GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Mice in my Aircon?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-08, 04:02 PM
Bombsquad
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mice in my Aircon?

I've got a strange squeaking, chirping coming from my aircon vents and inside my dash? I'm sure I'd read something bout that before but cant find it now?
Old 12-13-08, 04:29 PM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol, mine sounds like a MONSTER.
Old 12-13-08, 04:33 PM
Bombsquad
Driver

Oh and we dont get mice here either, or monsters. Could be a koala or maybe a baby kangaroo? Or probably its my A/C! which is nice and cold, which is good, but is squeaky, which is bad. Right now its damn hot here!
Old 12-13-08, 04:45 PM
sinistervr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bombsquad
I've got a strange squeaking, chirping coming from my aircon vents and inside my dash? I'm sure I'd read something bout that before but cant find it now?
i am not sure were you read it but, im pretty sure the noise is coming from the a/c stepper motors.. if you leave the car on and running but have the a/c switched off you should hear the noise
Old 12-14-08, 08:04 PM
Bombsquad
Driver

Originally Posted by sinistervr
i am not sure were you read it but, im pretty sure the noise is coming from the a/c stepper motors.. if you leave the car on and running but have the a/c switched off you should hear the noise
Thanks! do you have any idea what can be done to combat the noise? can i lubricate something?? Great choice of rides too, I had a mk3 for 5years. Sold it to by my GS.
Old 12-14-08, 10:09 PM
sinistervr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bombsquad
Thanks! do you have any idea what can be done to combat the noise? can i lubricate something?? Great choice of rides too, I had a mk3 for 5years. Sold it to by my GS.
i believe its the stepper motor not beong able to find its location, i believe the motor or linkage(whatever s causing the binding) has to be replaced..

im not sure exactly, i have not had a chance to look at mine yes, but when i fix it i will let you know..

as for the gti, i like it.. was running c2 software and made the most power for any 12valve motor on c2.. but getting ready to redo it looking for 650whp
Old 12-14-08, 10:24 PM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

i've heard mice went into the engine bay and chewed up some wire. not sure about vent lol
Old 12-15-08, 04:23 AM
burma
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've always had this weird noise also, sounds like something running around inside my vents... but i always thought it was something normal in our cars, like part of the aircon system/cooling system.

i read a thread somewhere and people said that its normal so i guess i never really worried about it. can anyone confirm that its fine??
Old 12-15-08, 04:42 AM
sinistervr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by burma
i've always had this weird noise also, sounds like something running around inside my vents... but i always thought it was something normal in our cars, like part of the aircon system/cooling system.

i read a thread somewhere and people said that its normal so i guess i never really worried about it. can anyone confirm that its fine??
its the stepper motors or linkage for the stepper motors.. it wont hurt anything..
the purpose of the stepper motor and the linkage is to open and close flaps internally in your a/c system to divert the air where you want it to go..
ex- if you say you want a/c blowing toward feet only, when you press your a/c button to switch to that it has to close all the other vents to divert air toward the feet duct.. then lets say you want it toblow out at the normal vents. when you press the button to switch to that tthe motors and levers close all the flaps and open that one..

over time it binds or loses its position, so you will hear the motor going forward and back trying to find were it is..
Old 12-15-08, 01:30 PM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try removing the cabin filter and see if there is anything caught in the fan. i had the same problem and found out there was leaves in there causing the problem.
Old 12-15-08, 02:01 PM
Ckroush
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem. I heard the rustling sound in my dash for about a year before the motors(two of them) finally went out. After they completely died, it turned into a loud whirring noise, like an RC airplane and I heard it everytime I cranked the car up.

It's the A/C servo motor. It is what opens and closes the different vents, depending upon which mode you have it on. The problem is very common the RX models but affects ours too. As the motor is going out, it causes the arms that move up and down to grind a little.

I forget what I paid for mine, but I think it was like $200 each. I can't find it any longer, but there was a service guide on how to get behind the glovebox to see them. There are three different motors. You can unplug different ones and determine which one is causing the problem.

A/C Servo Troubles

Loud Buzzing Noise After They Finally Died

Strange Clicking Noise

Whats this Noise?
Old 12-17-08, 02:32 AM
Bombsquad
Driver

Awesome! I'll check it out, thanks all.