GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Looking to purchase a 04/05 GS430 (Advice)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-09, 09:35 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Looking to purchase a 04/05 GS430 (Advice)*update*

Hello All,
This weekend I am going to look at 3 cars..

http://silver-auto-sales.ebizautos.c...px?iid=3735696

This one seems to be the cleanest. It has an exellent carfax, and the local lexus dealership says it is up to service (although they want a 60k which changes the diff, tranny, plugs and various filters and oil.)

http://www.grossingerhyundai.com/veh...BL69S650015941

This unit seems too good to be true. It does have a retrofit reverse camera that is not functioning and a little led in the (cave) of the speedomiter. The salesman said it maid a bunch of beeps when he started the car. I am thinking its an alarm of some sort.. againg retrofit.. I am leary of this one for some reason.

lastly.
http://www.prestigechicago.com/ and look for the gs430
This one seems to be the best deal but highest mileage. Still seems all original and has a clean carfax.

What are the differences betweent the 2002 and the 2004/5
I know the perferated leather seats and wood grain stearing wheel..
What is the major difference between the gen2 to the gen3 GPS?

Which one do you all feel is the best bang for the dollar.
I am not lookng for a garage queen either I am going to drive this car, so considering that I may not need a mint example...

Looking to purchase a 04/05 GS430.

Are there any differences between the two model years?

I am looking at one with navigation, does this require the $200 DVD to update very year ( I think it will be gen 3)

Anything I should look out for?

Thanks for your help ahead of time..
-Jake

Last edited by GSJake; 01-29-09 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-28-09, 10:55 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

just like i said over there....
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=54849

welcome to the dark side over here. lotta good info and helpful people over here
Old 01-29-09, 10:23 AM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj
just like i said over there....
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=54849

welcome to the dark side over here. lotta good info and helpful people over here
don't scare our new friend Brian...lol.....need any help Brian will assist you....
Old 01-29-09, 11:59 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I believe the 05 has perforated leather seats.
Old 01-29-09, 12:20 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I believe the 05 has perforated leather seats.
i think but im not sure all the SD (sport design for our new friend) have them also

Originally Posted by JoelGs
don't scare our new friend Brian...lol.....need any help Brian will assist you....
u know i am always happy to help people joel just meant by my dark side comment i didnt really get interested in mods and stuff till i moved to THIS site
Old 01-29-09, 04:18 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

nav update is optional, you dont have to upgrade each year
Old 01-29-09, 07:46 PM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Exclamation Looking to purchase a 04/05 GS430 (Advice)*update*

Hello All,
This weekend I am going to look at 3 cars..

http://silver-auto-sales.ebizautos.c...px?iid=3735696

This one seems to be the cleanest. It has an excellent carfax, and the local Lexus dealership says it is up to service (although they want a 60k which changes the diff, tranny, plugs and various filters and oil.)

http://www.grossingerhyundai.com/veh...BL69S650015941

This unit seems too good to be true. It does have a retrofit reverse camera that is not functioning and a little led in the (cave) of the speedometer. The salesman said it maid a bunch of beeps when he started the car. I am thinking its an alarm of some sort.. again retrofit.. I am leary of this one for some reason.

lastly.
http://www.prestigechicago.com/ and look for the gs430
This one seems to be the best deal but highest mileage. Still seems all original and has a clean carfax.

What are the differences between the 2002 and the 2004/5
I know the perforated leather seats and wood grain steering wheel..
What is the major difference between the gen2 to the gen3 GPS?

Which one do you all feel is the best bang for the dollar.
I am not looking for a garage queen either I am going to drive this car, so considering that I may not need a mint example...
Old 01-30-09, 02:47 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think your best bet when it comes to Navi, is to get an aftermarket unit anyways.
Old 01-30-09, 08:20 AM
GoSideways
Driver School Candidate

You are looking at the ones I was thinking of buying too. Let me know how the one at Silver Auto is. That one was my first choice. I really didnt want one with a spoiler. Did you see the one at this place? You should check it out and let me know how they are. I live in NE and have been trying to get someone to go look at the cars for me.

http://www.ecarlist.com/web/1468/veh...%20NAVIGATION-
Old 01-30-09, 11:46 AM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GoSideways
You are looking at the ones I was thinking of buying too. Let me know how the one at Silver Auto is. That one was my first choice. I really didnt want one with a spoiler. Did you see the one at this place? You should check it out and let me know how they are. I live in NE and have been trying to get someone to go look at the cars for me.

