GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Timing belt / pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-08, 07:31 AM
weaksauce
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt / pump

Hey, I'm planning on getting a used GS that has over 100k but never had the timing belt changed. Can I use aftermarket water pump as the mechanic told me it was the most expensive part (he wants 700$ for the belt/pump)

I also called other places and some gave me quotes as low as 400$ for both the timing belt and the water pump, although they weren't clear if they are going to use Lexus parts.

What do you guys say should be the average price for such job on a 1999 GS300.

Thanks and Happy Holidays
Old 12-28-08, 07:46 AM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

100K Huh.... I spent about $800 on Genuine Lexus Parts, but at the time, I also purchased the tie rods, lower ball joints, serpentine belt, idler pulleys (3 total), which I recommend you do as well...
I did the labor myself, $700 is way too much for just the pump and belt.

Contact Carson Toyota (that's where I purchased my parts) or Sewell Lexus... Both are vendors here and give you a great deal on prices.
Hope that helps
Old 12-28-08, 07:52 AM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

Picture of the new parts installed on my car :

Old 12-28-08, 08:53 AM
sUpErMaNGS
Driver

i just hit 100K too! Im doing what you want to do this week

In buffalo (my college) a mech charged me 780$ for ONLY BELT AND PUMP w/ LABOR OEM LEXUS parts.. I thought it was bit expensive..

Now im back in NYC, i ordered all my OEM Lexus Parts on Carsons toyota for 340 shipped
[Serpetine belt (drive belt), Timing belt, Tensioner, Waterpump Cam seals, Front Seals, waterpummp gasket, waterpump o-ring ] its arriving this tuesday and as for the labor im going to get my friend's dad (ex acura mechanic) to do it for me for 200 labor so total is about 550$ish which is not too bad.

btw i have a 2000 Lexus GS 300 @101,7000K miles now
Old 12-28-08, 08:53 AM
weaksauce
Rookie

Nice job man, wish I can do the labor myself

As for tie rods, lower ball joints, serpentine belt, idler pulleys how much should that cost me?
Old 12-28-08, 08:56 AM
weaksauce
Rookie

Originally Posted by sUpErMaNGS

In buffalo (my college) a mech charged me 780$ for ONLY BELT AND PUMP w/ LABOR OEM LEXUS parts.. I thought it was bit expensive..

Now im back in NYC, i ordered all my OEM Lexus Parts on Carsons toyota for 340 shipped
[Serpetine belt (drive belt), Timing belt, Tensioner, Waterpump Cam seals, Front Seals, waterpummp gasket, waterpump o-ring ] its arriving this tuesday and as for the labor im going to get my friend's dad (ex acura mechanic) to do it for me for 200 labor so total is about 550$ish which is not too bad.

Yeah that sounds expensive.. The mechanic that I spoke to recommended me using an after market water pump I was wondering if I should listen to him.
Old 12-28-08, 09:47 AM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by weaksauce
Yeah that sounds expensive.. The mechanic that I spoke to recommended me using an after market water pump I was wondering if I should listen to him.
Don't listen to him!!! Why cheap out on a Lexus
Old 12-28-08, 06:45 PM
weaksauce
Rookie

Originally Posted by FlavesLex
Don't listen to him!!! Why cheap out on a Lexus
Hey! Carson Toyota definitely got cheaper parts than my local mechanic quoted, ok so I am going to replace my timing belt what other parts should I replace while I'm in that part of the engine..

So far I've got

Timing belt
3 Pullys
Drive belt
Water Pump

This is for a 1999 Lexus GS300

Thank you all !
Old 12-29-08, 04:45 AM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by weaksauce
Hey! Carson Toyota definitely got cheaper parts than my local mechanic quoted, ok so I am going to replace my timing belt what other parts should I replace while I'm in that part of the engine..

