GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

tuning issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-09, 07:33 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gs30062-1
Nope closed loop is map plus trims, open is map only. It seems you dont comprehend how a factory ecu works or the point of a piggyback. in closed loop the ecu's target will be 14.7 so when doing what Ford is you only set up for the injector change then you dont mess with any areas of the map that will be in closed loop thus keeping drivability of the factory ecu. and only tune in open loop areas. if AFR needs to be changed in a closed loop area you have to alter o2 signal
I think you are the one who isn't comprehending what I'm saying as you keep repeating the same thing over and over and i dont disagree with you on open/closed loop so I don't know why you keep posting the same thing over and over, maybe your post count is low? Anyways, I don't know how to make it any more clear to you so I will quit trying. Seeing as I've run everything from afcs to haltech e6's I think I may have an idea of how a piggy back and factory ecu work.

Seeing how experienced you are on the subject maybe you can explain how he plans on altering the o2 signal going to the ecu? I'm assuming you aren't foolish enough to think that tuning for 14.7 under partial throttle is acceptable.

Last edited by macd7919; 01-18-09 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-18-09, 07:47 PM
smuv gs3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanna see some pics of your set up just curious.
Old 01-18-09, 08:07 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

ok...i think this is the difference (i may be wrong) the FIC allows you to bias the o2 signal going to the ecu...therefore ...if i needed to add 5% fuel at a given cell...at that same cell in the 02 skew map (psi and rpm) you input -5% soooo..from what i can understand and have been told...it tricks the factory ecu into thinking nothing has changed...it does other stuff as well...but all i know is that i am running fine ATM a little lean..14.1-15.5 (my AEM wideband AFR seems to be jumping around a lot more than usual...how are you supposed to read it? cuz i will be holding a steady 2.5k rpm and it will float from 13.4-15.6...and that is when im on the throttle...so when your aiming for 11.5...how do you know when your there? i have seen 10.2 at wot for a split second..untuned..(i know i know..dont boost untuned..lol i only did it once)
Old 01-18-09, 08:29 PM
gs30062-1
Driver School Candidate

I could care less about post count. Just try to save people from misinformation. It's called O2 modifier table in the aem fic thought you knew everything? it modifies o2 signal just as it can do with injector duty thus the factory ecu thinking it is hitting target AFR when its not and now your not fighting fuel trims they are working for you. I'm now assuming you are foolish enough to think there is a need for a stand alone in every situation.
Originally Posted by macd7919
I think you are the one who isn't comprehending what I'm saying as you keep repeating the same thing over and over and i dont disagree with you on open/closed loop so I don't know why you keep posting the same thing over and over, maybe your post count is low? Anyways, I don't know how to make it any more clear to you so I will quit trying. Seeing as I've run everything from afcs to haltech e6's I think I may have an idea of how a piggy back and factory ecu work.

Seeing how experienced you are on the subject maybe you can explain how he plans on altering the o2 signal going to the ecu? I'm assuming you aren't foolish enough to think that tuning for 14.7 under partial throttle is acceptable.
Old 01-18-09, 08:40 PM
gs30062-1
Driver School Candidate

Very nice sounds like you got it. The wideband will sweep up and down near 14.7 this helps cat efficency. I would only use the o2 skew if a altered AFR in closed loop is needed. When the AFR drops and is steady thats open loop thats where you want to tune on your fuel map then if it seems to begin boosting while in closed loop adjust o2 skew in that area of the skew map
Originally Posted by fordsvtmfl
ok...i think this is the difference (i may be wrong) the FIC allows you to bias the o2 signal going to the ecu...therefore ...if i needed to add 5% fuel at a given cell...at that same cell in the 02 skew map (psi and rpm) you input -5% soooo..from what i can understand and have been told...it tricks the factory ecu into thinking nothing has changed...it does other stuff as well...but all i know is that i am running fine ATM a little lean..14.1-15.5 (my AEM wideband AFR seems to be jumping around a lot more than usual...how are you supposed to read it? cuz i will be holding a steady 2.5k rpm and it will float from 13.4-15.6...and that is when im on the throttle...so when your aiming for 11.5...how do you know when your there? i have seen 10.2 at wot for a split second..untuned..(i know i know..dont boost untuned..lol i only did it once)
Old 01-18-09, 08:43 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

ok...so if i idle at 15.5 and cruise at 13.8-15.2 thats fine? (just checking)
Old 01-18-09, 08:48 PM
gs30062-1
Driver School Candidate

Yup just set up for your injector change and you should be good
Old 01-18-09, 09:26 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

lol...I idle at 13:1 and cruise at 12.5-13:1
Full boost I hit 11.5:1. My gas mileage sucks though, 100-125 miles per tank on E85 and 250miles on 93 octane. Then again, when I'm running E85 I am usually close to 30psi and have my foot in it most of the tank
Old 01-18-09, 10:13 PM
gs30062-1
Driver School Candidate

Some cars have to run a bit richer at idle to run smooth. there is no need to be 13:1 at cruise unless you like to waste gas. I idle 13:7-14:1 at idle and freeway cruise at 14.5:1 or so, for Fords setup there is no need may as well enjoy same mpg as stock when not boosting
Old 01-18-09, 11:40 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

I could care less about post count. Just try to save people from misinformation. It's called O2 modifier table in the aem fic thought you knew everything?
I don't know what your problem is and I never said I knew everything, I even mentioned that I hadn't used that particular unit and asked how you planned on modifying the O2 table but I guess once again you missed that. I told the OP from the beginning (if you had bothered to read the other posts) I quickly skimmed over the FIC and from what I saw it's core function isn't going to be any different than what an AFC was going to do for him as far as learning issues. The article I read on it didn't mention anything about O2 modification and while it did mention being able to change pulse to the injectors that wasn't going to help the OP for the learning issue.

