GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

P0763 Shift Solenoid Fixed..

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-13, 04:19 PM
wise2k
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wbmx1981
Car is all back together and fixed. Solenoid was cleaned and hosed down with MAF cleaner especially the nose screen, transmission pan magnets cleaned, new fel pro pan gaskets, no leaks, flushed out all old ATF via return line, fresh ATF fluid. BAM. Car shifts silky smooth and seems to be more responsive. I did bend the pin just a tad bit, just to be safe. $45 dollar DIY. Check engine light disappeared. Thanks again to BOMBSQUAD!!!

$5.21 x 8 qts of t4 = $40
Fel pro gasket = $5.00
By any chance, did you happen to take a picture of the whole thing to kind of point out which one of the solenoids is being referenced by this code? I know many have said test the resistance but that's beyond my comfort zone. If you have a picture or can tell which one, that would really help a lot. Or, maybe I will just have to clean all of them once the pan is dropped.
Old 09-05-13, 07:02 PM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

P0763 = Solenoid C = S3 (there is another pic that has all them numbered). Solenoid C is the 2nd solenoid from the right according to this pic, count the black connectors from the right and solenoid C is the second. The picture was taken from underneath entering on the driver side. There are two bolts holding it in place, a 10 mm and an 8 mm be careful because you'll need to slightly move the wiring harness.

Name:  29122008911.jpg
Views: 9406
Size:  32.2 KB

Last edited by wbmx1981; 09-05-13 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-06-13, 06:50 AM
wise2k
Pit Crew

I just removed the two brackets bolts and just loosened the bolt from the exhaust enough to get the lip of the pan exposed to unscrew. My exhaust bolt was rusted too but luckily it was easy to break it with an extension and some brut strength, ha. Get back under there man you can do it, call a buddy over to help if you have to, but its possible. Good Luck!
You encouraged me to get back under there and I did last evening, dropped the pan but ran in to a maze! Well, it got dark and I suspended the project.

P0763 = Solenoid C = S3 (there is another pic that has all them numbered). Solenoid C is the 2nd solenoid from the right according to this pic, count the black connectors from the right and solenoid C is the second. The picture was taken from underneath entering on the driver side. There are two bolts holding it in place, a 10 mm and an 8 mm be careful because you'll need to slightly move the wiring harness.

Thanks for this information, I will get back there this afternoon and see if I can get it to act right!
Old 09-06-13, 07:59 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

To me, it made no sense to clean the solenoid and do all this work just to put the clean solenoid back in dirty AT fluid and only do a plug drain and fill, so instead I went all out. I did what this guy in the video did and I cleaned my solenoid didnt even replace it just sprayed it down REAL good. Car runs AWESOME! Fresh ATF = New Car Feel. People this will be the final and important step in clearing the 0763 code and keeping the code gone.

On my 99 GS3, the transmission cooler hose on the driver side is the "supply" line meaning it comes from the transmission to the cooler, the hose on the passenger side is the "return" line meaning it will come from the cooler back to the transmission. When doing a flush via the cooler lines to avoid a mess knowing which is which helps. I made a huge mess, but you dont have to. If you use the supply line remove the hose from the transmission itself and place the clear hose there, if you use the return line instead, unplug the hose for the cooler itself and connect the clear hose there. The clear hose I bought was from Home Depot, the inner diameter was 3/8, it ran about $5 bucks. You will be amazed about how black the ATF comes out until it flows bright red. The way the magnet looked on his drain plug was how my magnets looked in the pan. Magnets were covered with metal ***** of wear and crap. The magnets were so covered they could no longer attract metal shavings like it was intended to. Also reused the transmission filter which was also hosed down with CRC MAF cleaner. My car has 216k and it's running like a young buck!

Last edited by wbmx1981; 09-06-13 at 09:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JFU99GS400 (02-21-20)
Old 09-06-13, 01:00 PM
wise2k
Pit Crew

