GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Navigation Update 8.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-09, 08:01 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Navigation Update 8.1

Is anyone running this update yet? I am curious if it only adds road and POI data or if the menus, colors, appearance, etc are updated or refreshed.

Thanks.

Edit: I too got the post card from Lexus.

Last edited by Debonair; 01-21-09 at 08:25 AM. Reason: I got the card :)
Old 01-21-09, 08:05 AM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just receive the post card from lexus regarding this update, but haven't check it out yet..they sell for $265. Maybe i need t contact my lexus dealership to find out..
Old 01-21-09, 08:11 AM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

i guess.. the one on the 2nd gen IS eliminated for the need to press the "I Agree" button... increased the POIs and also cleared up some mess in the recent changes of the roads..
Old 01-21-09, 08:15 AM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JoelGs
I've just receive the post card from lexus regarding this update, but haven't check it out yet..they sell for $265. Maybe i need t contact my lexus dealership to find out..
Yeah I got a card too. Have been running 2000 maps for too long LOL. Definately a priority on my upgrade list but like others also waiting for someone else to be a guinea pig. Do these updates change the layout of our screens at all or just give us new maps?
Old 01-21-09, 12:07 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Debonair
Is anyone running this update yet? I am curious if it only adds road and POI data or if the menus, colors, appearance, etc are updated or refreshed.

Thanks.

Edit: I too got the post card from Lexus.
within the next few weeks im gonna have the gen 4 with the 8.1.(since i decided im just gonna break down and buy the gen 4 update nav since my gen 2/3 seems kaput) im currently running the gen 2/3 7.1(which will be for sale soon) i bought as soon as i bought my car since it had the original disc from 2001 so i guess i can tell u comparisons then...BUT the whole gen 4 update will look odd to me as it is so i might not know what is new and what isnt
Old 01-21-09, 12:28 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do these updates work exactly? When I worked at the dealership if I tried anything other than the disc from (I think) 2003-2004 it would not work and come up with an error message.

Sorry for being a noob at this, but I too have been wanting an update and just didn't know how to get one for our antiquated (now) systems.

Thanks
Old 01-21-09, 12:36 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
How do these updates work exactly? When I worked at the dealership if I tried anything other than the disc from (I think) 2003-2004 it would not work and come up with an error message.

Sorry for being a noob at this, but I too have been wanting an update and just didn't know how to get one for our antiquated (now) systems.

Thanks
i think you just eject the old one and install the new one. It will then install itself. As long as someone does not do anything dumb like shut the car off during the load it should be fine. This is what I have read. This will be my first update too.
Old 01-21-09, 12:40 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

i think you just eject the old one and install the new one. It will then install itself. As long as someone does not do anything dumb like shut the car off during the load it should be fine. This is what I have read. This will be my first update too.
We had several customers with cars that were newer than mine (I think some of the discs were like 6.1 and 7.1) that always wanted to switch out to the newest, latest, and greatest disk when it came available and would gladly give me their old one. If I ever tried putting anything other than the disc I have now it came up with an error message and never worked. One of the techs said this is because the generations are different, and they offer updates within a generation. Therefore, if my car is a Gen3 Nav (which I think it is) then it can only accept the latest update for Gen3 navigation systems. Now that Lexus is onto gen 8 v1, this disk will not work on earlier models.

However, this is conflicting information with what I have heard from other places that say you can just go slip in an updated disk and you're good to go. Once again though, that was NOT the case with my car as the latest and greatest updates did not work.
Old 01-21-09, 01:01 PM
Debonair
iModerate

We had several customers with cars that were newer than mine (I think some of the discs were like 6.1 and 7.1) that always wanted to switch out to the newest, latest, and greatest disk when it came available and would gladly give me their old one. If I ever tried putting anything other than the disc I have now it came up with an error message and never worked. One of the techs said this is because the generations are different, and they offer updates within a generation. Therefore, if my car is a Gen3 Nav (which I think it is) then it can only accept the latest update for Gen3 navigation systems. Now that Lexus is onto gen 8 v1, this disk will not work on earlier models.

However, this is conflicting information with what I have heard from other places that say you can just go slip in an updated disk and you're good to go. Once again though, that was NOT the case with my car as the latest and greatest updates did not work.
8.1 is the Update. It is available for multiple generations of Toyota/Lexus Navigation. Ours is the Gen 2/3. Its also offered for the Gen 4 (Newer and/or Diff models) and so on.
Old 01-21-09, 01:03 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

8.1 is the Update. It is available for multiple generations of Toyota/Lexus Navigation. Ours is the Gen 2/3. Its also offered for the Gen 4 (Newer and/or Diff models) and so on.
I gotcha. So if I wanted to order one I would just tell them that I have a 2003 GS and need update 8.1? Or is it just one generic disk that works on all of them?

Thanks for the help man...really appreciate it
Old 01-21-09, 01:15 PM
Debonair
iModerate

I gotcha. So if I wanted to order one I would just tell them that I have a 2003 GS and need update 8.1? Or is it just one generic disk that works on all of them?

Thanks for the help man...really appreciate it
Different discs for each Generation. They will probably look it up with your VIN. Go get it and tell us how it is!
Old 01-21-09, 01:25 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Different discs for each Generation. They will probably look it up with your VIN. Go get it and tell us how it is!
Part Number for the 8.1 Update for our cars is:

PT219-GEN23-08

Old 01-21-09, 01:45 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

biggest thing is make sure the disc matches the gen of the nav unit u have....oh just so u guys know they make 2 updates a year (ouch) but its not worth getting them so i think Lexus only issues one a year, just do every few years....i got tired of driving around in neighborhoods that didn't exist according to my gps

its really simple i did it in nov of 2007.

put keys in and turn but dont start, go to trunk, slide open eject button cover, hit eject,pop in new nav disc and let it install itself (will take a sec)

simple

Part Number for the 8.1 Update for our cars is:
PT219-GEN23-08
i think thats ONLY for the gen 2/3 gs series, the gen 4 and gen 5 and etc will all use different ones.
since this is 2009 does ne1 know when they will issue the next updated disc?

heres a chart that tells you the gen'

http://www.sewellparts.net/Lexus_Nav...tion_Chart.pdf

Last edited by sakataj; 01-21-09 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-21-09, 03:56 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

I just got the postcard today too, I'm running 7.1, I am just waiting for someone to upgrade to 8.1 to see if there any 'major' changes in theme or anything.
Old 01-26-09, 11:45 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

mine is on the way...

Quick Reply: Navigation Update 8.1