GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

front license place trouble

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-02 | 03:12 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Default front license place trouble

stupid poor Buena Park police department pulled me over today for not having front license plate. Gosh Darn it.

I really don't wanna drill freakin holes in my front bumper. Anyone have any solutions? Temporary mount that won't leave any marks? Any ways around this? thanks!
Old 02-27-02 | 03:23 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Have you tried Velcro?

Chu...
Old 02-27-02 | 03:24 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

say it fell off and keep it in ur trunk. thats what we do... in canada they are even more stern than they are there!

what u could do is use some sort of clip to ur front bumper opening near the bottom lower part.. put it on the side pure JDM style
Old 02-27-02 | 03:24 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

put it on your windshield.... (on the inside.... leave it on your dash.)

that counts...
Old 02-27-02 | 03:50 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by CamRen
put it on your windshield.... (on the inside.... leave it on your dash.)

that counts...
not today
the civic who got pulled over before me had the license plate inside the dash and that didn't count. (it was at a license checkstop......... geeze all of a sudden they setup this *****.)

I found a very nice mount. It looks normal when the car is not moving, and when the car is moving the license plate folds inwards due to aerodynamics at 80km/h. But I don't think it'll work right the GS's front bumper.
Old 02-27-02 | 03:56 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

I would use double sided tape for temp mount, then get your ticket signed off! and try to avoid them next time.

I do not have the front plate either, but I didn't know they pull people over for that now! Were you speeding also? or was it just for license plate only?? That BITES!
Old 02-27-02 | 04:04 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by lex430
I would use double sided tape for temp mount, then get your ticket signed off! and try to avoid them next time.

I do not have the front plate either, but I didn't know they pull people over for that now! Were you speeding also? or was it just for license plate only?? That BITES!

they put a roadstop at a street for temorary license-checks. Unluckily, I usually don't take that street! geeze.

2x side tape sounds good but it might fall off when i get it signed off or something.
Old 02-27-02 | 04:05 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

plug and pray, just like MS windows!

Just thought of something, if you have friends or any police connections, just get your friend to sign it off, it's a fix ticket, shouldn't be a big deal to sign off, then you won't have to worry about bringing your car to the station and the plate fall off during inspection..., that would be funny!
Old 02-27-02 | 04:47 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Just thought of something, if you have friends or any police connections, just get your friend to sign it off, it's a fix ticket, shouldn't be a big deal to sign off, then you won't have to worry about bringing your car to the station and the plate fall off during inspection..., that would be funny!
anyone who can help me with this? Thanks!
Old 02-27-02 | 04:51 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

I know on Sunset in Hollywood, they do traffic stops all the time at night. My boy got tagged with a no front plate, loud music (45 feet away), tint, and moddified exhaust. Thank god we knows someone in the HwyPatrol to right off 3 of the 4 fines. the music fine he had to pay. Forgot how much though.
Old 02-27-02 | 04:51 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

what kinda front bumper do you have? I also had the same problem, but I just fabricated a mount using 1" wide aluminum and drilled some holes on an inconspicuous spot of the front bumper. You could use the foglight screw for one of the mounting sites of the makeshift bracket. I'll take a pic of mine later today and show you what I mean.

ricky
Old 02-27-02 | 04:58 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by HI98GS
what kinda front bumper do you have? I also had the same problem, but I just fabricated a mount using 1" wide aluminum and drilled some holes on an inconspicuous spot of the front bumper. You could use the foglight screw for one of the mounting sites of the makeshift bracket. I'll take a pic of mine later today and show you what I mean.

ricky
I just have the stock front bumper. But my dealer didn't drill holes on it so I think it looks very clean this way. If I can find a way to clip the license plate onto the lower part of the bumper that'll be great. Can you show me a pic of how you did it? thanks!
Old 02-27-02 | 05:15 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

no nice policeman own a lexus on this forum???
Old 02-27-02 | 05:53 PM
gsnav
Lead Lap

Here is the rule of the law:

The top of the license plate must be at most 36" off the ground facing the front. So putting it on the front, like those ghetto kids with those rice cars is not cool and it's doesn't even follow California law.
Old 02-27-02 | 07:14 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Lex430: I was told, a "no front plate" ticket is more than a fix-it. There is a $100 fine that goes along with it now. I'll ask my girlfriend's dad. He's a cop for OC. Or maybe someone knows already??? I was also told that to many infractions of the same violation i.e. "window tint" can result in having a point added to your record.

Quick Reply: front license place trouble