GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help!!! Tail light indicator came on, not sure why

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-09, 10:01 AM
STR
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!! Tail light indicator came on, not sure why

I have a 2000 GS3 and the indicator for a burnt out tail light came on and I have no idea why. I checked the tail lights, brake lights, bulbs, and fuses. It comes on when I first step on the brake after staring the car. That's supposed to indicate a bad bulb, but there doesn't seem to be one. Anyone have any experience with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, isn't the bottom part of the tail light the only part that has a brake light in it or does the top on light up too? My top lights don't come on when the brake is pressed, but I don't think they're supposed to.
Old 01-02-09, 10:20 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by STR
I have a 2000 GS3 and the indicator for a burnt out tail light came on and I have no idea why. I checked the tail lights, brake lights, bulbs, and fuses. It comes on when I first step on the brake after staring the car. That's supposed to indicate a bad bulb, but there doesn't seem to be one. Anyone have any experience with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, isn't the bottom part of the tail light the only part that has a brake light in it or does the top on light up too? My top lights don't come on when the brake is pressed, but I don't think they're supposed to.
Did you check the front bulbs? Also check with and with out your lights turned on. Some of the dual filament bulbs can be tricky to spot.
Old 01-02-09, 10:31 AM
STR
Rookie

I just noticed the top part of the tail lights doesn't light up when you push the brake. I'm not sure if it's supposed to though. It would be kinda weird if both of them went out at the same time.
Old 01-02-09, 12:11 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

try checking the bulbs for corrosion.
Old 01-02-09, 12:25 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a pretty common problem on Lexus cars. Your problem MAY be in the anti-collision lights (known as 3rd eye). These are inside the car near your rear window. If any of these bulbs are blown you will get this indication.

We had this problem with my brother-in-laws 99 LS400. All other bulbs were changed, and it was not until we did these did the light go out.

Check it out and see if this is your problem. I have a 99 GS400, so my rear tails look a little different than the newer cars.

I think that the top part of the light assemblies out back should be for reverse lights and turn signals when you have them on.

Good luck and keep us apprised.

Last edited by gserep1; 01-02-09 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-02-09, 12:39 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Originally Posted by gserep1
This is a pretty common problem on Lexus cars. Your problem MAY be in the anti-collision lights (known as 3rd eye). These are inside the car near your rear window. If any of these bulbs are blown you will get this indication.

We had this problem with my brother-in-laws 99 LS400. All other bulbs were changed, and it was not until we did these did the light go out.

Check it out and see if this is your problem. I have a 99 GS400, so my rear tails look a little different than the newer cars.

I think that the top part of the light assemblies out back should be for reverse lights and turn signals when you have them on.

Good luck and keep us apprised.
3rd eye? Never heard them called that before. Always high mount brake light. Great suggestion either way.

The OP's car has the same tails as yours (98-00). Aren't the turn and reverse light in the middle not the top?
Old 01-02-09, 05:30 PM
STR
Rookie

Thanks for the 3rd brake light suggestion. That's what it was. I checked the brake lights one more time and noticed the middle of the brake light wasn't lit. Checked out the bulbs and the one in the middle was burnt out. $2.00 and a Wal-Mart trip later, problem solved .
Old 01-02-09, 07:00 PM
dxb_8788
Pole Position

that happen to me once i checked my rear light and i couldnt found any burn light then i checked the 3rd brake light i noticed the small middle one doesnt work
Old 01-04-09, 02:26 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

You are welcome. Happy to help. I only know because it happened to me. It is great to be able to exchange ideas and experiences.
Old 01-04-09, 03:40 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Good call gsresp1!
Old 01-04-09, 05:13 PM
GS3ooMania
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

on the 2000 taillights does the outer top lights soposed to be lit up when steping on the brake?
Old 01-04-09, 05:51 PM
DrewGS350
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks! I have the same problem at the moment...will check out the "3rd eye" . Brake light in the spoiler
Old 01-05-09, 10:23 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Debonair
Did you check the front bulbs? Also check with and with out your lights turned on. Some of the dual filament bulbs can be tricky to spot.
i was unaware this worked on the front bulbs, thought this was a taillight indicator......?mine came on when i first bought it, had a faulty bulb on my 3rd brake light that would sometimes light up and sometimes not so when i went to change it i couldnt find it till one day i finally noticed it! also check the upper bulbs on the outside taillights they can be tricky to spot if they are out
Old 01-05-09, 12:27 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

I must really be old...(56), but back when the high mounted stop lamp first came out, it was called the "cyclops" or third eye, since it sits higher than the regular brake lights, and is mounted in the center.

Sorry if I confused anyone
J
Old 01-07-09, 11:36 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by gserep1
I must really be old...(56), but back when the high mounted stop lamp first came out, it was called the "cyclops" or third eye, since it sits higher than the regular brake lights, and is mounted in the center.

Sorry if I confused anyone
J
hell, i have never heard them called the anti-collision lights!

Quick Reply: Help!!! Tail light indicator came on, not sure why