GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

tuning issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-09, 02:14 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
or you could need to be at 13 at idle if you're running 600hp and above on E85 on 30psi....lol.

I mean I have no idea about your experience with NA-T so i won't say you're wrong or knock your info, but damned if mac and jeff aren't pretty much experts when it comes to these cars, top to bottom, left to right, inside out and *** backwards. If you do have the expertise, more power to you, but I'd just be more inclined to listen to what they did. I'm hoping to be NA-T in a couple months myself and will most likely be asking for tuning help from one of those guys, as would many of the members on here.
i dont think jeff was trying to say we should run that AFR...i think he was just telling us what he ran...cuz he has such a sick setup..lol
Old 01-19-09, 02:18 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by macd7919

To the OP, the reason I said you should run a Haltech as it will give you full control over fuel tuning, period. If you aren't familiar with the F10x it is a stand alone Fuel ONLY controller running it's own dedicated MAP sensor.
I am familiar with the Haltech..i just didn't have the funds to get one..lol i would have gone that route..but i plan to max out at 14 or so psi..(eventually) and have been told the FIC can handle about that much before you would need a stand alone unit..so if i can make it work for $300...why spend $1000+?
Old 01-19-09, 02:52 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fordsvtmfl
I am familiar with the Haltech..i just didn't have the funds to get one..lol i would have gone that route..but i plan to max out at 14 or so psi..(eventually) and have been told the FIC can handle about that much before you would need a stand alone unit..so if i can make it work for $300...why spend $1000+?
That's understandable, I want to run a full ems (vpro) but can't afford it either. Do you know the answer about the MAF question? I'm not trying to be a smart ***, I would like to know for myself.
Old 01-19-09, 03:02 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

i kinda understand your question...let me know if this answers it...ok you can adjust via tables the ignition timing (no advance), Fuel, MAF, O2 and 2 analog signals if you choose to add them. I think the "fuel" map will let you do what your talking about, it lets you increase the fuel obviously, but i dont know exactly how it does it..you do have to intercept all the injector wires..so i figure that's how..and you can make adjustments to the MAF but most ppl only clamp it and leave it alone. (and add 9-15% fuel across the board to compensate for the 3" intake pipe)
I know that was wordy and confusing..hope your answer is in there somewhere...i was reading a review of the FIC before i got it and they (some tuning mag) refereed to it as a watered down EMS...so maybe it does more than any of us think lol
Old 01-19-09, 04:54 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

I'll have to look into it further when I get a few minutes but so far it looks pretty good, one thing that I would be interested to find out is how exactly it controls fuel. For instance, it appears that it is going in series between each injector and the ecu as a voltage conditioner. I saw that it has a built in MAP sensor for pressure sensing which is good but is it capable of following an independent map based on the MAP sensor readings and/or possible input voltage from the ecu on the injector wires or is it still altering the MAF signal in order to control the amount of air the car sees, in turn leaning/richening it up.

The reason it is important to know which way it's operating is because timing is somewhat linked to the MAF readings the same as transmission control. If the signal from the MAF is being altered it has detrimental effects on both, timing and transmission life. If it was indeed capable of running independent of altering the MAF signal and solely triggered from injector signals/user input then it may be a nice unit between stand alone fuel and lesser piggybacks.

So what fuel are you running Ford? I asked that before and some other guy answered but I don't know if that is what you were running or what he was using.
Old 01-19-09, 05:12 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

has anyone else had smoke coming out the tail pipes? brand new turbonetics t-62...only driven about 60 miles..but i get this light white (i run mobil one and have been told it burns white) wispy smoke...any ideas? ive been told a seal on the turbo...but i really do't think a brand new turbo would do that...will this harm anything long term? (no cats fyi)
thanks
Make sure you answer my first post about fuel (just what setup your running) before moving onto this one, lol...

Well, a couple things here...did you prime the turbo before starting the car? Before you started the car for the first time you need to crank the car over for a few minutes with the fuel pump disconnected so that you build some oil pressure and get the turbo lubed up a little bit. If you don't do that you are running the turbo dry of oil for awhile as oil pressure builds and gets to the bearings. It would be the equivalent of starting your car and letting it run without oil in it for the turbo bearings.

Secondly, while it's fun to do, spinning the wheel of the turbo while it's off the car has a similar effect, while it is only spinning a fraction of the speed of what it does when driven by the exahust gas if you had it sitting in your room and sat there and spun it with your finger for an hour everyday over a year it could cause problems.

Another possible scenario, I'm not sure about that particular turbo, but are you running a restrictor on the oil feed line? It would look something like this:
Restrictor
And would go between the turbo feed line and the turbo oil inlet. If you AREN'T running one and that turbo requires one, then you will be constantly smoking as the turbo is "flooded" so to speak with oil.

