GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Watch this video clip and diagnose starting problem with my GS400

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-08, 09:03 PM
Kruger
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Watch this video clip and diagnose starting problem with my GS400

For the second time in a few weeks my 1999 GS400 is at the Lexus dealership. It starts intermittently - the guages will all light up but when I turn the key, nothing - no clicking from the starter, nada. Here's a link to a 45 second video on photobucket: I'd appreciate any insight into a diagnosis. The dealership wanted to replace the starter on a hunch the first time I took it in...that's a $1,000 repair on these cars. There appears to be no correlation with weather or temperature. I replaced the battery in mid-August, I don't recall any starting problems before that. The car has approx 64,000 miles.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...arterGS400.flv
Old 12-30-08, 09:21 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it really really seems to be the starter...im in school to be a mechanic..and every time something like this has happened its been the starter...take it to a good local mechanic, and it shouldn't be over $500 the starter itself is under 200..and its really not that hard to get to it..they just make it seem like it is, so they jack the price
Old 12-30-08, 10:25 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

starter contacts need to be replaced. Should not be a big deal. If you replace them and still have problems, check all your cables and be sure you have good connections. If you still have problems, the whole starter needs to be replaced. Good luck
Old 12-30-08, 10:26 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Low miles do not matter as much as the number of cranks.
The contacts in your starter are most likely toast (this is a wear part in the starter solenoid with a lifespan of 10+ years) .

There is lots of info on starter rebuild / replacement on this forum.

Now, the question is, are you willing to tackle this fix yourself?
Easily done for less than $50, cost of new contacts, gaskets, coolant and a few hours.
...or pay someone $600 to $1000 for the fix.
On the 1uz motor the complete intake must be removed to access the starter.

Where in Texas are you...?
Old 12-30-08, 10:39 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NO click whatsoever? When my starter went out, the starter clicked once. Open the window and listen for a click.
Old 12-30-08, 11:01 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Not positive but i think it's the starter for the look of that video. But also, when you said it only has 65k miles, that just makes you jump into conclusion. But if it really is the starter, it surely is going to be expensive to change labor wise because the starter is underneath the intake so its going to cost a lot of hours thats why it's expensive. So GL!
Old 12-30-08, 11:13 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thing is check the ignition fuse it's in the box under the hood. Mine blew and I had no power going to the starter just wouldn't turn over. Fuse replaced and bam. On the road again. Just a thought, might just that simple. At least rule it out.
Old 12-30-08, 11:37 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes, Nate is right on.
Check the simple stuff first.
Old 12-31-08, 12:17 AM
ShaneC
Lexus Champion

could be what fonzy said too. does your key have the battery in side it?
Old 12-31-08, 12:18 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nate579
Another thing is check the ignition fuse it's in the box under the hood. Mine blew and I had no power going to the starter just wouldn't turn over. Fuse replaced and bam. On the road again. Just a thought, might just that simple. At least rule it out.
it's a relay so it's bigger than a fuse

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
I looks like your security system is not recognizing your key.
this got me thinking...try starting in neutral in an open field in case the gear position isn't recognizing that it's in park.

If it's not even clicking, I would also check the cable that runs from the battery to the starter.
Old 12-31-08, 12:29 AM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It looks like your security system is not recognizing your key.

Last edited by GS FONZy; 01-01-09 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-31-08, 01:24 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
I looks like your security system is not recognizing your key.
That's what I thought, but the car would still turn over. I'd check the fuses and relay's first.
Old 12-31-08, 01:55 PM
Oleg400
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kruger
For the second time in a few weeks my 1999 GS400 is at the Lexus dealership. It starts intermittently - the guages will all light up but when I turn the key, nothing - no clicking from the starter, nada. Here's a link to a 45 second video on photobucket: I'd appreciate any insight into a diagnosis. The dealership wanted to replace the starter on a hunch the first time I took it in...that's a $1,000 repair on these cars. There appears to be no correlation with weather or temperature. I replaced the battery in mid-August, I don't recall any starting problems before that. The car has approx 64,000 miles.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...arterGS400.flv
Same thing happend to me set the car in N and push it it might start or just knock the starter with something(worked for me), but as everyone else stated its the starter and its starting to go out.
Old 12-31-08, 06:19 PM
GS_OREO
Pole Position

Get a test light and check power to to the starter while cranking the car. That would elminate all the fuses, relays,and wiring from the ignition system.

If you get power, then its a bad starter. If nothing, then get the schematics and start tracing wires, fuses, and relays.
Old 12-31-08, 06:42 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
starter contacts need to be replaced. Should not be a big deal. If you replace them and still have problems, check all your cables and be sure you have good connections. If you still have problems, the whole starter needs to be replaced. Good luck
I have heard horror stories of how to get to the gs400 starter ...

Good luck

:ver and out::

Quick Reply: Watch this video clip and diagnose starting problem with my GS400