GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Bought Bad Oil *help*

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-09, 08:27 PM
bigguppy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bought Bad Oil *help*

Hi everyone. Alright i think, well i know i got screw buying oil at walmark. Yesterday i bought a jugg of 5 qt Mobil 1. I changed my oil today and as i was pooring it in, the oil was dark black. It was totaly old oil that got returned by someone else. Spoke to the manager and they will do a oil change for me tomrrow first thing 7am. I already putted on 50 mils since.

Now this is where i need help/advice. What should i do? Should i have them flush my car entirly out with clean oil before putting in new one? Can i buy anything to poor in to make sure that its all good, because for all i know transmission oil could be mixed in.

Thanks
Ben
Old 01-14-09, 08:35 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I'd have them save some of the oil they remove from your car (a quart of it) and make sure they write on your receipt what happened.

If you're really concerned send the old oil off to Blackstone for analysis and let them know what happened and you want to make sure its old oil and nothing else (watch them remove and save it). http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free_test_kit.html Maybe you can get the car shop to pick up the $23 cost.

It's likely just old oil and you'll be OK.
Old 01-14-09, 08:40 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should have noticed that the seal was broken on the bottles. Just do an oil change. If you are really paranoid, change it again at 1000 miles.
Old 01-14-09, 09:02 PM
bigguppy
Instructor

Thanks for the replys. I actually checked the seal before buying it. Reason was when i picked it up it was a tad lighter than normal. But it was sealed and i was like it must be good. When i poor it into my car i was short a qt. So i end up buying another qt at autozone. Thats when i notice the difference.

I did'nt pay attention too much to the oil at first cuz it was Mobil 1, extend 15,000 mile. So i thought it was something new and let it slid till i stopped by autozone.
Old 01-14-09, 09:15 PM
VIPtint
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive heard of this happening a bunch of times.
Old 01-14-09, 10:16 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

So essentially, a$$holes are changing their oil, putting back their used shiat in the container then returning it to Walmart? That seems like a lot of work to save 26 bucks on a gallon of Mobil 1.

I hate poor degenerate people.
Old 01-14-09, 11:26 PM
bigguppy
Instructor

Pretty much. Its some what my fault should of known all clean oil are golden honey looking. Sigh. I am gonna contact Mobil & Walmart corp personaly.

Last edited by bigguppy; 01-14-09 at 11:36 PM.
Old 01-15-09, 12:52 AM
pingu
Lexus Champion

lol. If you change your own oil on a regular basis you can tell if the seal has been broken. I am surprised that the dark black oil wasn't a second dead give away. I'm not sure what the point is in calling walmart or mobil to complain.
Old 01-15-09, 04:27 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I can't imagine buying something at walmart to use in my Lexus. Sorry to hear this.
Old 01-15-09, 04:54 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by burny
I can't imagine buying something at walmart to use in my Lexus. Sorry to hear this.
Why? I've bought things there to use for my car. He was just the unfortunate victim of a scam that can happen at any place that sells motor oil.

Last edited by MrG4Life; 01-15-09 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-15-09, 05:09 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

i buy oil at walmart all the time..nothing wrong with that its the same thing, you just have to careful.
Originally Posted by burny
Old 01-15-09, 05:11 AM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Similar thing happened to me back in September, but with AutoZone, I changed the oil immediately without running the car on the bad oil, then again a few days later, haven't had any problems with smoke or strange noises so I'm assuming it's all ok.
Here's the whole story...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...nightmare.html
Old 01-15-09, 05:51 AM
captaincru
Rookie

My routine is to use "Motor Flush", or better yet a quart of diesel fuel or even transmission fluid. Poor into the engine and run the engine for 10-15 mins at idle. Then drain and change filter/oil as usual. I do this every 3-4 change. You'd be suprised at how much crud comes out.

I use Rotella T oil. I've been a diesel guy for a long time and, well . . . if it's good enough for a diesel it must be more than enough for a gas engine.
Old 01-15-09, 09:58 AM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by captaincru
My routine is to use "Motor Flush", or better yet a quart of diesel fuel or even transmission fluid. Poor into the engine and run the engine for 10-15 mins at idle. Then drain and change filter/oil as usual. I do this every 3-4 change. You'd be suprised at how much crud comes out.

I use Rotella T oil. I've been a diesel guy for a long time and, well . . . if it's good enough for a diesel it must be more than enough for a gas engine.
Yeah, I've heard about tranny fluid or diesel to clean out the engine. My dad even told me that back in the day one of his friends used to pour gasoline in the engine and start it for a few seconds and he said it would clean it out the crud. My friend has a WRX and he runs diesel oil (Rotella T) regularly instead of gas engine oil because it has more addititives.
Old 01-15-09, 10:05 AM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

I wouldn't use "Motor Flush", but that's just me. If that happened to me, I'd have them drain, fill with regular bulk oil, drain and refill. You want all the old stuff out ASAP, because as DaveGS4 stated, it's probably just oil, but you ran the car 50 miles already.
Better safe than sorry, Best of Luck.

Quick Reply: Bought Bad Oil *help*