GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Car not starting guys ....

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-09, 12:33 AM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck with yours ...... I had luck with it starting again and then dieing asap ........ still not sure and its all packed up for the car to go to the shop ..

Heres a quick list of everything that was done for my car in the month is was down 12/28/2008

Spark plugs changed with Iridium
New 850 ccas Interstate battery
Tested Alternator passed 3 times
Checked TPS (in range)
Checked Crank position sensor (in range)
Checked Crank position sensor (in range)
Exchanged Throttle body and found it had a (bad motor) ?
Checked the ECM trouble shooting and works fine
Checked all wires to the Ignition switch and ECM and EFI relay and readings good
Ignition fuse good
All Fuses good
Checked almost Complete Harness No breaks
Checked one coilpack test (low spark)
changed out to a new Serpentine belt

Many more things but those are relevant to this issue and still no luck , Best of luck man . when I find out whats going on I will have it posted up for 99 Gs400 owners

Btw I am about 150k too

I have also considered how even long the car will will be down for maintenance I will not be putting the crazy wheels on the car looking at 3-5k in body work for the rear , I have another option but we will see how much the place is looking at charging

115.00 Toyota dealership , 105 another reputable shop and 92.70 an hr , from my Bosses family friends shop

I have packed the car all back together tonight and have the front new wheels on the rear and Fits amazing ;P maybe teaser . sucks this happens but its life . thanks for anyone who read this
Old 01-31-09, 11:29 PM
1sxyrxy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what faults do you have as of now? if you still have the maf faults i would say overlay the wirees from maf to the ecm. was there a fault for the crank sensor?

Last edited by 1sxyrxy; 01-31-09 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-31-09, 11:46 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuPxr
1999 Gs400

Ok I have search the whole boards and some on Google ..

I started the car and then it died after 5 mins ...

Then as I go to start I have issues having it start again ..

further attempts = dead battery

Once I got a new battery I was told I should clean the MAF sensor and clean the TB, Also replaced the battery with a new one ..

I have done all the above ..

I got a code reader and it was telling me this ...

any information would help ...

after searching some more I found this code ...

P1120 TP Sensor Out Of Range Low (Ratch Too Low)

Is there any way to remap the Maf sensor ? I don't have a Manuel but any help will be appreciated. where would the VAF circuit and the cost of those ? or a way to trouble shoot

James
Make sure the MAF that you changed is dealer item. The MAF and IAT are both one sensor. As for the code P1120, according to ALLDATA, it is saying your Accerlator pedal position sensor has an open or short circuit. So have that checked out. GL!

P.S. - To find out if the MAF is bad, turn off the car, disconnect the MAF sensor. Then start the car, if it turned on, then the MAF is bad. Or you can do the tap test by letting the car idle, and tap the MAF sensor if it hesistates, its bad.

Last edited by GS4_Fiend; 01-31-09 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-31-09, 11:52 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1sxyrxy
what faults do you have as of now? if you still have the maf faults i would say overlay the wirees from maf to the ecm. was there a fault for the crank sensor?
If it's the CKP sensor problem, check to see if have spark and fuel. If not for both, it's most often the CKP.
Old 02-04-09, 04:54 PM
GS400Star
Driver School Candidate

Any luck getting it running yet?

In my case the GS is running again. Funny thing is I have no idea what was wrong.

The car was sitting in front of my house for about a week after I tried a few things to get is started and couldn't. I was just waiting to see when I could have some time to really start taking things apart/off but I could never find the time. So I decide I would just have it towed to a local shop and let them diagnose and if it was something I could fix I would and if not I would pay to let them fix it.

So the tow truck guy shows up and asks for the key. He gets in and turns the car on!! Im standing there like WTF?? He laughs and says it happens all the time. So now I'm feeling stupid for not trying to start the car before calling the tow truck but I figured there was just no way it was going to start. BUT on the other hand I'm glad to hear it running again.

So I decide to drive it to the shop anyway to have them take a look at it. On the way I notice the Check Engine light is on which seems right to me but then as I am driving down the street the TCS light comes on. So I remember that this happened to me once before when I left the gas cap loose. So I figure why not check it and pull into a parking lot and turn off the car and tighten the gas cap (which was loose). I get back in the car and it starts right up but now the TCS light is off and the Check Engine light is off. So I'm thinking all is good. I back out of the space and the car dies. Oh oh. But it starts right back up. OK. So I drive a little further and the car dies again. **** now I'm thinking somethgin is wrong again. I start the car right up again and continue on my way to the shop and the car runs fine the whole way. I drop it off and give my story to the mechanic and go to work.

I call him later in the day and he says the car starts right up....he has taken it on 2 test drives and cant find anything. Says he pulled 2 codes...1 for the MAF which I say I probably created when I disonnected it to see if that was the problem and another for I think he said an air temp sensor. So he keeps the car for another day and I call him at the end of that day and again he cant find anythgin wrong with it. CRAZY!

So this morning I went down to pick it up....he gave me the key....no charge for his time....very sweet.....and I get in and it starts right up and I drive the 35 miles to work without any incident.

Well I cant explain it but she is running fine now.
Old 02-05-09, 11:05 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS400Star
Any luck getting it running yet?

In my case the GS is running again. Funny thing is I have no idea what was wrong.

