GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

replacing park/neutral switch, cats in the way????

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-09, 11:42 AM
jgoodtimes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing park/neutral switch, cats in the way????

Well i'm about to change my park/neutral switch, and finally got under the car and it is RIGHT NEXT to one of the cats. It was too hot at the moment to poke around, but it looks like there wont be enough clearance to work on this. Anyone have any advice/suggestions?

FYI, the CEL is showing the p1780 code, and the car currently will NOT shift out of park unless that little button on the shifter is pushed in. And with the CEL on, my car wont pass emissions, which means my plates are expired which means I can't drive my damn Lexus
Old 01-27-09, 12:26 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Wrong Forum???

About jgoodtimes

State

wi
Lexus Car
gs300
Year of your Lexus

Old 01-27-09, 07:26 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

LOL... Just check out the 1st gengs section, and post there.
Old 01-27-09, 09:45 PM
jgoodtimes
Driver School Candidate

I drive a 98 GS300, this should be the right forum???
Old 01-27-09, 09:46 PM
jgoodtimes
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Debonair
Wrong Forum???

About jgoodtimes

State

wi
Lexus Car
gs300
Year of your Lexus

Oops, don't know how that happened! I guess I better update that.....
Old 01-28-09, 12:21 AM
jgoodtimes
Driver School Candidate

Heres the car. I plan on dropping it with the NF210 springs, and either painting the roof black, or the lower portion gray or tan. Just gotta get these maintenance issues taken care of first

Old 01-28-09, 12:28 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Originally Posted by jgoodtimes
Heres the car. I plan on dropping it with the NF210 springs, and either painting the roof black, or the lower portion gray or tan. Just gotta get these maintenance issues taken care of first

Top black looks nice but is pretty common now - lower body panels grey/tan....not so much. I think it will make the car look older then it is but I could be wrong.
Old 01-28-09, 10:47 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Top black looks nice but is pretty common now - lower body panels grey/tan....not so much. I think it will make the car look older then it is but I could be wrong.
cant go wrong with the black roof on the white cars....as far as lower panels u could always ask seize to photoshop that for us and we can see what it would look like
Old 01-28-09, 11:45 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Originally Posted by jgoodtimes
Well i'm about to change my park/neutral switch, and finally got under the car and it is RIGHT NEXT to one of the cats. It was too hot at the moment to poke around, but it looks like there wont be enough clearance to work on this. Anyone have any advice/suggestions?

FYI, the CEL is showing the p1780 code, and the car currently will NOT shift out of park unless that little button on the shifter is pushed in. And with the CEL on, my car wont pass emissions, which means my plates are expired which means I can't drive my damn Lexus
I have not found specific information on the GS yet but I did see for the SC the instructions include removing the front exhaust. So that may also be the case with the GS.
Old 01-28-09, 12:22 PM
jgoodtimes
Driver School Candidate

I have not found specific information on the GS yet but I did see for the SC the instructions include removing the front exhaust. So that may also be the case with the GS.

Well I got the old one off, and it was a HUGE pain. Now my problem is getting the wire harness off. There is little to no slack, and of course it's towards the top of the tranny. I'm thinking about unbolting the tranny crossmember to gain a few precious inches up there. That should be all I need.

Anyone know if i unbolt the crossmember if the tranny will drop a bit? Of course i'll have a jack under it so it doesn't fall.....
Old 01-29-09, 09:55 AM
jgoodtimes
Driver School Candidate

Ok, the job is done. I would say total time was 3 1/2 hours. This is NOT a job for the faint of heart. Access is extremely limited, and you have to get pretty creative during removal/installation. Dropping the tranny crossmember probably gave me an extra inch of clearance which made the job barely doable. I would LOVE to hear what a dealership would charge to replace this part.

Part replacement did solve my problem, now my car passed emissions, the tags are current, and I can move on to the next maintenance job. Replacing sparkplugs and front rotors is on the list. Ive seen the DIY topics on both, and after this job, i'm ready for anything on this damn car
Old 01-29-09, 01:47 PM
xxxoDWGoxx
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ha ha, sounds like you had a hard time with it. im not looking forward to the job
Old 01-29-09, 04:36 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Which part failed? That black box around the shifter that senses what gear you're in?

Mine is freely acessible, then again I don't have a certain thing in the way

Side note for everyone else, if you drop the transmission brace keep a jack under it and don't allow the engine to move too far back. If you're not careful the engine will lean against the firewall and may cause dents or scratches. Then again, it's hard to see around that area so it's not really that big of a deal. But just giving you guys a FYI.
Old 01-30-09, 01:52 AM
jgoodtimes
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Which part failed? That black box around the shifter that senses what gear you're in?

Mine is freely acessible, then again I don't have a certain thing in the way

Side note for everyone else, if you drop the transmission brace keep a jack under it and don't allow the engine to move too far back. If you're not careful the engine will lean against the firewall and may cause dents or scratches. Then again, it's hard to see around that area so it's not really that big of a deal. But just giving you guys a FYI.
No, its a raw aluminum part underneath the car connected to where the shift linkage meets the transmission. Even without a cat there it's still a bit of work. I'll post a pic of the old part tomorrow.
Old 01-30-09, 01:55 AM
jgoodtimes
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xxxoDWGoxx
ha ha, sounds like you had a hard time with it. im not looking forward to the job
Not easy, but definatly doable. I had no special tools, but I sure did stretch the functions of some basic, common tools!

Quick Reply: replacing park/neutral switch, cats in the way????