GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How do you reset the Auto Leveling Motors for Headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-09, 09:17 AM
jonny2k
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you reset the Auto Leveling Motors for Headlights?

I replaced my stock D2R bulbs in my HID headlights a few days ago w/6000k bulbs I purchased from Cliffud. It was an easy 10 minute bulb swap, but ever since then my low beams aim way up high and very little light makes it to the street level. What I've also noticed is that my auto leveling motors no longer make any sound when I start my car either, and that was something I used to hear all the time when I'd be driving as they'd continually readjust.

I disconnected the negative terminal on the battery when I changed the bulbs, so I thought perhaps removing the neg terminal again may reset the computer for the Leveling motors. I did that last night and left in off for 1 hour, but when I hooked it back up and started the car.....the leveling motors still wouldn't function. I took the neg battery terminal off again and this time left it off overnight (9 hours). I hooked it back up this morning but the motors still will not operate.

Does anyone know how to reset the Auto Leveling Motors or the computer to get them to function again? I find it difficult to believe they would coincidentally die when changing the bulbs, so I'm thinking I just need to reset them some how.

Thanks for reading and for any suggestions you guys may have!
Old 01-08-09, 10:55 AM
olddog
Pole Position

hey johnny,

dont base whether the auto levellers are working upon startup sound. if they dont then the auto-levellers are not working for sure.
next step: check to ensure they(auto levellers) are plugged in and connected properly.
if they are, then the only thing left will be the computer controlling the auto-levellers (which i would guess was the problem in the first instance cos its unusual for both leveller motors to go out at the same time.)
check the fuse for the computer(not sure where it is or if there is any). The computer for the auto-levveller motors( there is only one controlling both motors) is located underneath the driverside headlight
isn't it annoying when a simple DIY task leads to another more expensive problem....lol
makes u regret DIYing at times....

try the above and let us know
good luck

olddog

Last edited by olddog; 01-08-09 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-08-09, 02:34 PM
jonny2k
Pole Position

Thanks a lot for your input Mike. I'll go out and check things when our massive rain storms let up and update you with what I find.
Old 01-08-09, 03:02 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Check the sensors, fuses, etc...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
loca.pdf (90.2 KB, 687 views)
Old 01-08-09, 03:10 PM
jonny2k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PHML
Yeah, I suppose I'll have to check that too but I really don't know how they
sensors could be affected. All I did was remove the bulbs and replace them w/new ones....I never disconnected or even TOUCHED any other area other than directly where the bulbs & covers are located. I was done in less than 10 mins and again, I didn't touch anywhere close to where the sensors are located.

I know....you're just trying to help and to point out the potential culprits. I'm just frustrated b/c I know this has to be something simple, and I'm tired of getting flipped off and flashed b/c my lights are in other drivers line of sight. As a result I decided that I will not be driving at night to avoid becoming a safety hazard....at least until this is resolved.

I'm going to put my old bulbs back in when the rains stop around here and see if that makes a difference.
Old 01-08-09, 06:52 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have the auto-level malfunction light on at all?
Old 01-08-09, 07:54 PM
jonny2k
Pole Position

No, the malfunction light has not come on at all.

Also, the rain hasn't let up so I'm not going to be able to get to this until tomorrow
Old 01-08-09, 08:18 PM
jonny2k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PHML
Quick question on this diagram...........where is this fuse block located exactly, inside the fender??
Old 01-09-09, 05:15 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi there i have the same issue i replaced both of my headlights with brand new ones but after the installation the driver side auto leveling is not working i will mess with it this week end will keep you guys posted
Old 01-09-09, 06:21 AM
jonny2k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by quickGS300
Hi there i have the same issue i replaced both of my headlights with brand new ones but after the installation the driver side auto leveling is not working i will mess with it this week end will keep you guys posted
Which did you replace, the headlights or just the bulbs? Because my issue is a result of a simple bulb replacement...
Old 01-09-09, 07:04 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jonny2k
Which did you replace, the headlights or just the bulbs? Because my issue is a result of a simple bulb replacement...
I replaced the both headlights and bulbs
Old 01-11-09, 07:38 PM
jonny2k
Pole Position

TTT b/c I still can't figure out where the fuse is located for the Auto Leveling Motor computer
Old 01-11-09, 11:59 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Have you tried putting the previous bulbs back in to see if they work IDK just another thing to try.
Old 01-12-09, 12:06 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Have you tried putting the previous bulbs back in to see if they work IDK just another thing to try.
that wouldnt affect ANYTHING.start at square one, check the fuses on the auto leveling motors and then move on to next possible problem.... maybe you accidentally disconnected a wire when you were changing the bulbs?
Old 01-14-09, 09:33 PM
daj430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by habeeb89
Do you have the auto-level malfunction light on at all?
what if the malfunction light is on, do i automatically take it to a dealer???

Quick Reply: How do you reset the Auto Leveling Motors for Headlights?