GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Buying a 2nd gen GS, need some tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-09, 03:45 AM
Robahr24
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 2nd gen GS, need some tips

I have been looking at many used cars since I crashed my grand prix about a month ago. I think its between a 03 acura cl type 3 6 speed, a buick regal gs, and gs300 or 400. I already know that the regal is going to be way cheaper and for the money and mileage, it might be my best bet, but the lexus and cl are much nicer. The cl engines are just as realiable but not sure about everything else, while they are front wheel drive too and can be pretty fast. The lexus on the other hand are definitely the nicest, but for about a maximum of $8000 I want to spend, I can only get a nice gs with around 95-110k miles on it, most of them being 3.0, with very few being a 400 with the v8. How good are these motors and the cars themselves. Also they are rear wheel drive, how are they in the snow with good snow tires such as blizzaks. This is going to be my dd, so I want to get good gas mileage. I'm use to about 30-32 on the highway with my grand prix before I crashed it (front end damage, not very aerodynamic now). The Cl gets high 20's if not 30's if you baby it.

I'm looking for something that is very reliable and I won't have to put a lot of money into. I live in the Cleveland, OH area and opened up to any suggestions.

Last edited by Robahr24; 01-20-09 at 04:03 AM.
Old 01-20-09, 04:07 AM
SLAMDGS4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've got 180k miles on my 2GS and still running strong..gas mileage is around 20-22 mpg when i baby it..
Old 01-20-09, 05:56 AM
Robahr24
Driver School Candidate

At what mileage did you buy it and what have you replaced?
Old 01-20-09, 07:15 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nm, not selling anymore.

Last edited by kit cat; 02-04-09 at 04:14 PM. Reason: nm, not selling anymore.
Old 01-20-09, 07:18 AM
Sydwayz
Rookie

I just went through the EXACT same car swap/decision; same price points too.

I had a 2000 Grand Prix, lowered, wheels, chip, exhaust, CAI, etc. etc. I got bored of it and sold it; forced to drive my Ford dually every day.

I drove DOZENS of cars. This purchase was going to be my daily driver with a lot of time on I-95 and in Washington DC. TL, TL-S, ES300, Accord, Regal, Aurora, Riviera, Saab 9-3/9-5, 2-door 2WD Chevy Tahoe, CTS, Diamante, Millenia--were all on my list. I thought I had settled on the Millenia, and nearly bought a couple, but then I discovered the CTS. However, if you want a CTS for under $10K, prepare for it to be ROUGH; and, the Cadillac dealer is really the only trusted maintenance facility. A buddy of mine suggested the Lexus IS300, and I got in one, and it was way to small for me. But I realized I loved the RWD Lexus feel. I started looking at the GS300s, and fell in love.

I bought a 1999 GS300 with 113,000 miles, timing belt, water pump, brakes, ball joints done, HIDs added, LED tails, Pioneer NAV, amp, sub, K&N filter, and 17" GS400 wheels with new Michelins--all done. I LOVE this car. I did a lot of research here and on Edmunds and Consumer Reports, and the Lexus GS is somewhat of an under-publicized favorite. The only reason I would sell it would be to get a GS400/430.

You will not get 30mpg with the GS300, and the RWD is definately something you will have to learn to drive in the snow. I grew up with RWD cars in the lake effect snow area of NW Indiana and Chicago, so this was not a concern to me, and here in VA we do not get too much snow anyhow; plus I have a 4x4 dually for really bad days.
Old 01-20-09, 08:02 AM
kit cat

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
You will not get 30mpg with the GS300, and the RWD is definately something you will have to learn to drive in the snow. I grew up with RWD cars in the lake effect snow area of NW Indiana and Chicago, so this was not a concern to me, and here in VA we do not get too much snow anyhow; plus I have a 4x4 dually for really bad days.
My GS4 gets 30mpg on the highway.

