GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Bad oil Leak ughhgg :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-08 | 03:56 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PR FIEBRU
I found this information online. Read and inform yourself.

"When deciding whether it is best to use synthetic or conventional car engine oils, it is always best to bear in mind the age of the vehicle as problems and oil leaks can occur when switching to a fully synthetic oil with an old engine. This is because there can be a build-up of waxes and sludge left by conventional oils over time, which may mask worn engine seals. The introduction of a synthetic oil may cause the detergents in the synthetic oil to break down and clean-up this protective build-up which is maintaining the seal, this will then result in oil leaking through the engine seals when the oil thins as it gets hot.
At the same time as older vehicles are frequently better using conventional oils due to the engine seals, new cars which experience normal day-to-day use with its short journeys, traffic jams, extreme temperature changes, etc, can benefit from the extra protection of afforded by synthetics, but it is always safest to refer to the manufacturer’s recommendations before making any changes."
Thats is true....with American cars..lol imports dont wear nearly as bad as domestic cars.. but really for the most part you should stick with the kind of oil its always had in it (brand and weight) (unless it was really bad or something lol) for some reason alot of ppl dont know that..oh and the high mileage stuff and most "additives" (gas or oil) are all just marketing crap. so dont spend a cent more on a "high mileage" oil. but thats just my opinion. and off topic, with transmission fluid...if its never been changed and its over 60k...you shouldn't bother unless you are planning on rebuilding the trans...
Old 12-20-08 | 04:05 PM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

I dont think I can agree with your transmission fluid theory.
If that was the case most cars will be at the shop for a tranny rebuild.

Ahhh I see you must be talking about American cars again. Like fords lol
Old 12-20-08 | 04:11 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PR FIEBRU
I dont think I can agree with your transmission fluid theory.
If that was the case most cars will be at the shop for a tranny rebuild.

Ahhh I see you must be talking about American cars again. Like fords lol
lol yea..gotta love them American cars.. the theory is based off the fact that if you dont ever change the fluid and you have over 60k (i guess on imports more like over 120k lol) you run a very high risk of the new fluid breaking down all the "gunk" that has accumulated on the clutches, gears..etc and thus causing the transmission to begin to slip, etc. and most likely need a rebuild.
If anyone has a gs300 that they have changed the fluid at over 120k for the first time..please..let me know, I want to know how the transmission held up.
thanks
Old 12-20-08 | 04:13 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

also...a real problem is that alot of your quick change shops do nothing but take the old fluid out, and put it back (even if they say they are changing it) and that does absolutely nothing for the car..lol
Old 12-20-08 | 07:42 PM
pitmanr200
Lead Lap

thats why i do it myself, and now it looks like I may have messed it up by over tightening it. oh well everyone makes mistakes and i Hope this is all it is.
Old 12-21-08 | 12:00 PM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

I have to agree that maybe doing a complete flush of tranny fluid is not a good idea for High mileage cars. But I do agree in doing a drop and fill tranny fluid every 8 or 9 months. I also make sure to get the original tranny fluid the car came with.
Old 12-21-08 | 09:01 PM
pitmanr200
Lead Lap

ok i got under car today with it running and oil was dripping out of filter like a leaky faucet. Like there was a small hole in it. So i just did a oil change and let me tell you. I learned a good leason never tighten filter down with wrench. I usually just tighten by hand, but i had a little oil on old filter and thought maybe i needed it tighter. I had to poke a screwdriver through old filter about 4 times to get it loose. I quess i didnt know my own strength. Didnt seem like i got it that tight. Looks good so far other than all the oil splattered on my underbody. I quess i will take it to car wash and get undercarriage wash.
Old 12-22-08 | 12:49 PM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

Im telling you.. I had the same problem. for me it was when I got the motor mounts put on, the damn mechanic made a hole on the oil filter.
Oil filter
Old 12-22-08 | 09:52 PM
pitmanr200
Lead Lap

thanks for all your help. Thank god it was only oilfilter. bone dry now. now i need to have under carriage cleaned.
Old 12-23-08 | 01:03 PM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

Tell me about it!! It took me a week to even look at my car. I though I was going to have to replace the rear main seal.

When I found out it was just the oil filter, I was mad and happy at the same time.
Take it to the car wash and get the undercarriage done.