I'm now assuming you are foolish enough to think there is a need for a stand alone in every situation.
You seriously need to work on your comprehension bro, I never said a standalone was needed in everything, I said that you weren't going to run 14.7 partial throttle on a boosted car. I don't know what your problem is with me as I agreed with you on the maps and you continued to try and argue a null point. Either way, I could care less about arguing with you on it as you have already demonstrated that it would be a very long endeavor to gain any intelligible information from your side.

Anyways, moving on, to the OP you can idle in the 16/17's easily. There is no load on the engine and any fuel you run more than whats needed is just wasting fuel. As I said before, under cruising you are fine in the 15/16's, once again, there is very light load on the car so you don't need alot of fuel. I've been running that way for 3 years without issue and I've clocked 25 or so mpg on highway trips.

So you ever going to answer our questions on what fuel setup your running?

Last edited by macd7919; 01-18-09 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-19-09, 11:03 AM
gs30062-1
Driver School Candidate

In your second post you tell him he has to take the fact ECU out of the situation and use AEM/haltec. Ford was asking for help not your opinion on something you know nothing about. I was only repeating myself on open/closed loop because you didnt get it the first time i said it.
AEM EMS 62-1 872cc inj walbrox2
Originally Posted by macd7919
I don't know what your problem is and I never said I knew everything, I even mentioned that I hadn't used that particular unit and asked how you planned on modifying the O2 table but I guess once again you missed that. I told the OP from the beginning (if you had bothered to read the other posts) I quickly skimmed over the FIC and from what I saw it's core function isn't going to be any different than what an AFC was going to do for him as far as learning issues. The article I read on it didn't mention anything about O2 modification and while it did mention being able to change pulse to the injectors that wasn't going to help the OP for the learning issue.

You seriously need to work on your comprehension bro, I never said a standalone was needed in everything, I said that you weren't going to run 14.7 partial throttle on a boosted car. I don't know what your problem is with me as I agreed with you on the maps and you continued to try and argue a null point. Either way, I could care less about arguing with you on it as you have already demonstrated that it would be a very long endeavor to gain any intelligible information from your side.

Anyways, moving on, to the OP you can idle in the 16/17's easily. There is no load on the engine and any fuel you run more than whats needed is just wasting fuel. As I said before, under cruising you are fine in the 15/16's, once again, there is very light load on the car so you don't need alot of fuel. I've been running that way for 3 years without issue and I've clocked 25 or so mpg on highway trips.

So you ever going to answer our questions on what fuel setup your running?
Old 01-19-09, 12:38 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

In your second post you tell him he has to take the fact ECU out of the situation and use AEM/haltec. Ford was asking for help not your opinion on something you know nothing about. I was only repeating myself on open/closed loop because you didnt get it the first time i said it.
AEM EMS 62-1 872cc inj walbrox2
It's fine man, I'm done arguing with you about it. We are obviously not seeing eye to eye on the issue. I wasn't giving my opinion, I was giving him fact on what is proven to work. I won't bother going further into this as I can see you are a person who loves to argue and I don't have the time nor the desire to argue over the internet.

To the OP, the reason I said you should run a Haltech as it will give you full control over fuel tuning, period. If you aren't familiar with the F10x it is a stand alone Fuel ONLY controller running it's own dedicated MAP sensor. There is no interaction of the factory ecu at any point or any load as far as fuel is concerned, there is no "tricking" the ecu, it is a complete fix, not a band-aid such as a piggyback. The problem with running a piggyback is that it will always just be a bandaid fix to make something perform in a way it wasn't intended.

Either way, as I said before, I don't have personal experience with the FIC but I have worked on cars with almost every other system out there. Since it is able to alter the O2 signals to trick the car into thinking it's target A/F are you still altering the MAF signal or can you run the injectors using the FIC independent of the factory signal or do you still need to alter the MAF signal to make fuel adjustments?
Old 01-19-09, 01:29 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Some cars have to run a bit richer at idle to run smooth. there is no need to be 13:1 at cruise unless you like to waste gas. I idle 13:7-14:1 at idle and freeway cruise at 14.5:1 or so, for Fords setup there is no need may as well enjoy same mpg as stock when not boosting
or you could need to be at 13 at idle if you're running 600hp and above on E85 on 30psi....lol.

I mean I have no idea about your experience with NA-T so i won't say you're wrong or knock your info, but damned if mac and jeff aren't pretty much experts when it comes to these cars, top to bottom, left to right, inside out and *** backwards. If you do have the expertise, more power to you, but I'd just be more inclined to listen to what they did. I'm hoping to be NA-T in a couple months myself and will most likely be asking for tuning help from one of those guys, as would many of the members on here.
Old 01-19-09, 02:09 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
I'm hoping to be NA-T in a couple months myself and will most likely be asking for tuning help from one of those guys, as would many of the members on here.
IF i had a gs3 and was doing a turbo conversion or motor swap those are the guys i would ALSO trust/recommend
Old 01-19-09, 02:13 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

"The problem with running a piggyback is that it will always just be a bandaid fix to make something perform in a way it wasn't intended."
Isn't the point of tuning to try and make something work in a way it wasn't intended? lol im jk..but has anyone else had smoke coming out the tail pipes? brand new turbonetics t-62...only driven about 60 miles..but i get this light white (i run mobil one and have been told it burns white) wispy smoke...any ideas? ive been told a seal on the turbo...but i really dont think a brand new turbo would do that...will this harm anything long term? (no cats fyi)
thanks

Quick Reply: tuning issues