GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Buying my GS430.. NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-09, 12:33 PM
lexGS4me
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buying my GS430.. NEED HELP

Hello everyone.. my name is Mark and I am new to ClubLexus.

I am a current Scion tC owner and am looking to make the switch to a GS430. I've been searching endlessly for a while now to see what is available, and I frequent autotrader and other car classifieds online. My criteria includes.. black/white exterior, black leather interior a must, and preferably lower mileage since I don't want crazy wear on the leather.

Anyway, I found an '03 GS430 white/black (very rare color combo) with 99k miles for $15k. Think there's any room to negotiate?

This is what they emailed me when I expressed interest- "The Lexus is in excellent/above average condition. The car is priced with 98k miles. It would be a lot more expensive with lower mileage. I can fax a history report per you providing the fax number. It will need tires within the next year"

Do you guys think this is a decent deal? Is the mileage too high? I don't want to buy a used GS just to put another 2-5grand into it right away just for service maintenance or something. At what intervals should you get serviced to make sure everything's good? At my dealer I think they offer a 15k, 30k, 100k or something like that..... I had my tC serviced at 15k and it probably cost 250-300 just to get a few things checked out.

If I'm leaving some vital info out that would help you assess if this is a good deal or not, please let me know! I am here to get your opinions
Old 01-12-09, 12:40 PM
2000LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Check service records, I just bought an 02 GS and my service records are 2 pages. So i would say start there. The more records the better
Old 01-12-09, 01:24 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000LEX
Check service records, I just bought an 02 GS and my service records are 2 pages. So i would say start there. The more records the better
can never go wrong with knowing what/how your car has been serviced! more service the car has history of the better care/its probably been taken care of better

ne options on the car? navi/ml? chrome rims? 17's? spoiler? etc etc
Old 01-12-09, 01:25 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

have u actually seen/driven car yet? if not when you do, test EVERYTHING
heat/ac/sunroof/trunk/etc etc
Old 01-12-09, 01:34 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Get on Auto Trader or Cars.com and keep looking I found an 03 with 63k miles for 14,500.00. Just waiting for the income tax check. I would also suggest taking it to a Lexus dealership or Toyota to check service records and for a quick inspection. Make sure they look at the front ball joints. My G35 is a great car but, I need to get back into a Lexus. Good luck.
Old 01-12-09, 01:37 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

If you haven't seen the car, you do not really know anything. Don't ever take anyone else's opinion for the condition of a car.

If you want to go around again, the 90K service is the expensive one where the timing belt gets changed and my Lexus dealer makes more money by bundling it in a package where the water pump and a lot of seals get replaced. That cost me over $2K but I expect to keep my GS430 for at least another year or so. I can get the bill out and confirm but it was well over $2K. If the timing belt hasn't been replaced on this one, then I don't care what service records it has, whoever operated it over the last 10K miles was scrimping. And if you have the ID and a friendly Lexus service person, they can pull the service records up on it. At least the service done by Lexus.
Old 01-12-09, 01:37 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by onesickgs
dont forget to ask for a carfax !
NOOOOOOOOOO! Car fax is gay. I almost got into a frame damaged G35 off of car fax. If I didn't bring my brother in law mechanic I would of been screwed. Do an Equifax Auto Check as well as a Car fax you will be surprised whats not reported.
Old 01-12-09, 01:42 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RON430
If you haven't seen the car, you do not really know anything. Don't ever take anyone else's opinion for the condition of a car.

If you want to go around again, the 90K service is the expensive one where the timing belt gets changed and my Lexus dealer makes more money by bundling it in a package where the water pump and a lot of seals get replaced. That cost me over $2K but I expect to keep my GS430 for at least another year or so. I can get the bill out and confirm but it was well over $2K. If the timing belt hasn't been replaced on this one, then I don't care what service records it has, whoever operated it over the last 10K miles was scrimping. And if you have the ID and a friendly Lexus service person, they can pull the service records up on it. At least the service done by Lexus.
Closest Lexus dealership to me was in Atlanta so I went to Toyota. They did the full 90k service for 780.00. Would of been 880.00 - 900.00 if I hadn't done my plugs at 80k.
Old 01-12-09, 01:45 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lexmenow
Closest Lexus dealership to me was in Atlanta so I went to Toyota. They did the full 90k service for 780.00. Would of been 880.00 - 900.00 if I hadn't done my plugs at 80k.
And they did the timing belt for that, right?

I am not happy about paying more for Lexus service but I am not fooling around either. I took the car in a few weeks ago for just an oil change (to a different Lexus dealer for convenience) and after they tried to sell me the timing belt change they looked at the records and saw what has been done to the car. That stopped any discussions of getting anything other than the oil change.

At least I had a RX400h with Navi for almost a week when I had the 90K service done.
Old 01-12-09, 01:48 PM
lexGS4me
10th Gear

Thanks for the suggestions so far, you've all been so helpful! I will get back to you tonight with updates! Any other opinions/suggestions are more than welcomed, I will take everything into account
Old 01-12-09, 02:17 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

I think that white/black GS430 in NY is the only one for sale in the country. It's such a rare combo. I wanted to buy the one you're looking at but it was too far and the dealer was asking $19k before.
Old 01-12-09, 10:06 PM
indo79
Rookie

As long as you test drive the car and check the service records and it looks fine, go for it. I bought an 02 GS430 fully loaded last year with 96k miles and I have had no problems since.
Old 01-12-09, 10:38 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lexGS4me

Anyway, I found an '03 GS430 white/black (very rare color combo) with 99k miles for $15k. Think there's any room to negotiate?
white/black!? wow, buy it!
Gosh....430s are going for that price? I paid about that much for my 98 GS400 two years ago.

Originally Posted by onesickgs
dont forget to ask for a carfax !
carfax doesn't meant squat. i've seen cars some as "clean" that had an accident.
Old 01-13-09, 07:41 AM
lexGS4me
10th Gear

Originally Posted by indo79
As long as you test drive the car and check the service records and it looks fine, go for it. I bought an 02 GS430 fully loaded last year with 96k miles and I have had no problems since.
Really?? They said it just needs new tires soon. I'm also hesitating on the deal because of the location. Granted, its only about an hour from me, but that also means it's seen Buffalo (Rochester) winters, which are NASTY! Do you think this should affect my decision? My tC that I drive now has been through a couple winters, but I'm also A) not keeping it and B) looking to move to Atlanta in June. I'd like my Lexus to last me at least a few years, maybe 5..

Would it be better to hold off til the summer to find what I'm looking for or do you think the higher mileage (99k) and the fact it's seen northeastern winters should be a deterrent? The rare color combo is very very enticing, but not enough to get me to look past the fact it's very likely seen several snowy winters. I just want to get your ideas on if that should really matter or not, being just 5 or 6 years old and 100k miles of life so far.

Thanks!
Mark
Old 01-13-09, 08:00 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

As far as the winter cars are concerned I don't have two much experience. We don't have that issue where im from. But I do suggest you find a independent shop in the same area as the dealer to inspect the car for you. When you go to test drive the car ask them to let you get a second opinion on its condition. Have the shop put it up on the lift and check for signs of rust or damage.

Quick Reply: Buying my GS430.. NEED HELP