GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Xpel installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-02, 06:07 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VERY nice pictures, car looks amazing!!! but to be honest, I can't tell at all if xpel is on/off, where it ends/starts..etc. So, I want to see it in person. Nevertheless, your car look simply amazing!
Old 03-01-02, 01:01 AM
eppan
Pole Position

Here is Xpel on silver GS.
Attached Thumbnails Xpel installation-xpel1.jpg  
Old 03-01-02, 01:04 AM
eppan
Pole Position

Here is another pic Xpel on silver GS.

Although notice the edges has some wax on it...didn't notice until I saw the pics...but good for illustrating that cleaning the edges will allow the 3M film to blend in better.
Attached Thumbnails Xpel installation-xpel2.jpg  
Old 03-01-02, 01:06 AM
eppan
Pole Position

Here is a really close-up of the Xpel on silver GS.

Notice how thick the 3M film is....but remember this is a close-up and it tends to be really noticible....otherwise from about 5 feet it is really hard to tell unless you know what you are looking for. Also, depending on the lighting situation.
Attached Thumbnails Xpel installation-xpel3.jpg  
Old 03-01-02, 01:10 AM
eppan
Pole Position

Last picture. Here is a close-up of the side mirror.

I went with close-ups so you all can see the film. However, like TMitchell's and my first picture you can't tell at all that it is even installed. Again depending on angle and lighting you will see the film...however, I find it acceptable and people do not even realize that I have it installed until I point it out.
Attached Thumbnails Xpel installation-xpel4.jpg  
Old 03-01-02, 06:57 AM
lex430
Lead Lap

great pics, thanks for the close ups. It really helped me 'seeing' what it looks like
Old 07-25-02, 09:46 AM
Silver00Spike
Pole Position

did you use photoshop for those sparkles? I bet you did. My car is from 1993, its a dark green, and it has lots of little chips in it. My wax gets inside them, and makes them white little dots. These dots dont go away. What do I do?
Old 07-25-02, 11:30 AM
RacingAristo

This is very nice specially for people who drive on freeway a lot like me. I better repaint the hood before I jump into xpel.
Old 07-25-02, 12:17 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

Racingaristo,

if you are interested, contact me, I will recommend the installer that did my car, and i think few other CL people, very nice professional guy, did alot work for a lex dealer in OC,
Old 07-25-02, 12:46 PM
RacingAristo

lex430,

I certainly will. Thank you.
Old 07-25-02, 04:44 PM
cong28
Lead Lap

This tint guy does both hood and bumper for $300. I got my bumper done for a really good price. He's very professional and does an excellent job. Oh yah, did I say he is very cheap also. He can also get the material for a very good price. If anyone is interested, he's located in Walnut, off Nogalas and Amar by the 60fwy. His company is called Rich's Tint Shop. Just let him know I referred you and he'll hook you up w/ the best price!
Old 08-20-02, 03:45 AM
RacingAristo

I've read some negatives on the xpel. Since couple of you have already installed them, please post YOUR feedback.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=xpel

Scroll down to the bottom. Look at what David GS400 said.
Old 08-20-02, 03:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by RacingAristo
I've read some negatives on the xpel. Since couple of you have already installed them, please post YOUR feedback.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=xpel

Scroll down to the bottom. Look at what David GS400 said.
umm...... yes and no

yes:
it's basically a plastic that's stuck on the surface of the paint and protect them. of course you shouldn't try to zaino the xpel plastic, zaino are not designed for that. i mean, you won't put zaino on your glass or your leather right?

no:
i don't really agree with the look / chip parts. it's plastic and it's elastic. say a rock punch on the bumper. without the xpel, it would chip the paint, make it not smooth, or even tak out the whole layer of paint. with the xpel, it bounces off or whatever, the paint is still intact, and unless it's a big heat, you will see a very small mark at most. bottom line is, if a rock hit your xpel and you see scratch / deep part, etc.... it will be worse if it hits the body directly

also about the bubbling thing...... i also disagree. if you do a good job in install them, they should never fail. right after you install them, maybe days or weeks, you might see some cloudy area, that means you got water inside and they are evaporating. they will disappear and they will stick there forever. they are tough material.

for the record i have xpel on both my acura and gs4, and they have going great
Old 08-20-02, 04:04 AM
RacingAristo

But is it possible to remove xpel later on? Because after a few hits, I will start seeing marks on the xpel which is not good. I may then apply a new sheet of xpel.
Old 08-20-02, 09:22 AM
lex430
Lead Lap

I have to diagree with the post that expel is a waste of money, I have mine on for 1+ year now on my black car, and it still looks like day 1. there is no cloud, fade, or other discoloration. I had 1 small bubble along the edge about 3 weeks after the install, but a little hair dryer heat, and a bit of pressure took care of that, and never came back.

I remember what the front of my car looked like after ~6 months without expel, and i do not want to go back there. Presently, i have no bumps or scratches on my expel. There is a small indentation in the sheet that can only be seen from very close up, but imagine whatever that created the dent hitting your hood directly!!

i zaino the xpel like a regular surface without any issues. you're welcome to check them out in person. I am currently arranging to have expel install on my new toy (nsx), cause I like to protect the paint on that even more than the GS.

Last edited by lex430; 08-20-02 at 08:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Xpel installation