This forum rocks! Cleaned both solenoids, pan and magnets. Bent the solenoid contacts s little and now I have all five gears!!! I'm a happy man. Had already got a quote for over $700 at a local shop to replace solenoid but ended up costing me just my time and fresh transmission fluid.
Old 09-06-13, 01:18 PM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Originally Posted by wise2k
This forum rocks! Cleaned both solenoids, pan and magnets. Bent the solenoid contacts s little and now I have all five gears!!! I'm a happy man. Had already got a quote for over $700 at a local shop to replace solenoid but ended up costing me just my time and fresh transmission fluid.
You the man!!! Good job dude!
Old 09-10-13, 01:15 AM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just want to say I coulda really used all this info thats in here its great that it all stayed in one thread hopefully the pics and diagram stay in one place prolly should be stickied now I will use the info if I have to
Old 09-18-13, 10:22 PM
Advil4u
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well I dropped the pan sprayed the damn solenoid down good let it sit for a day to dry installed a new filter and gasket and new oil and the problem is still there I gas it it moves slowly then kicks a gear inand then down shifts to like 2nd I hate this damn p0974
Old 09-19-13, 07:27 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Originally Posted by Advil4u
Well I dropped the pan sprayed the damn solenoid down good let it sit for a day to dry installed a new filter and gasket and new oil and the problem is still there I gas it it moves slowly then kicks a gear inand then down shifts to like 2nd I hate this damn p0974
In that case you need a new solenoid. This DIY are steps to fix (bend, test, clean, etc.) the solenoid to avoid buying a new one. However, in your response you say code P0974. I just did a quick google on that code, and I get P0974 is Solenoid A. If P0974 is your code then cleaning Solenoid C wouldn't do anything. Solenoid C is P0763.

Last edited by wbmx1981; 09-19-13 at 07:32 AM.
Royblackmore (08-13-23)
Old 09-19-13, 08:06 AM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good info wbmx
Old 09-19-13, 08:25 AM
Advil4u
Lead Lap

In that case you need a new solenoid. This DIY are steps to fix (bend, test, clean, etc.) the solenoid to avoid buying a new one. However, in your response you say code P0974. I just did a quick google on that code, and I get P0974 is Solenoid A. If P0974 is your code then cleaning Solenoid C wouldn't do anything. Solenoid C is P0763.
Yea I saw all u guys fixing your p0973 just by a simple diy and decided it might work for the p0974 but looks like ill have to look for a sensor thanks for all the help anyways very helpful info on this thread
Old 09-19-13, 08:29 AM
wise2k
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Advil4u
...and once the pan is dropped you might as well clean them both, they are sitting side by side and use the same 10mm and 8mm tools; that's what I did with mine, and yes, it was P0763.

For what it's worth, after I put mine back together I almost drove it off the bridge because the car was still driving bad with just 3 gears (I didn't clear the code), but after about 3 - 4 miles of driving as I was approaching a stop sign I felt it downshifting. Couldn't believe what I just experienced and took off from the stop and felt it shifting through every single gear til 5th. It was breath-taking!!

Last edited by wise2k; 09-19-13 at 08:32 AM.
Royblackmore (10-10-23)
Old 09-19-13, 08:43 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Originally Posted by wise2k
.. I felt it downshifting. Couldn't believe what I just experienced and took off from the stop and felt it shifting through every single gear til 5th. It was breath-taking!!
HA! I know man! EXACTLY! It was quite an experience. I drove the car and it felt great! The code was still there because I didn't disconnect the battery, and it was my first drive cycle, but the car ran awesome. So, I cruised to autozone to get the codes pulled just to make sure a new code didnt pop up. The guy said it was P0763, I just smiled really big and said okay thanks! because I knew the car was fixed by how it shifted especially down shifted. I unplugged the battery for a couple of seconds and connected it back up. I was too excited to wait for all the drive cycles. Code never came back. Man, I was gunning it from light to light haha. I was so happy to see that I could accelarate past 5000 rmp at take off.
Old 09-19-13, 10:36 AM
Advil4u
Lead Lap

HA! I know man! EXACTLY! It was quite an experience. I drove the car and it felt great! The code was still there because I didn't disconnect the battery, and it was my first drive cycle, but the car ran awesome. So, I cruised to autozone to get the codes pulled just to make sure a new code didnt pop up. The guy said it was P0763, I just smiled really big and said okay thanks! because I knew the car was fixed by how it shifted especially down shifted. I unplugged the battery for a couple of seconds and connected it back up. I was too excited to wait for all the drive cycles. Code never came back. Man, I was gunning it from light to light haha. I was so happy to see that I could accelarate past 5000 rmp at take off.
damn u 2 lol im happy everything worked out for both of you im just kinda frustrated cause im suppose to be moving my car into diffrent shops for the sema show but instead it sits dead in the driveway
Old 09-24-13, 10:53 PM
Advil4u
Lead Lap

Haleluya I have all gears again the best feeling.i was smiling like crazy ended up having to change solenoid 1 man did it hurt to pay 400 $ 350 for solenoid 50 for oil but in the end its running yay

Quick Reply: P0763 Shift Solenoid Fixed..