The car was sitting in front of my house for about a week after I tried a few things to get is started and couldn't. I was just waiting to see when I could have some time to really start taking things apart/off but I could never find the time. So I decide I would just have it towed to a local shop and let them diagnose and if it was something I could fix I would and if not I would pay to let them fix it.

So the tow truck guy shows up and asks for the key. He gets in and turns the car on!! Im standing there like WTF?? He laughs and says it happens all the time. So now I'm feeling stupid for not trying to start the car before calling the tow truck but I figured there was just no way it was going to start. BUT on the other hand I'm glad to hear it running again.

So I decide to drive it to the shop anyway to have them take a look at it. On the way I notice the Check Engine light is on which seems right to me but then as I am driving down the street the TCS light comes on. So I remember that this happened to me once before when I left the gas cap loose. So I figure why not check it and pull into a parking lot and turn off the car and tighten the gas cap (which was loose). I get back in the car and it starts right up but now the TCS light is off and the Check Engine light is off. So I'm thinking all is good. I back out of the space and the car dies. Oh oh. But it starts right back up. OK. So I drive a little further and the car dies again. **** now I'm thinking somethgin is wrong again. I start the car right up again and continue on my way to the shop and the car runs fine the whole way. I drop it off and give my story to the mechanic and go to work.

I call him later in the day and he says the car starts right up....he has taken it on 2 test drives and cant find anything. Says he pulled 2 codes...1 for the MAF which I say I probably created when I disonnected it to see if that was the problem and another for I think he said an air temp sensor. So he keeps the car for another day and I call him at the end of that day and again he cant find anythgin wrong with it. CRAZY!

So this morning I went down to pick it up....he gave me the key....no charge for his time....very sweet.....and I get in and it starts right up and I drive the 35 miles to work without any incident.

Well I cant explain it but she is running fine now.
Yes, when you disconnect the MAF sensor the CEL will come on for both maf and iat sensor because they both are one sensor in the same connector.
Old 02-13-09, 09:17 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Well glad everyone is reporting good news

long story short

I paid 190.00 to find out that my gas level was broken , I had taken gas out of the tank previously for a show 3 months ago , that day when i took the gas out , It showed .5 tank of gas was still in there , I wondered if there was a reserve tank ? , I had driven the car to the show mashed the car there to lower the level more , it was little shorter then half a tank . got home , that 100 miles on an empty tank ? and then the problems started happening ... so would have never thought that ...

long story short .. the level was broken and the gas was empty. and showed little less than .5 tank.

the tech said I hear the pumps working and tested them , either the spindle is broken because i see gas on the spark plugs , glad to know that the fuel pump was NOT burned out after many attempts , and got my car back working and filled the gas tank up too ,

can't believe i have overlooked something so small but it threw so many codes too ,

time for my rims now
Old 02-13-09, 10:20 PM
MrExecutiv
Lexus Champion

congrats on solving the problem and getting the car running again. woot woot.
Old 02-13-09, 10:20 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you got it going James. Believe it or not I only read this thread just now, though I knew you were having trouble a while ago. If I read through this earlier, I would of told you to try putting gas in the car. When debugging anything, you ALWAYS try the simplest things first.

Lesson's learned eh?
Old 02-13-09, 10:33 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuPxr

long story short .. the level was broken and the gas was empty. and showed little less than .5 tank.

LOL, I guess no more worries. The code threw everything off.
Old 02-14-09, 10:56 AM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Well , At the point of driving 100 miles on an empty tank (driving hard too) I would have not thought of that but guys , If anyone needs to reference this to their cars or Gs I would have hoped this helps ..

Thanks for reading too glen. At the point of giving up after trying everything I would have tried gas too but would have been thinking it wouldn't have worked .. (skeptist) at this point

When I was searching for info on tps or throttle body , I came up short on any info so there is alot of very good infomation in this thread as well as the one on vsc , thanks for all the help and trouble shooting ..

Time to work on the car tonight and tomorrow and get these wheels fitted !

Last edited by VipDout; 02-14-09 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-27-09, 05:52 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

James...you will never ever ever believe this...

My family (wife and 2 daughters, and sister) and I went to go eat yesterday. I jumped up on the freeway and exited....car sputters and limps into the parking lot of where we were going to eat. I pull over and think...hmmm....bad plugs or coil?? I eat dinner (good chirashi and sushi) then call my buddy that drives a tow truck. I go to Advanced auto and pick up some ngk plugs (they didn't have the colder plugs for the SC but I'll order that). I changed them out last night. Nothing.... I didn't have any codes at all so I did a search and this post came up. I read through the whole thing and said "no way". I was showing 1/4 tank of gas....oh wait a minute!!! I'm running a walbro pump!! JPI installed it. Guess what??? OUT OF GAS TOO HOMIE....THANKS CLUB LEXUS for the forums and thanks for this post man. Now, do you want to sell your TPS? I need one regardless!!
Old 03-27-09, 11:33 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Keep it SIMPLE.
Old 03-27-09, 11:53 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

ahaha see !!! this thread was so needed .. It has happened to my brother before he told me too and another friend ...

but very glad you didn't go thru everything i did bro !

I sent the throttle body back to a guy in Florida it was off a used throttle body but i am sure it read to be a good tps ..

message me back and i can send him a pm