So far I've got

Timing belt
3 Pullys
Drive belt
Water Pump

This is for a 1999 Lexus GS300

Thank you all !
What you have is pretty much the essential stuff... I opted not to change my crank and cam seals, I'm planning on doing that next timing belt change. As long as you don't have any noticeable leaks, I wouldn't change those seals just yet, but that's just me. Remember Anti-Freeze and new thermostat while you're at it
Old 12-29-08, 05:57 AM
Red Bully
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stick with lexus parts you cant go wrong
Old 12-29-08, 07:01 AM
nsf0607
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What you have is pretty much the essential stuff... I opted not to change my crank and cam seals, I'm planning on doing that next timing belt change. As long as you don't have any noticeable leaks, I wouldn't change those seals just yet, but that's just me. Remember Anti-Freeze and new thermostat while you're at it
I would change all seals. Seals are relatively inexpensive and easy to change. Seals will wear and eventually leak, changing them while you have the chance is a no brainer IMHO.
Old 12-29-08, 07:57 AM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I beg to differ on the relative ease of changing cam seals. I have a 1999 GS400 with 180,000 + miles now, and I have never done the cam seals after 2 timing belt changes...(90,000 and 180,000 miles). I also changed the timing belt on my previous 99 GS400 at 90,000 mles, and there was NO evidence of oil leakage on the cam seals.

I broke down and decided to change the crank seal below at 180,000 miles because it was close by, and it was totally unnecessary in MY case. There ws no evidence of leakage before I changed it. I use synthetic oils religiously, and when I took off the old seal, it looked just as good as the new one. I regretted it as soon as I pounded the old one out. It was not going to leak any time soon. The inside of the engine looked as clean as new even after all those miles.

Cam and crank seal leaks are usually attributable to poor engine oil choices, and/or extended oil drain intervals with inferior oil...(neglect). Toyota builds a quality product that lasts a LONG time if maintenance is performed on time..

To change the cam seals on these engines requires removal of the entire cam gear assembly on top. That means:
1. New valve cover gaskets (180,000 miles and mine still don't leak. My covers have never been taken off and don't leak after nearly 10 years).

2. New spark plug guide tubes and gaskets. They fit inside the valve cover and keep the engine oil from filling up the spark plug hole when running.

3. Removal of the entire intake and exhaust valvetrain arrangement on both sides of the engine. The cam seals are on the front end of the cams, and they are INSIDE the head near the mating gears. The timing assembly where the belt goes on is outside the head. That means removal of the cams. If the seals could be replaced without removing the cams from the engine, it would be easier, and I might consider it. I'll deal with it when leakage is evident.

Care must be taken to ensure that the intake and exhaust cams are re-timed PERFECTLY in relationship to each other, or bent valves will result immediately upon startup. All cams and bearing caps have to be put back in the same direction and on the exact same journal to ensure they work correctly, as well as be correctly torqued to specs. This is not just a Saturday afternoon procedure, and adds hours to this job.

4. Extreme car should be taken when removing the VVT-I timing assembly from each head. Damage this, and replacement costs will he high. Gs300's have 1 and GS400's have 2.

All of this for a seal that is not leaking. I checked carefully and decided against it.

IF your seals ARE leaking, you have no choice but to fix it. It is very rare to have them leaking. The fear of having these seals leak oil on the timing belt is very real, but in my experience, it has been very rare. Check the area around the cam seals for leaks and then decide.

Dealer mechanics do it for the extra labor charges when they leak, but generally don't change these themselves when doing just the timing belt. Expect to pay more labor when these seals have to be changed.

Understand that this is very time consuming and labor intensive to get it right.

I'm not trying to scare anyone, but just stating the facts relating to this procedure. I am pushing 189,000 miles on mine and there are no problems with timing belt components whatsoever.

Keep us informed on your progress.

Last edited by gserep1; 12-29-08 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-29-08, 08:08 AM
nsf0607
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

gserep1 agreed but this is for a gs 300
Old 12-29-08, 08:22 AM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

gserep1, couldn't have stated it better myself
Old 12-29-08, 08:58 AM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sUpErMaNGS

Your college buddies is raping you bro...You can purchase all parts for less than $350.00 OEM..from Sewell or Carson...I have already purchased for my GS even though it has 86k, but probably do when she hit 90k..