One other thing, is the smoke coming directly out of the tailpipe? Most exhaust systems (not sure if you have a new exhaust or not) will have a "burn-in" period where they will smoke and smell kinda funny for the first 100 miles or so, especially on turbo cars that have very hot exhaust gases.

Is the smoke constant or just intermittent? I have had some turbo's on past installs (my Supra was one) that would smoke slightly under deceleration, for instance, when you stomped on it, once you let off the gas a little puff of smoke would come out. Generally this happens more so on larger turbos (I had a 72GTQ) but if your only getting it for a second on throttle off I wouldn't worry too much.
Old 01-19-09, 05:25 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

^^ most likely scenario seems like the unprimed turbo
Old 01-19-09, 05:53 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

hey...im running stock fuel system, and 93 octane gas always, and it smokes constant at idle...(But very light, and sometimes after ive run it, it wont be smoking..then ill go back out and it will be smoking again) so about this primed thing...the turbo came pretty lubed up and i didnt "prime" it (didnt know i was supposed 2) but there was oil in the turbo..and i had a small leak on the oil pressure line..and it only takes like 2 seconds for the oil to get to the turbo...so what does this mean as far as damage..a fix...long term...?
Thanks
Old 01-19-09, 05:55 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

and i did just get my exhaust done...its been maybe 100 miles..idk...i had my resonators taken out and a 3" y-pipe replacement, but ive had my axle back HKS for a few months
Old 01-19-09, 06:12 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

and i do have a restrictor/filter...its built into the turbo
Old 01-19-09, 06:51 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

your smoking problem is likely the new exhaust piping if in fact the turbo was well lubed. I've experienced the new exhaust smoke before and after re-reading your description of it, i'm leaning toward that. 100 miles really isnt enough to season the pipes, i'd say probably 250-300 miles maybe a bit more maybe a bit less, but surely more than 100.
Old 01-19-09, 06:59 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

so ive been reading on priming the turbo..and when i first started my car with the turbo..its such a big turbo for the engine...it wasn't even spinning at idle (i had the stock intake setup the turbo was just blowing into the engine bay..so no vacuum...so if i wasnt even spinning...i dont see how it could have really done any damage...but that was before i got my exhaust and i noticed smoking from the turbo itself...but maybe it was from the downpipe..idk (i just had the down pipe installed) but that could have been oil that was spilled on the exhaust side of the oil being burnt off...
Old 01-19-09, 10:06 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

...im running stock fuel system, and 93 octane gas always
First things first, you shouldn't even be driving the car with the turbo on it on stock fuel, I can't stress that enough.

The injectors on a Gs are TINY and barely support the car in stock form, literally. On top of that you are on a stock fuel pump which just adds to the problem. I'm not trying to scare you here but if you already drove the car and got on it a couple times (which I thought you mentioned earlier) you may have already done piston damage, worst case that could be the cause of your smoking but lets hope not. I had no idea you were on stock fuel, that is a HUGE no-no. The VERY NEXT THING YOU DO should be to order a Walbro 255 pump and 440cc injectors.

so ive been reading on priming the turbo..and when i first started my car with the turbo ..its such a big turbo for the engine...it wasn't even spinning at idle (i had the stock intake setup the turbo was just blowing into the engine bay..so no vacuum...so if i wasn't even spinning...i dont see how it could have really done any damage...
Did you get the turbo new? It should have come with a tag on it telling you to prime it for AT LEAST 30 seconds of full oil pressure to properly bathe the bearings. The oil that's in turbo's when they ship is more of an assembly lube than the type of oiling it gets from the car's pressure system, the actual bearings are dry for the most part.

I'm not sure if I'm following you on the next part, are you saying you had the turbo mounted to the manifold in the car but the had no intake pipe or pressure pipes on it? If so the compressor wheel wasn't spinning when you started the car?

Last edited by macd7919; 01-19-09 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-20-09, 04:55 AM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

it was new..and it came with a tag and instructions..neither of which said anything about priming...and it started smoking before i was even running boost..so nothing is wrong with my engine...we will have to agree to disagree about the fuel setup...it is pretty well known on this forum (both ppl here like jeff, and ppl on club Na-t including mark, who is in charge of the turbo kit for our cars if you just haven't heard of him) both have said (any ive read this from other sources as well) that our cars can handle 9psi max on the stock fuel system and the stock HG, and not to mention...if i did run out of fuel when boosting...my afr would have been super lean..like off the charts lean...and well..it wasn't..lol...just do some research about the fuel system...but if it was the priming thing...what did that do? why would not doing that make it smoke?
Thanks