GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

brake warning light comes on and off

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-09, 07:49 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by charmz
Funny.

The EXACT same thing happined to my the other day when I stayed the night at a friends place and was unable to park my car indoors as I usually park in a heated garage. It was close to -30 with the wind chill that night, in the morning when I put my foot on the brake the e-brake light kept comming on. It continued for about 30-40 minutes and would come on everytime the brake pedal was pressed and would continue to stay on until release, the issue came back ONCE today when I had to brake hard at highway speed.

Kind of alarming to me as this is the first problem I have encountered with the car. I know my brake pads are due soon and my front rotors are warped. My brake fluid was just changed about 10,000 km ago and is full as I dont think it has anything to do with that.

Let me know if you figure anything out as brakes are something you cant put off
Are you absolutely sure your brake fluid reservoir is full? The condition you are describing would indicate to me it's slightly low. If it's low and you think it should be full because it was recently serviced, you may need to check for leaks.
Old 01-21-09, 08:20 AM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Debonair
Power down your computer and go to sleep grumpy. I follow you but you can't expect people on to know what your thinking. All we can go on is what your type. "it wont throw a light when the pads get low...." Well technically they (the pads) won't throw a light but they can cause the fluid to. So I guess you are Correct. You =

And just a word to the wise: If you go fill up your reservoir when the pads are REAL low it is going to overflow when you put new pads in. Now I am just messing with you - Go easy on me.
Originally Posted by sakataj
not its cool. im just grumpy over all the crap going on with my car mainly im so stuck and not getting anywhere lately, haven't finished my MPD application (well the app is fine...waiting on paperwork from the state to send it in), i didnt get to bed till 4:30.....ty gf, it was snowing when i woke up and although im from up north and LOVE the snow....the 15 min drive to work took me 35 mins cause every moron is Memphis seemed either to be out driving or out wrecking this moron
Can we ALL get ALONG!!!....hahah....group lets
Old 01-21-09, 10:46 AM
charmz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
Are you absolutely sure your brake fluid reservoir is full? The condition you are describing would indicate to me it's slightly low. If it's low and you think it should be full because it was recently serviced, you may need to check for leaks.
I am 100% sure that it is full not because it has been recently replaced but because I have checked with my own eyes.

The problem WENT AWAY and has yet to occur again.

The ONLY TIME (except for once on the highway) that this occur is when I had to leave my car out in the cold overnight and when it was filthy covered in salt to the point where the car looked white rather then gold.

Maybe salt within some brake components has somethign to do with it?
Old 03-02-09, 08:56 PM
austin7891
Pole Position

hmmm just experienced this problem.....iam temporarily parking outside (always garaged) and keep getting brake light at random times even when not braking....going to check fluid level tomorrow and have my dad check pads (hes good with this ****)
Old 03-02-09, 11:56 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

There are 2 types of brake warning light. The "BRAKE" in red or a picture of a car in "YELLOW". Which one is on?

The one in red, you need to check your brake system.
The one in yellow, you need to check your brake lights.
Old 03-03-09, 09:03 AM
chuckli
Driver School Candidate

I actually have the exact same problem, just got the 90k service done, but for some reason, my mechanic told me it didn't need both bottles of brake fluid I got from
sewell which the guy from sewell recommended for 90k, so right after the service my brake light would come on as I brake, now it would come on while I brake when it's cold out, it doesn't do it when it's warm...weird
Old 03-10-09, 05:08 PM
kidoekid
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i second the same problem. mine just started doing this 3 days ago. randomly (red brake light) comes on when the brake foot brake is off and shuts off on its own. doesnt seem to depend on the regular brake pedal to be pressed or depressed when driving, it just goes and comes when it wants, but more often, it stays on. i will take the help in this thread into consideration and check my fluid/pads.
The following users liked this post:
Mdy49 (04-15-24)