As far as snow goes, if you have the proper tires you should be fine. Oh did I mention I am including a set of winter tires and summer tires?
Old 01-20-09, 08:12 AM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Driving RWD in the snow is quite easy if you are smart about it. Be very much careful with the throttle... Snow tires will help nicely. I'm driving mine on performance tires in the snow LOL when it snows I go the 2 miles to work and back and thats it lol. Couldnt justify spending all that money on another set of tires, especially when summer time comes it's going to be time for new wheels or new rubber..

The best I ever got on the highway with my GS430 was just over 26.1mpg while having my fun but mostly a long trip with the car already warmed up. For the most part I see 21-24mpg during the hot months and 17-19 during the cold months. If you are going to get one and don't plan on going turbo, get a gs400, if you are going to get one with the intentions of making it quick, the gs300 is a good starting point considering the 2jz engine. You really can't go wrong with either one but understand the gas mileage is relatively the same between the I6 and the V8.

I kind of like CLs and if you go that route, definately get the manual tranmissions as I believe the automatics are part of the affected group of Honda trannys that suck. As far is the buick is concerned, if you are looking for a cheaper low mileage car, cheaper insurance, I'm sure thats the route to go. But given the economy, there's no reason why 8K can't put you in a 98-00 GS or a CL for that matter. Good luck and be sure to let us know with pictures...if it's a GS that is.

There are several things to check when checking out a GS. There are several threads on this. One of the major issues with our cars is the wear and tear on the ball joints. If they break, you will lose a wheel from your car, skid, damage a 200 dollar wheel sensor and probably need your fender repainted. And thats if you dont hit anything or hurt yourself or others in the process. Definately worth checking on any GS in the mileage range you are looking for. 90K timing belt change, look for that as well since its an expensive service (1100 without waterpump at a Lexus dealer). Also, the navigation on 98-00 GS is run on a harddrive and not a DVD like most nav systems. That's something to keep in mind as alot of these harddrives are just under or over 10 years old now and aren't cheap to replace. Also, look for condensation in the headlights, design flaw causes this. I would search the threads for more information but those are the most common things to look out for. Good luck!
Old 01-20-09, 09:09 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
My GS4 gets 30mpg on the highway.
WTF i get 23 on the highway...properly inflated tires,cruise, and all. share your secrets
Old 01-20-09, 09:52 AM
kit cat

Originally Posted by sakataj
WTF i get 23 on the highway...properly inflated tires,cruise, and all. share your secrets
100% highway or city/highway? If I do city/highway, yeah, it'll be like 23mpg. but when I do 100% highway, set cruise control, i got like 30mpg.
Old 01-20-09, 11:28 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

100% highway or city/highway? If I do city/highway, yeah, it'll be like 23mpg. but when I do 100% highway, set cruise control, i got like 30mpg.
um no thats my highway....always been like that since i got it....
i average about 14-16 in the city and about 22-24 on the highway...
Old 01-20-09, 11:41 AM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

I had 87k on it and run like a champ....
Old 01-20-09, 11:47 AM
kit cat

You too can get 28mpg, here's how.
Old 01-20-09, 02:34 PM
Emontes7
Driver

buick regal???... are you serious..
Old 01-21-09, 11:19 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

wtf thats crazy. i do drive like a beast but have never gotten better than 22 i think on ALL highway in my 430....never gotten better than 15-17 in city

i dunno how u guys do it but they ONLY claim 21 on the highway, and i have only beaten that by ONE mpg
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/FEG/noframes/16786.shtml

Originally Posted by Emontes7
yeah thats what i was thinking

Last edited by sakataj; 01-21-09 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-21-09, 12:04 PM
Sydwayz
Rookie

Originally Posted by Emontes7
You guys have not been in a Buick Regal GS with the 3800 Supercharged motor, and Joseph Aboud level interior. Super fast, and incredibly sharp interior treatment. Had I not just sold a Grand Prix GT (same car really less the luxury touches), I'd have probably bought one.

Quick Reply: Buying a 2nd gen GS, need some tips