GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

SC vs. GS....members with experience please chime in

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-09, 12:38 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default SC vs. GS....members with experience please chime in

well, i've been thinking a lot about SC's lately (1sc not 430s), and I'm wondering what impressions people who went from an SC to a GS have about them. whether the SC is comparable or not, etc. I'm not looking for pointing out the fact that you can get a manual or it has 2 doors instead of four, i know the obvious basics. I've never driven one so i'd like to see some input from people with experience.

Tried searching but theres really no actual discussion of the differences and similarities between the models.
Old 01-10-09, 02:31 PM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing I know about an SC is from what my brother had to deal with. His had a factory 12 cd changer that didn't play cd's 30% of the time. Also had to replace a window regulator assembly and had miscellaneous other electrical issues. That said, it was a 92 or 93, so most cars of that age experience alot of the same thing. Nothing major though.
Old 01-10-09, 02:43 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The only thing I don't miss about my SC's are those heavy *** doors... lol

Other than that I have no complaints about it...

If you get one, get a 96+

I don't regret making the switch from SC to 2GS at all though.
Old 01-10-09, 02:46 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 115 Likes on 54 Posts

i had a 92 with a 1jz, if you get it it will be alright, but you will complain about certain things within the car.. largly do to its outdated.. if i were you dont even look at the 92-96 get a 97 and up, preferably a 99 and up (had the gs steering wheels and our key) if you get the 97-98 it did come with the refresh but didnt have our keys or steering wheel, and if you want the gated shifter you want 98 and up.... so 99 and up for sure..
Old 01-10-09, 02:47 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 1993 SC400, a 99 LS400, and now an 2003 GS430. Of them all I like the GS430 the best. I wont compare the LS since you didn't ask, but it was a great car, just not for me.

Anyway, I have always loved Coupes. Almost all my cars were 2-Door coupes of some sort. Coupe bodies just appeal to me most of the time. I like the looks of the SC400, but the older ones started getting a little outdated looking too me unless modded. The newer 97+ body style helps a lot, but I would try and find a 98+ SC400 not only for the updated body pieces, but for the updated engine and tranny. I didn't think my 250HP SC400 was all that quick or fast.

Trunk wise there is little room since like the UCF10/20 LS400 the gas tank is right behind the rear seat back, so you loose practically half your trunk space. Check the SC forums for all the common problems. Most are similar to any other Lexus like practically all the suspension bushings will need to be replaced before 100K, steering rack bushings, engine and trans mounts, fuel pump ECU probably will need replacing or DIY fix soon than later if not done already. Gauge lights and needles will die. Needles can be replaced with LED by OLT (Memeber on CL).

Anyway, I always wanted an SC, but was somewhat disappointed when I finally got one. That is just my experience with them though as others love them to death. I much rather have the 2nd Gen GS even if I generally prefer coupes. The lack of trunk space really did bug me and that is why we sold the 99 LS400 as well.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 01-10-09 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-10-09, 02:48 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 115 Likes on 54 Posts

oh shoot and i did notice you want a 5spd if you do for sure get a 97 but they are rare and hard to find... i dont know the exact numbers but from what I hear they are rare!
Old 01-10-09, 02:49 PM
arpham
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Curry
haha I agree. I went from a 95 sc40 to the 02Gs.

I miss the power of the v8 and also the weird smell in the car after it rained.
Old 01-10-09, 02:50 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, if you really did want a 5-Speed manual than obviously that limits you to the SC300. If so, and you want power, you might as well drop the 2JZ-GTE in there.
Old 01-10-09, 02:52 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

One of my very close friend owns a 98 SC300 (cl member also) and I've driven his car a few times. Interior, the GS wins hands down, which is not a surprise since it's a newer design than the SC, which dates back to 91. It's not fair to compare since my GS has a V8, but as far as handling, I like the GS' handing more. The long overhang and wheelbase of the SC makes it really feel like a boat unless you upgrade suspension. However, I do feel the SC is a sportier car and it just looks damn good once you throw in some wheels and suspension. One thing I like about the SC (particularly the newer model) is that you can turn off the telescoping steering feature. Why lexus didn't do that for the 2GS...who knows...

If you're looking at the SC300, look out for the rear main seal. They tend to be common on mostly 2jz-GE engines.

At the end of the day, I'd love to have both cars just because the GS is quiet and smooth, but the SC (98-00) is sporty and unique.
Old 01-10-09, 03:01 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The biggest dislike I had with my SC was the seats, my head would hit the roof. Swapped to Supra seats, it's much better now. I see the SC as a car that has great potential, but it is up to the needs of the owner.

Look here, it will give you actual input from SC owners.

SC vs GS

Things you hate about your SC
Old 01-10-09, 03:05 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh yeah, no way it will seat four average height adults, no way!
Old 01-10-09, 04:38 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
One thing I like about the SC (particularly the newer model) is that you can turn off the telescoping steering feature. Why lexus didn't do that for the 2GS...who knows...
Can be turned off at the dealership but they will charge you labor money to do it unless they are nice...

My boss went from a 95 SC400 to a 00 GS400 to a 02 SC430. Of those cars, he liked his GS the best, however it didn't last that long (curb + 20s + 90 degree turn ftl). He was 6'3"-6'4" and also complained of his head hitting the ceiling. I may sound biased but keep the GS or if you really want more power, do the GTE swap.
Old 01-10-09, 08:47 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hmm...that's some interesting input. The main thing is i HATE...HATE HATE HATE...HATE having an automatic trans and would not be able to afford a 5spd swap if i plan on getting any more power out of this thing. Right now my debate is between NA-Ting the gs and getting coils eventually, or trading for an already boosted (or swapped) SC with a 5spd. Normally i would be against buying cars with work done that i didnt do because its kinda cheating, but a college student does what a college student does. Toying with the possibility of a cobra and then grabbing a truck for the winter but that's neither here nor there.

I know the GS would be a blast with boost and stuff, but the addiction to manual trans is absolutely killin me. If it was more monetarily feasible, i'd throw a GTE with either an R154 or a V160, but I just flat out do not have the money to do so.

Keep the opinions on the SC coming, I'd really like to hear all of them.
Old 01-10-09, 10:25 PM
Emackny
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Your options are enless.. I've had my 92' for a while now and dont want to part with it. She's my beater but has run strong since I got her.. Handling is better than the GS in IMHO. The GS interior is far better needless to say. The quality of the leather back then sucked.. (was it even leather?? I dont know..) Common problems: cluster gauges and ac display (lights go out). Power steering bushings go out (especially if your dropped. Poly bushings are a MUST). Leather cracks due to age. All being said.. I dont have work done to mine. Just a simple suspension drop.

Just posting a pic for the hell of it.. its been a while. lol

Last edited by Emackny; 01-10-09 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-10-09, 10:32 PM
Emackny
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Curry

Other than that I have no complaints about it...

If you get one, get a 96+

I don't regret making the switch from SC to 2GS at all though.
Oh yeah.. The doors are heavy as hell... lol

Quick Reply: SC vs. GS....members with experience please chime in