GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2GS3 Foglight Mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-09, 05:52 PM
Mr.412
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RI-Lex
electrical is not my one of my strenghts
same here brother, same here
Old 01-06-09, 07:09 PM
MR2-Mike
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea well i never turn my fogs off to begin with so it worked out.

its easy you guys, the positive connection thats going from your car into the ballast just snip it and splice it into the positive wire of the sidemarkers.
Old 01-07-09, 09:34 AM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

electrocute by live wire is a ******... never want to mess with...
Old 01-19-09, 12:12 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

He knows... LOL
Old 01-19-09, 01:50 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MR2-Mike
i figured it out...all i did was splice into the corner light power wire with the fog HID kit power wire and bam..
Just a heads up, you may run into issues by installing it that way. The lights in your corners lights are a very low wattage/amperage and the circuit is only designed for such a bulb. First of all your HID's spike when you initially turn them on which would just blow the fuse but when used normally (after the initial spike) will most likely pull considerably more amperage through that circuit than the little corner light you already have hooked on there.

This may cause the wires to be getting really hot somewhere, possibly hot to the point of starting a fire etc...under the right conditions (a hot day for example). It would be in your best interest to add a relay to each side. They are very simple to install and will only run about $5 per side but will make sure you don't overload that circuit and start a fire etc....the also *may* give you a little more output if you are indeed currently starving the ballasts for power, it's a win-win situation. If you aren't familiar with how to wire a relay I can walk you through it, it's pretty easy.
Old 01-19-09, 03:36 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by macd7919
Just a heads up, you may run into issues by installing it that way. The lights in your corners lights are a very low wattage/amperage and the circuit is only designed for such a bulb. First of all your HID's spike when you initially turn them on which would just blow the fuse but when used normally (after the initial spike) will most likely pull considerably more amperage through that circuit than the little corner light you already have hooked on there.

This may cause the wires to be getting really hot somewhere, possibly hot to the point of starting a fire etc...under the right conditions (a hot day for example). It would be in your best interest to add a relay to each side. They are very simple to install and will only run about $5 per side but will make sure you don't overload that circuit and start a fire etc....the also *may* give you a little more output if you are indeed currently starving the ballasts for power, it's a win-win situation. If you aren't familiar with how to wire a relay I can walk you through it, it's pretty easy.
I totally agree, if you're going to do this kind of mod it's better to do it the right way, no cutting corners it might hurt you in the long run.
Old 01-19-09, 03:38 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
but IIRC you have to have the same type of PnP kit on both so that the connectors match up exactly.
You don't have to have the same type of kit because all the connections will be the same since the lows and fogs both use 9006 bulbs.
Old 01-19-09, 07:10 AM
LexChipS
Driver

I remember someone saying just extend the Headlight bulbs to reach the Fogs and the Fog light bulbs to reach the Headlights with I actually think *haven't done it* that you won't have to tap into any wires. Let me know if anyone has done it this way.
Old 01-19-09, 02:26 PM
MR2-Mike
Driver

Originally Posted by macd7919

lol you know wha's funny about this. i go away for training for a week, I come back and my car dosen't start. I took it to a mechanic and he said it might be the ECU..blah..think the ghetto hookup on the HIDS did this?
Old 01-19-09, 02:41 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

mine were a simple plug and play HID kit.... 4300k into my fogs
Old 01-19-09, 02:54 PM
jamjam
Driver School Candidate

get some pics up after you get them on =]