GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

any regrets???

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-08, 01:13 PM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any regrets???

well im in the market for another 2nd Gen Gs 430, i had a streak of bad luck was push into down grading my car a few years ago. as things are coming along a little bit better i would like to jump into a GS once again. Well, as i did my online search for 2nd Gen Gs's I've notice that some 3rd Gen Gs's are a little bit more if not the same price as the 2Gen. So my question is, have anyone bought a 2nd Gen Gs and later wanted to upgrade to the 3Gen or thought to themselves "maybe i should have waited". Also with the new Camero coming out and the Challenger out and about looking very tempting. I've loved my 2nd Gen Gs 430 (2001) and for the 3 Gen, i can't get into the exterior look of it. To me it reminds me of a Maxima but the interior of it make a brother go . I've never drove let alone been in a 3rd Gen, for the guys who been on both sides of the fence have any input on the 3Gen. Im intrested in the handling, power, and feel of it compared to the 2nd Gen. Thanks for your input
Old 12-15-08, 01:24 PM
GS_OREO
Pole Position

I would jump on a 3GS if I could afford it. I bought my 2GS 2 years ago, but at the time I couldnt afford it. I'm satified with my car, but I been seeing alot of modified 2GS's around lately.

I never had the chance to drive the newer GS's but I'm sure you can't go wrong with it. Jump on the 3GS!
Old 12-15-08, 05:13 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i like the 2gs better i don't know why, if i ever buy another 2 GS it would be the 430
Old 12-15-08, 05:56 PM
rl9010
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Str8 VIP
well im in the market for another 2nd Gen Gs 430, i had a streak of bad luck was push into down grading my car a few years ago. as things are coming along a little bit better i would like to jump into a GS once again. Well, as i did my online search for 2nd Gen Gs's I've notice that some 3rd Gen Gs's are a little bit more if not the same price as the 2Gen. So my question is, have anyone bought a 2nd Gen Gs and later wanted to upgrade to the 3Gen or thought to themselves "maybe i should have waited". Also with the new Camero coming out and the Challenger out and about looking very tempting. I've loved my 2nd Gen Gs 430 (2001) and for the 3 Gen, i can't get into the exterior look of it. To me it reminds me of a Maxima but the interior of it make a brother go . I've never drove let alone been in a 3rd Gen, for the guys who been on both sides of the fence have any input on the 3Gen. Im intrested in the handling, power, and feel of it compared to the 2nd Gen. Thanks for your input
You should post this in the 3rd Gen forum too...since ex 2gen and current 3 geners can tell you their thoughts...I personally love my 2gen...u can see out of the cabin more...I found the A pillar in the 3gen quite distracting...but then again I only sat in it...But either way it's a gs...you can't go wrong
Old 12-15-08, 09:26 PM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

but i'll tell u one thing, Lexus did the new Ls, and Is better this time around. Man, i would go for a IS-F or the new Ls on any giving sunday but my wallet saying wendy's dollar menu instead of lobster and shrimp. well the 3Gen Gs is pretty much in the mid to lower $20's and i've found a few low mileage 2Gen Gs's for round about $15k. well im pretty sure the 3Gen Gs's will drop by this coming summer so if i find one around the same price as a 2nd Gen Gs's then i'll be stuck. Well i guess it all boils down to personal preference, im pretty sure after i drive the 3Gen Gs i might change my mind on it o yeah depending on the price as well, but as of today it looks like a Maxima on steriods
Old 12-16-08, 12:49 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My vote: GS350 AWD (but AWD only because I need it where I live) @ 5.3s to 60mph. You can't beat that in a 430!

Not only are the Big Three down, but so are the usual stalwarts including Toyota / Lexus. Dealers are dying for good buyers right now! Bring something new or used sweet home with your new found bargaining power.
Old 12-16-08, 05:09 AM
BAD RIDES

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

def .reminds me of a maxima too
Old 12-16-08, 07:49 AM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

I personally for some reason like the 2 generation GS's, I could have went with a GS430 (2006), but ended up with a 2002 GS430, the overall design looks more classy and timeless to me.
Old 12-16-08, 11:35 AM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
My vote: GS350 AWD (but AWD only because I need it where I live) @ 5.3s to 60mph. You can't beat that in a 430!

Not only are the Big Three down, but so are the usual stalwarts including Toyota / Lexus. Dealers are dying for good buyers right now! Bring something new or used sweet home with your new found bargaining power.
yes!! you strik up a good point jonny, i guess as time goes on the price of cars and houses will hit some pretty good lows. all im concered is getting a good trade in value for my 03 honda accord and getting low monthly payments on my new lexus (either 2nd or 3rd gen). the reason i want my payments low because if everything goes right i would like to finish up school for my BA degree in T-Com management. in order to do so i would have to take up to 16credits (about 5 classes) in order to finish out in six months. with that being said i won't have time to work enough to cover a high a$$ car payment, insurance, and maintance on the car. i know some people are thinking "then why are you aiming for a lexus if it sounds like you can't afford it?" which is true but right now im paying 350.00 on a 03 honda accord with a APR of 13.99% and full coverage insurance is about $170.00 amonth so about $1600 and some change. yea i know im getting it in the rear end with that deal but like i mention before i caught a bad case of bad luck and was pretty much had my ***** up against the wall. so buy this spring/summer hopefully my credit improves and toyota/lexus dealers or any dealers in fact would be ready to offer me a deal of a life time. it's time for my luck to change
Old 12-16-08, 11:43 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd rather have a 2GS and put money in it for mods than a 3GS.
Old 12-16-08, 11:46 AM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by habeeb89
I personally for some reason like the 2 generation GS's, I could have went with a GS430 (2006), but ended up with a 2002 GS430, the overall design looks more classy and timeless to me.
yea im stuck on the exterior of the 2gen gs myself, also if you do the Q45retro along wit the angel eyes along with the JP tail lights your talking about a serious a$$ lighting show on your 2nd Gen Gs. i just gotta get my butt in both cars and judge from there
Old 12-16-08, 12:39 PM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
+ 1 on that ideas....more like an investment...
Old 12-16-08, 12:48 PM
augdogg
Lead Lap

Love the GS, but i'm ready to graduate to more room/lux = LS. The GS provided a good compromise of sport/lux which I enjoy and would have no prob getting another one. NTM but many parts were made as well to customize your own w/o too much hasstle obtaining them. LS has been callin for a while though and I need to pick up the phone..
Old 12-17-08, 10:55 AM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
yeah i was thinking the same thing to but i've notice that some of the 2nd and 3rd gen are kinda close in price. thats was the main reason i started this thread to see if you had a choice between the two who would get what if price where the same. now, if it's a 10 grand difference, lol i will stick with the 2nd Gen hands down
Old 12-17-08, 04:35 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

To me, the 3gen doesn't stand out as much as the 2gen. The 2GS just jumped out at me when I first saw it and I can't say the same about the new ones. I think I'd agree with augdogg that if anything were calling my name it'd be the newer LS's.

Quick Reply: any regrets???