GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

how much is it for a good paintjob??

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-08, 11:40 PM
MrExecutiv
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by japspec
Cant argue with you cause your a cool cat lol. But your right.
you with me coz I'm a lol.

ya dig?
Old 12-16-08, 11:42 PM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hahahaha..damn..never seen those faces before
Old 12-17-08, 12:16 AM
MrExecutiv
Lexus Champion

lol. just bored.
OP, I hope we answered your questions. Pretty much you'll get what you pay for. I've heard people complain about their 1k paint job to the painter/owner only for them to be answered "Well what do you really expect from a 1k paint job?" lol.
Old 12-17-08, 04:17 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

I think if you want a QUALITY paint job $5k is reasonable. I think people fail to realize how much work goes into it, between taking the car apart and all the bodywork, it is a ton of work. As socalsc4 and speedaddic pointed out, you can spend a LOT more than that on a great paintjob. And to be honest for the type of quality that these guys put out and demand its WORTH it. For an everyday driver you pay $4-$5k your paint should last a long time if you take care of it properly. I know one thing, Im going to speedaddic when its time for my color change
Old 12-17-08, 09:01 AM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
I think if you want a QUALITY paint job $5k is reasonable. I think people fail to realize how much work goes into it, between taking the car apart and all the bodywork, it is a ton of work. As socalsc4 and speedaddic pointed out, you can spend a LOT more than that on a great paintjob. And to be honest for the type of quality that these guys put out and demand its WORTH it. For an everyday driver you pay $4-$5k your paint should last a long time if you take care of it properly. I know one thing, Im going to speedaddic when its time for my color change

where in fl are you?
Old 12-17-08, 11:10 AM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by japspec
Here we go with the subliminal disrespect, you need you direct that to you boy Tran who sold that bootleg gs300 with the 2jzgte swap. I like quality but 10k paintjob for a street driven car is stupid. If its a lambo or ferrari and you gotta pay 10k then ok, your talking a gs so you do the math. Lets leave it at that.

Wrong ... If you spent 10k on a paint job on that car then its like 1k to us ..

The gold yellow color cost 30k extra to get ... little facts .. had to
Old 12-17-08, 10:51 PM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BippuPxr
Wrong ... If you spent 10k on a paint job on that car then its like 1k to us ..

The gold yellow color cost 30k extra to get ... little facts .. had to
Wow thats crazy, I rather buy a porsche GT3 lol.
Old 12-21-08, 10:43 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

We seem to have this same debate every couple of months. Prep has a lot to do with it imo. Also who ever is doing the wetsanding and buffing afterwards can really make a decent paint job look a lot better and make the ant job look more expensive. My buffer once took a stock Civic SI which we all know has more oranage peel than an orange juice factory and made it look like it had just been repainted at a high end shop. I can't lie I've also seen 2k paints jobs that my buffer got his hands on and he made them look much more expensive.. Just giving my personal experience.
Old 12-22-08, 04:51 AM
sinistervr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bluelex
We seem to have this same debate every couple of months. Prep has a lot to do with it imo. Also who ever is doing the wetsanding and buffing afterwards can really make a decent paint job look a lot better and make the ant job look more expensive. My buffer once took a stock Civic SI which we all know has more oranage peel than an orange juice factory and made it look like it had just been repainted at a high end shop. I can't lie I've also seen 2k paints jobs that my buffer got his hands on and he made them look much more expensive.. Just giving my personal experience.
ive also seen your buffer take a razor to my friends porsche ans just start scraping it, and after he was done buffing made the car look like it was brand new again
Old 12-22-08, 04:57 AM
SoloKaMGS
Lead Lap

my 2 cents i think same color paint is in the 2500-3300 and change of color is 3300-4500and also depends on how many dents and bodywork you have and also any custom work needs to be done, personally ive done 5 paintjobs and also im always around a body shop scene and also it took me about 3 1/2 week on and off to rip apart and put together my gs back rubber parts on the door are a paint and i wanted to get down to nitty and gritty with clips it can be a pain. just my opinion.
Old 12-22-08, 06:20 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sinistervr
ive also seen your buffer take a razor to my friends porsche ans just start scraping it, and after he was done buffing made the car look like it was brand new again
Ya I've seen Elliot whip out a razor and I started to cringe but the end result was amazing. I'm gonna really miss Elliot now that I moved. He did my brother's SI and left that thing looking wet on stock paint. He also did my buddy Johnee's 1st gen and left it looking so flat and wet I was floored. Elliot is pretty special and he's not expensive, just feed him sandwitches hahaha..
Old 12-22-08, 08:40 AM
sinistervr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bluelex
Ya I've seen Elliot whip out a razor and I started to cringe but the end result was amazing. I'm gonna really miss Elliot now that I moved. He did my brother's SI and left that thing looking wet on stock paint. He also did my buddy Johnee's 1st gen and left it looking so flat and wet I was floored. Elliot is pretty special and he's not expensive, just feed him sandwitches hahaha..
yea i gotta admit when i saw him scrapping the car with the razor blade i thought it was going to need a new paint job for sure lol.. he is a good guy and besides the food let him ride that skate board thing and he is good to go
Old 12-22-08, 12:07 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Well I spent 8k and worth every penny I spent
Old 12-22-08, 12:14 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sinistervr
yea i gotta admit when i saw him scrapping the car with the razor blade i thought it was going to need a new paint job for sure lol.. he is a good guy and besides the food let him ride that skate board thing and he is good to go

haha ya I forgot about that skate board looking thing of his..
Old 12-22-08, 01:39 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LEXUS_KID
Well I spent 8k and worth every penny I spent
how long did it take them for the full repaint?

Quick Reply: how much is it for a good paintjob??