those all week long. NO luck
Originally Posted by evil00017
I have the same size rims as you and was having rubing issues in the rear as well. It was a long battle but I finally found a shop that would roll/pull the rear fenders. I went to like 3 very professional places in san diego and the first 2 wouldnt even touch it. They said the rear fenders are just to thick to pull. The last place which works on lambos and ferraris and such said they would give it there best shot at "rolling" them. I was like what do I have to lose. Whatever they did worked and it looks perfect.

I just lowered my car down all the way down on my coilovers no rubing in the rear. No extra camber necissary aside from what lowering gave me. I am very pleased with the result....except now I rub in the front
what size tire are you running??? And im glad it hear you finally got your situation resolved! hows the rubbing issues when you got people in the back???

Originally Posted by whazzzzuup

From this picture, it looks like you can eliminate the rubbing from running a bigger stretch/thinner tire. Looks like a 245 or 255 will do (rear). Good luck with fitting them.
Yea i know. but i just dont want to have an exposed lip! I seriously thinking of running a 255/30 or 255/35 after these wear down in the rear. I dont want to run a 295/25 someone suggested that and i thought that might be a bit to much meat. And besides someone also made a comment of running the corrected offset also. I mean the rear is only a +29 i didnt think that would require to much fender modding but i guess since i ran the big tire it will! If i can get these tires cleared with a fender pull and no rubbing im sticking with that. I love the stance with the size tires i got, i love the height all the way around it looks nice to me. Its low enough to me to where i know it will not scrap in most places!!!

Last edited by handoverfi; 12-26-08 at 03:24 AM.
Old 12-26-08, 11:53 AM
evil00017
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rear fenders completely clear everything even under compression. I lifted the car up and put a jack under the tire and started compressing the wheel up into the fender its tight along the sides but no rubing. It clears the top by a clean margin. I am runing a 265/35 in the rear.
Here is what I noticed about the offset. No matter how stretched of a tire you get at a certain point it will hit the rim itself so you cant really fix this problem with a super stretched tire. However if you do a pull in combo with having your fender shaved and do a moderatly stretched tire I think that would be the best setup. I think going a 255 would probably be the safest bet. When I am done with these tires I will probably go to a 255. A 275/285 i dont think would work even with a pull because I think you would start rubing on the sides of the fender.
Old 12-26-08, 01:50 PM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

Evilooo17, are you rolling on the Donz Montanas wheels? If so, your rear wheel is 20x10 and +30 offset. According to his rear wheel specs (20x10.5 +29), his wheel protrudes out 7mm more than your rear wheel.
Old 12-26-08, 01:58 PM
MrExecutiv
Lexus Champion

The tire sizes shouldn't really even be a problem if you just bought a smaller size tire. You told us you really didn't want to do a lot of fender work and a fender shave and roll would be the most you'll do, so you should've ran a 255/265 tire on the rears. these sizes should give you enough tire to be able to daily drive safely. you ask us for help and we are here to give you our help based on our personal experience. we are not trying to bash you or give you a hard time, but if you can see almost all of us have the same answers to your questions, maybe next time try considering our advice based on our own experience.
Old 12-26-08, 02:07 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

What's wrong with exposed lips? I like exposed lips.

Learn how to park and you should have no problems. Because if you do there will be a thread about it.

Quick Reply: well guys 275/30 fits!!!! WOOOOT WOOOT!!!!