GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Two questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-08, 06:14 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Two questions

Since I got the car the ABS and VSC lights have been on. After I drove the car for a while the CEL light came on. I haven't had a chance to check it but what I did wanna know is what do you guys think it could be. Something common maybe? Ill post back after I get the code pulled.

Just a note the "VSC OFF" light is NOT on so im assuming the abs sensor wires are ok.

My second question is for the door lights at the bottom of the door. Do they have their own fuses? My driver side door and rear driver side doors dont light when I open up the door. My dome light does work. I put fresh LEDS in there and still nothing.
Old 12-13-08, 06:24 PM
phillygs3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mite be the abs sensor itself try cleaning it .
Old 12-14-08, 08:23 AM
Curry
Lexus Champion

I thought that sensor causes the "VSC OFF" light to come on as well. At least that's what I read happens.
Old 12-16-08, 08:04 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Anyone have any info on the door lights?
Old 12-17-08, 09:24 AM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Oh yea and a third question. When I push the button for pwr. I get no light on the dash. Any idea what that could be?
Old 01-01-09, 06:01 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Bumping this up. Another question came to mind.

I know most people who had issues with the ABS sensor gets the VSC OFF light. Why is it that I dont get that light? Is it related to my PWR light not coming on or working? Even if I push the button nothing happens, same for the pwr.

I checked my sensors when I did my ball joints and everything looks secure... I just want someone to verify how I can test for continuity with my multimeter.
Old 01-01-09, 07:14 PM
timgs300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Door

It could be as simple as the light bulb being out. Of course, each door has its own computer. My left rear door wouldn't work the lights when opened and the computer was at fault.

On my 98, I found that if you use a button a hundred times in a row, it might start working again. Seems like if something isn't used on a Lexus, it doesn't like it. So I use the hell out of it, and have had many buttons come back to life that way.
Old 01-01-09, 11:54 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Curry
CEL light came on.
stop guessing. goto autozone and get the code pulled.
Old 01-02-09, 04:38 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

I was not able to go before since I couldn't drive the car. Which is why I posted. I wanted to find out what other steps I should take while I was fixing the car.
Old 01-02-09, 10:19 PM
Emackny
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Could be a number of things Curry (which I'm sure you know) only option to pin point the problem is to get a scan but you can try checking under the center console for moisture or stains. If the prior owner spilled something in those switches it could short them out including your Yaw sensor (which is under the center console as well). Its a long shot but just throwing something out there. GL

Last edited by Emackny; 01-02-09 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-03-09, 09:47 AM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gottagitmines
Could be a number of things Curry (which I'm sure you know) only option to pin point the problem is to get a scan but you can try checking under the center console for moisture or stains. If the prior owner spilled something in those switches it could short them out including your Yaw sensor (which is under the center console as well). Its a long shot but just throwing something out there. GL
Yea that is a possibility since that area was sticky when I got the car LOL. Well the car is up and running. Im going to get the codes pulled either today or monday.
Old 01-03-09, 11:05 AM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Got the code pulled for the CEL a little while ago. I got P0141 twice. I figured my O2 was bad... my gas milage was craptastic. So one problem down.

I checked the pwr switch again, I think the bulb is just burned out. When I tried it, it seemed to work.
Old 01-10-09, 10:40 AM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Since I was installing my coilovers I decided to check the sensors first to see what was up. I physically inspected them while they were on and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

I disconnected them and tested them with my multimeter and I got 0 for both of the front sensors

Should I pull them off and try to see if there is a break in the wire?

If there is grease on the sensor itself would you still get a 0 reading on the multimeter?

Also I read that you can actually pull the code for an ABS/VSC light, I searched around but didn't find any info on this. Wrong terms perhaps.
Old 03-12-09, 08:11 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Ok guys need some more info.

I already took care of the o2 sensor problems so no more CEL.

Up until yesterday I had the VSC and ABS lights still on, NO VSC OFF light was on.

While I was lowering the fronts I pulled the sensors out and cleaned them up, there was i guess some kinda grease all over the tips?

I put them back in, while driving I noticed that the speedo still doesnt work and the ABS and VSC light was still on.

I get home and then I also notice the VSC OFF light is now on.

The last time I was down there I check the wires and didn't notice any break or weird bends or anything like that. So before I do the DIY fix I wanted to make sure I was checking them with my multimeter correctly.

I basically put each end of the meter into the plug and set the meter and I got a 0 reading. Im assuming this means there's a break somewhere...?
Old 03-13-09, 12:47 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Ok I think i'm heading the right direction here. I just fixed both front sensors and now I get a continuity reading on my multimeter of 1.6 something something yadda yadda. I had to chop them all the way off near the sensor which is where the break was on both of them

Anyway. I plugged them back in and drove around and my speedo works!!!!! Its kinda laggy, but I guess its the 20's? lol

My problem still remains, ABS, VSC and VSC OFF are on.

1. Do I need to reset the ECU for a longer period of time before they come off?

2. I didn't check the rears but i'm guessing I should try it and see?

3. If the VSC switch in the interior is shorted out, would that cause this as well?

Any ideas/suggestions on what to check next would be appreciated. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Two questions