GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Wondering if anyone's done this before...might be write-up worthy if i do it...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-09, 09:06 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wondering if anyone's done this before...might be write-up worthy if i do it...

Hey all. I just had a thought as I was trying to decide on a color for my 194 parking lights in the high beam housing.

With my pnp HID kit, i've noticed sometimes that people have trouble seeing my blinker (there's plenty of glare, so the amber probably gets lost). What i'm thinking, is find a high powered Amber LED, have it fire into the high beam housing (obviously would be the only thing on in there until i hit the means) but wire it to the turn signal. ideally i would like it to stay on, and then flash with the blinker but i realize that may require a relay, which I would be clueless on how to wire that in, maybe someone could chime in with a relay they know works?

I'm just wondering if anyone has thought of doing this. I would imagine it'd be a pretty simple mod, clip the power wire to the 194 and seal the end, splice that into the power lead on the blinker. would also light during the day too, not really my objective but not a bad thing either. Thought it might look cool.

Feel free to chime in if you guys have/know someone who has done this already or think you know of a relay to make them constant and flash with the blinker.
Old 01-04-09, 09:31 PM
trunkflapp
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, this would be pretty sweet....

subscribed

Quincy
Old 01-04-09, 10:45 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That could be interesting, try it out and see how it looks! I'm sure you know you'll need a resistor on the LED so it doesn't blink fast but didn't see it above so thought I'd mention it.
Old 01-05-09, 12:45 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
That could be interesting, try it out and see how it looks! I'm sure you know you'll need a resistor on the LED so it doesn't blink fast but didn't see it above so thought I'd mention it.
nah it won't be on the high beam, only on the 194, and i think with the power lead coming directly from the blinker it will only turn on when the blinker does...dunno, i guess i'll have to try it out. Will update whenever possible.
Old 01-05-09, 01:47 AM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have LED in my high beam city lights, but they aren't bright... so I'll talk about what I thought you wanted to do... making the corner light blink... As I don't want it to turn on all the time, I'd just need to cut the corner power wire and tap power from signal...

I don't have a problem with my signal light unable to be seen from the front though... I've switched the signal housing and front lens from a angel eye light, which is much clearer... when I turn my blinkers on, I can see a beam of orange light on the road over my HIDs...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
method #1
To make it turn on whenever you signal...
- just cut the power wire of the corner light tap wire from signal, connect to corner (or 194, but it'll not turn on all the time), then tape up the exposed wire.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
method #2
If you want the corner to turn OFF when you have your lights ON and signaling

-cut the power wire from the corner light and connect from (car end) 30 to (light end) 87a
-then cap the 87 so it'll turn the light OFF when signal is triggered
-tap power wire of signal to 86
-connect 85 to ground

but as said, the light will only work if light is on (it doesn't blink if you don't have you lights on as there will always be no power) (But if you don't turn you HID on people should see your signal anyways, so it should be fine)

method #3
If you want the light to be able to blink even if the headlights are off, you need to first find power feed to the oem signal relay which supplies power then you move the signal stalk.

If you can find it you need 3 relays in total

- relay#1
30 - power from battery
86 - headlight
85 - ground
87 - relay#2's 30
87a - relay#3's 30

- relay#2
30 - from relay #1's 87
86 - signal power (from stalk)
85 - ground
87 - cap (off)
87a - to relay#3's 30

- relay#3
30 - from both relay #1 and 2's 87a
86 - tap from power wire of signal light
85 - ground
87 - to the light itself
87a - cap (off)

disclaimer: I haven't done it, so I don't know if it'll work or if there will be enough power to go through all 3 relays... I'm merely giving an idea of how it should work. Do it at your own risk!

PS: it's the same if you do the corner light (what I'd do and thought you were going to do...) or the 194 city light (as they both works exactly the same)

Last edited by Solo_D33A; 01-05-09 at 02:22 AM.
Old 01-05-09, 02:41 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

^^ excellent explanation man. I think i'm gonna try it just by splicing the power lead in a T with the city light lead, but maybe in the future do some fiddling with relays.

thanks for the info
Old 01-05-09, 04:13 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

you can be the first and please do a write-up. I would really like to see the outcome
Old 01-05-09, 08:37 AM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be a cool mod, I've got 194 LED's in my high beam housing, but it's not very bright.
Old 01-05-09, 09:33 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
you can be the first and please do a write-up. I would really like to see the outcome

I'm with you on this