GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Not starting after disconnected battery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-09, 11:16 AM
Emil
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not starting after disconnected battery?

Jump started another car off my GS today,and the ground came off the battery (wasn't on tight),and since i've connected it back up,all that i get is the starter motor turning but the engine doesn't fire up?

only got the valet key no master key,this shouldn't make a difference should it?

please help need to fix it before i go abroad in 2 days,and i need the car tomorrow!!
Old 01-13-09, 11:30 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Sorry to hear about this. Have you checked all the fuses? That sounds like the most likely cause to me. It may also be possible that the anti theft somehow got activated and and is interrupting the ignition or fuel system somehow.

Although I have done it in the past this is why people recommend not "jump starting" other vehicles from electronic intensive vehicles like out Lexus'.
Old 01-13-09, 11:35 AM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try disconnecting it and reconnecting it again...
Old 01-13-09, 11:35 AM
Emil
Pole Position

not checked fuses yet as i had to run off to finish working on another car then had the wonderful rain come

just went back out and tried starting now,after a few seconds the starter starts to die,not suprised so tomorrow going to join a battery from another car up for a while and see what happens and check the fuses out
Old 01-13-09, 11:38 AM
Emil
Pole Position

ok will try that,and the anti theft,any tips on how to turn it off?

the other car was jumped with the GS turned off,but hasn't seemed to affect the GS? but there was a small spark while connecting the negative but this shouldn't affect it i think,i've jumped started around a thousand times so far
Old 01-13-09, 11:48 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Originally Posted by Emil
not checked fuses yet as i had to run off to finish working on another car then had the wonderful rain come

just went back out and tried starting now,after a few seconds the starter starts to die,not suprised so tomorrow going to join a battery from another car up for a while and see what happens and check the fuses out
I would not try the daisy chain method to try and solve this. Take the battery out of the car and charge it. This way you avoid any other issues or possible problems by keeping it simple. Just my .02 cents.

... i think,i've jumped started around a thousand times so far
1000 Jump Starts? Invest in a jump box.
Old 01-13-09, 11:51 AM
Emil
Pole Position

lol,thats just a rough guess i've lost count how many times i've done it something around that figure i guess,use to have 11 cars so had plenty to choose from to jump from

going to take battery out and charge it overnight on trickle,thank god my dad brought a battery charger,saves me buying one
Old 01-13-09, 12:09 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If the battery cable are loose then you might of just ran out of juice. Also, there is sensor next to the place where you open your trunk and fuel cap. You'll see one little bulb - that is the sensor. Place your vallet key next to it for a few seconds before you try starting your car.

make sure your battery cables are tight and charged first.

GL.
Old 01-13-09, 12:16 PM
Emil
Pole Position

thanks will give that a try tomorrow morning aswell
Old 01-13-09, 12:37 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Originally Posted by sam430
If the battery cable are loose then you might of just ran out of juice. Also, there is sensor next to the place where you open your trunk and fuel cap. You'll see one little bulb - that is the sensor. Place your vallet key next to it for a few seconds before you try starting your car.

GL.
Are you talking about the Alarm LED? I'm pretty sure there is no sensor there. That's just the alarm LED and the gauge Dimmer control.

See BananaGS' Pics below:

Old 01-13-09, 02:20 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

I will double check the manual. I remember the instruction was to put the spare keys next to something for a while and that was the spot that came into mind. I'll check when I get home.
Old 01-13-09, 10:28 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sam430

GL.
Thank you so much! I've just learned something
Old 01-13-09, 11:08 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Here are the instruction:

1) REMOVE the key plate from the key case.

2) Bring the key case closer to the ignition switch within 10 seconds as indicated by the arrow (see pic below). The indicator lights goes out. This means the immobiliser system is automatically canceled. You can then put the key case away. You can not cancel the engin immobiliser system if 10 seconds have past after you inserted they key plate. You need to remove the key plate from the ignition switch and try again from step 2.

4) Start the engine within 60 seconds after the security indicator light goes out. You cannot start the engine if 60 seconds have past after the security light indicator went off. Repeat step 2 again if 60 seconds have past.

==========================================

so, you need the key plate (vallet key) and the key case. Key case goes next to the ignition switch for ten seconds until the immobiliser lights goes out(see picture posted by Debonair). You have 60 seconds.

Last edited by sam430; 01-13-09 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-14-09, 04:21 AM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the other car was jumped with the GS turned off,but hasn't seemed to affect the GS? but there was a small spark while connecting the negative but this shouldn't affect it i think,i've jumped started around a thousand times so far
I know this is irrelevant to your problem, but why do you not start the donor vehicle when jumping? It will make jumping easier and quicker and will be easier on the donor battery.
Old 01-14-09, 06:58 AM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I never jump start, did that once on my Dad's benz, and OH BOY, I paid $400.00 for a damn battery LOL

Quick Reply: Not starting after disconnected battery?