GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

black GS with chrome wheels? ghetto or decent?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-08 | 12:37 PM
ICEBERGS
Lead Lap

I think that it all depends on the style of rim. chrome IMO doesnt automaticaly say ghetto like the crazy *** styles you see from player, lexani, etc that make me wanna puke. it also depends what type of look you want to go for. I think that if fyou are going with a chrome rim, it should be classy and clean, something that would set it off but not very flashy. Im not at all sure of the build quality of the Sevas, but that is a nice rim and IMO would look good staggered on a black GS....I have chrome on my car and I get my share of compliments, then again i could be bias!

Last edited by ICEBERGS; 12-12-08 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-12-08 | 12:39 PM
9secCivic
Driver

i can find silver all day, but not chrome!
Old 12-12-08 | 12:42 PM
9secCivic
Driver

i think it looks fine on a silver car.....just wondering on the contrast of the black i guess? maybe im just a weirdo.
Old 12-12-08 | 01:32 PM
ICEBERGS
Lead Lap

Here are pics of my car:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...0221-pics.html
Old 12-12-08 | 01:52 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 9secCivic
this is my current project, which causes me to be budget on buying wheels....its actually in this months Turbo Magazine

funny i JUST read this article yesterday after having my subscriptions (modified, the now defunct Turbo, honda tuning, super street,maxim, car and driver, playboy,etc etc) all come in about the same time its been sitting on my floor for like 2 weeks
Old 12-12-08 | 01:56 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Here's my old one....
Attached Thumbnails black GS with chrome wheels?  ghetto or decent?-aaaaaaaa.jpg  
Old 12-12-08 | 02:16 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

i think it looks fine on a silver car.....just wondering on the contrast of the black i guess? maybe im just a weirdo.
Crazy, I don't care much for an all chrome wheel on a silver car, if I had silver I'd go silver w/chrome or polished lip. I'm not a big fan of the whole black wheel trend either. It all depends on your tastes! Almost any look can be done well and look great or be a disaster, I think you're on the right track and you obviously know what you're doing modding a car! Those Sevas would look good, if you can get a good deal try them out. If they're local maybe you can test fit them and see what you think in person before you commit to buy.
Old 12-12-08 | 04:03 PM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

It depends on the style of wheel. Here is my black car on chrome wheels:

More here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...coilovers.html
Old 12-12-08 | 04:20 PM
burma
Pole Position

do it, chrome looks good on a black GS. I think a silver wheel on a black gs is too plain, unless the wheel itself is a really nice design. There's nothing wrong with chrome, look at HRE, Asanti, Work, iForged....they all have mostly chrome wheels, its just the Lexani's of this world that give them a bad name haha
Old 12-12-08 | 04:47 PM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

Talking

never been a fan of chrome, but have an opportunity to purchase a staggered 20" set up that is chrome. ive spent the last few nights searching and i cant find any pictures of black GS's with decent looking chrome wheels....keep finding them with wheels that are so god awful it doesnt help things.

the wheels have a lip on them which would make it pretty easy to paint the centers matte black or something like that. i just cant make up my mind what i want to do.

if anybody could post up some pictures i would appreciate it!
I think if you're not going to chrome everything out you'll be fine. I think gettho would be trying to chrome everything on a black GS out. Here's a picture of my car I just have the regular trim still silver/chrome and the wheels thats it nothing more than that while everything is tinted or blacked out a little bit. Hope that helps
Attached Thumbnails black GS with chrome wheels?  ghetto or decent?-img_2320copy.jpg  
Old 12-12-08 | 05:07 PM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

i think it depends on ur ride height...if ur slammed..most wheels will look good..stock height=not so much
Old 12-12-08 | 08:26 PM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

Do you go by the SN: Turbo-charged on Honda-tech? Congrats on the feature. That car definitely deserves it!
Old 12-12-08 | 09:16 PM
Answer300
Racer

well, as long as you do a tasteful wheel, chrome will be just fine. try websites like rbwheels.com
they have ultra JDM wheels, lots in chrome finishing and for the price you're gonna pay on those; you can get a very NICE set of chrome wheels.
Old 12-12-08 | 09:29 PM
KNEXX
Lead Lap

What not to do...

I was speechless... anyways I think chrome can ruin a car. The stance is very important as well as any add-ons. Lexus did a great job with the chrome trim so theres no need to add more. The only piece I think ties well is the plate over the tag in chrome and the exhaust tips. Trust me when I say this, bc i felt the same way you do right now.

Last edited by KNEXX; 12-12-08 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-12-08 | 11:05 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by KNEXX
What not to do...

I was speechless... anyways I think chrome can ruin a car. The stance is very important as well as any add-ons. Lexus did a great job with the chrome trim so theres no need to add more. The only piece I think ties well is the plate over the tag in chrome and the exhaust tips. Trust me when I say this, bc i felt the same way you do right now.
WINNER!!!

Quick Reply: black GS with chrome wheels? ghetto or decent?