If anyone goes to look at this one, inspect the right hand side underneath. I notice the exhaust tip is bent. But my god that black looks so beautiful!
Old 01-30-09, 01:43 PM
ChitwnGS
Driver School Candidate

I was in your spot just last week. I might be able to help you with a few of these cars I live in Arlington Heights and just purchased a used 03' GS430 last weekend. I went private party and flew to St Louis to get mine. I did however stop at Prestige and test drive there car. It's not a Gem, not even close! I saw the car the day after it came in and had a chance to see the original condition. The rear bumper has been hit, two holes from License plate bolts in bumper skin as well as a crease on the passenger side. Both rear quarter panels had multiple small dents. Right rear door had two small dents and right front Bumper had large scrape and broken turn signal lense (maybe 3-4 inches wide and 6" long. Most likely from mis judging turning radius. The engine had stong smell of antifreeze and valve noise. Lots of chatter that my GS doens't have. It wasn't taken care of well. They were having someone stop in and PDR the dents and clean up or airbrush some of the paint the next day. Good Luck with this one.

The Car at Grossinger isn't bad but also scared me. They have sat on this car for some time. With that being said they weren't that flexible in the price either. Car fax did check out but I learned one thing from the GM of a local Ford dealer. IL is not required to report accidents. So no official record is kept regarding issues in IL. They have tried to fight this in Springfield with no luck. I still like carfax and used it, but becareful and still look closely.

Good Luck with the purchase..... I'm happy with mine!
Old 01-30-09, 02:05 PM
GoSideways
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the update. I thought that car was too cheap for that many miles. The carfax on it was clean. You wouldnt happen to test drive the one at Silver Auto?
Old 01-30-09, 02:34 PM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSideways

I checked this one out... its beat to *****. Really sad though as these cars are becoming rare and this one had low low miles. I believe it was abused, as when I opened the console it had gang graffiti written all over with pen..? Anyway the rear quarter panel had a sizable scrape.. nothing you could get out with paint less dent removal.. all in all a sad story.

Old 01-30-09, 02:36 PM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ChitwnGS
I was in your spot just last week. I might be able to help you with a few of these cars I live in Arlington Heights and just purchased a used 03' GS430 last weekend. I went private party and flew to St Louis to get mine. I did however stop at Prestige and test drive there car. It's not a Gem, not even close! I saw the car the day after it came in and had a chance to see the original condition. The rear bumper has been hit, two holes from License plate bolts in bumper skin as well as a crease on the passenger side. Both rear quarter panels had multiple small dents. Right rear door had two small dents and right front Bumper had large scrape and broken turn signal lense (maybe 3-4 inches wide and 6" long. Most likely from mis judging turning radius. The engine had stong smell of antifreeze and valve noise. Lots of chatter that my GS doens't have. It wasn't taken care of well. They were having someone stop in and PDR the dents and clean up or airbrush some of the paint the next day. Good Luck with this one.

The Car at Grossinger isn't bad but also scared me. They have sat on this car for some time. With that being said they weren't that flexible in the price either. Car fax did check out but I learned one thing from the GM of a local Ford dealer. IL is not required to report accidents. So no official record is kept regarding issues in IL. They have tried to fight this in Springfield with no luck. I still like carfax and used it, but becareful and still look closely.

Good Luck with the purchase..... I'm happy with mine!
What color.. how many miles.. how much $, if you dont mind me asking?
Old 01-30-09, 02:44 PM
ChitwnGS
Driver School Candidate

Sorry I didn't test drive it. I made them an offer and was turned down. I did some homework and found one on craigslist. The reason I went private party is In IL you pay sales tax based on where the car is being titled. So for me in Cook County I Would pay 8.25% on the selling price( or something like that). When buying a private party car with a bill of sale that shows less than $15,000 you pay based on the year. A 2003 is $90, 04 is $115, 05 is $165 and so on. I had no trade and no reasone to want to spend the extra $1,300 in tax. Not sure if that's the story in WI.

One more thing on Craiglslist. It's a pain in the *** to look in any market then back out and click on another marekt then look up the item. It's takes way to long. But If you Yahoo Search "Craigslist helper" it will pull up a link that lets you put in what you are looking for and the distance from any zip code. It's a great way to find a deal. The car I bought was a one owner extremely clean car that was never really properly advertised. Unless you live in St Louis and looked in the local news paper or craigslist, you would never know the car exsisted. Just some food for thought.

Quick Reply: Looking to purchase a 04/05 GS430 (Advice)