GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Best/Cheapest battery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-09, 03:53 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best/Cheapest battery?

Where can I get the best battery for the cheapest price for the GS300? Battery finally took a poop, JUST after the 84 month warranty went out.
Old 01-24-09, 06:54 PM
SorrGwa
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

cheapest batteries, might want to look towards costco. they got an awesome return policy at least...
Old 01-24-09, 09:29 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Costco? 0.o

I've had good luck with Napa and DieHard though

Say NO TO AAA
Old 01-24-09, 09:59 PM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

yeah, costco is really good, i have one and it works great!
Old 01-24-09, 10:36 PM
Sydwayz
Rookie

The battery is one thing you don't want to skimp on. I just bought a Sears DieHard Gold yesterday for $105. I replace every battery when its time with a DieHard Gold.

Cheap/bad batteries lead to more issues should something fail. You don't ever want to jump a modern car, if at all possible; due to potential computer malfunction(s) on either car due to arc, bad cables, mismatched cable installation, or some other SNAFU. Also, when a battery goes bad, it often takes a starter or alternator with it, or both.

A great battery is money well spent.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 01-24-09 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-24-09, 10:45 PM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
The battery is one thing you don't want to skimp on. I just bought a Sears DieHard Gold yesterday for $105. I replace every battery when its time with a DieHard Gold.

Cheap/bad batteries lead to more issues should something fail. You don't ever want to jump a modern car, if at all possible; due to potential computer malfunction(s) on either car due to arc, bad cables, mismatched cable installation, or some other SNAFU. Also, when a battery goes bad, it often takes a starter or alternator with it, or both.

A great battery is money well spent.

uhhh... sounds like some BS a crooked mechanic would feed to you when he's trying to milk your wallet dry... but yeah, the Costco Batteries are excellent.
Old 01-25-09, 12:04 AM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Thanks, I think I'll go with a Die Hard, I have a hook up at Sears apparently lol.
Old 01-25-09, 05:23 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Please don't buy a cheap battery you'll be Sorry
Old 01-25-09, 10:04 AM
Sydwayz
Rookie

Originally Posted by djspawn00
uhhh... sounds like some BS a crooked mechanic would feed to you when he's trying to milk your wallet dry... but yeah, the Costco Batteries are excellent.
Thanks, but it's not. On previous cars, I have replaced 1, 2, and all 3 of those components due to one of them failing.
Old 01-25-09, 10:18 AM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As others have said, don't cheap out on a battery, you will be sorry you did when you are stranded somewhere. Although, not the best out there I stuck with the OEM Lexus battery.
Old 01-25-09, 10:27 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Kirkland (costco), Diehard, Duralast, Optima, Interstate (most Lexus are relabeled Interstate), etc are all under Johnson Control Co. They are more or less the same quality. The difference is the application. If you want something with more CCA, you may need to pay more for the extra performance. "Cheap" batteries gets a bad rep because there are people who buy them thinking all batteries will work the same in their -30F degree weather. More expensive batteries usually withstand extreme climates better. For those that do normal driving in normal weather, a cheaper battery will work just as fine. Buy a battery that suits your application and you'll be fine.

Most car electronics die from having too much power. A battery cannot provide more than 12.5v on most occasion, and our electronics runs at 14.4v just fine. This leads me to think that the charging system (voltage regulator perhaps) was acting funny.
Old 01-26-09, 07:21 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

optima yellow top.....
step into the dark side and join our yellow top cult....
Old 01-26-09, 07:31 AM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LEXUS_KID
Please don't buy a cheap battery you'll be Sorry
Like they all says ...You get what you've paid for....

Originally Posted by habeeb89
As others have said, don't cheap out on a battery, you will be sorry you did when you are stranded somewhere. Although, not the best out there I stuck with the OEM Lexus battery.
I rather stick to OEM myself..even though Costco is good...they have good return policy..OEM Rule!!
Old 01-26-09, 08:24 AM
sjlexus408
Driver

go to costco. i used to have the optima yellow it only lasted 3 months , but when i got the costco one it lasted me 2 years until my other car gave up on me.
Old 01-26-09, 08:40 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Optima batteries have been plague with problems for a while now. I remember a few years ago on a different forum, I got hammered for saying many Optimas have problems. A year later, the same people finally had problems and eventually hated Optima too. The yellow top seems to be more prone to issues than the red top. Either way, Optima did a great job of marketing the battery. The yellow tops aren't true deep cycle batteries. They'll handle a lower voltage better, but thats not saying much. At 10.5v, the Optima starts to deteriorate like any other battery. Many optimas were discharged to 0v-5v a few times and behold, it could not get back to normal state. There is always a bad batch of batteries out there, but Optima seems to be a hit and miss (though with more success than not).

Too bad I haven't seen the Kirkland Marine Deep Cycle battery at costco. I bought one there a few years ago and loved it much more than my previous Optima. No issues and it'll handle anything I throw at it!. Plus it was only $60!

Quick Reply: Best/Cheapest battery?