GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

98 GS400 Fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-09, 12:41 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike813
read up about the foglights, they are notorius to get stolen, while ur at it checking the bulbs maybe you can replace the philips screws with hex screws to prevent them from being easily stolen.
dunno y they steal these, but they do

Originally Posted by MadTyte
so wat if im new?? i have been in alot of forums so i know how it is. and if he been here so long, he should know not to post stupid threads if he didnt check out the first possible thing that might be wrong with it. instead, he decided to make a thread about it and said hes LAZY to check. so any advice givin, he might be LAZY to do that also.
well if u been on alot of forums u should know its just kinda rude....dont forget we r supposed to be all here for each other...
Old 01-30-09, 02:02 PM
MadTyte
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
dunno y they steal these, but they do

well if u been on alot of forums u should know its just kinda rude....dont forget we r supposed to be all here for each other...
i know its rude and i usually dont post stuff like this but i just think its plain stupid to not check out the bulbs and then make a thread bout his lights not working cause he is lazy to check them.
Old 01-30-09, 02:18 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Its not stupid to make a thread like this....and i am not lazy FYI, I was just trying to figure out if there is another know issue with these fogs besides the bulbs going out...as i have checked the fuses...You know it just doesn't make sense for both bulbs to go out at the same time...Once again keep your rude comments to yourself.

Also if you have been to so many forums then you should know not to post rude or smart comments.
Old 01-30-09, 05:12 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Alright everyone take a time out before this thread gets closed.

Lexus Fogs are notorious for getting stolen its is for the "spyder" body kits from ebay which are a copy of the Black widow kits for Hondas they fit perfectly into the outer holes. I used to own an accord and was a part of v6p forums so most of the people who went with that kit had Lexus Gs fogs.
Old 01-31-09, 01:49 AM
/209JOHN\
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Salil022
Guys...I've just bought a 98 GS400 as a daily driver...and noticed that Fog lights are not working...When i turn the switch on...I hear clicking noise from fuse box and checked the fuse...it seems fine...Just been lazy to check the bulbs
let's get back to the subject...

I had the same problem, I heard that strange click or flickering noise too. Everytime I turned on my foglights. I replaced the bulbs and only one side works. I go outside and tap the one that's not working then it turns on...lol

Also, could that clicking noise mean it's a bad switch?
Old 02-02-09, 08:19 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

[QUOTE=VIP-209;4211550]let's get back to the subject...

I had the same problem, I heard that strange click or flickering noise too. Everytime I turned on my foglights. I replaced the bulbs and only one side works. I go outside and tap the one that's not working then it turns on...lolQUOTE]

mine dont "click" per say but i have a odd one with my fogs... i have HID's in them and sometimes when i start the car ONLY one side comes on. normally its the drivers side and if i turn them off and turn them back on they will 99.0% ALWAYS come on both sides...i figured it was a loose bulb but i got under car the other day and tried tightening everything and up and checking for ne loose wires but i found none...its odd and annoying. i bought a new set of bulbs when i noticed it the first time...now im wondering if i have bad ballasts....? wonder what the likely hood of both starting to short (well drivers side only doesnt light once in a blue moon) an i cannot recall EVER were they both are out. car starts up either with one on or both on
Old 02-04-09, 12:15 AM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

speaking of which. i havent checked if getting to the lights to replace is hard. i gotta replace a high beam but am new to the GS scene so hehe =P
Old 02-04-09, 12:24 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
mine dont "click" per say but i have a odd one with my fogs... i have HID's in them and sometimes when i start the car ONLY one side comes on. normally its the drivers side and if i turn them off and turn them back on they will 99.0% ALWAYS come on both sides...i figured it was a loose bulb but i got under car the other day and tried tightening everything and up and checking for ne loose wires but i found none...its odd and annoying. i bought a new set of bulbs when i noticed it the first time...now im wondering if i have bad ballasts....? wonder what the likely hood of both starting to short (well drivers side only doesnt light once in a blue moon) an i cannot recall EVER were they both are out. car starts up either with one on or both on
How are your fogs wired? Are they directly off the battery with a relay or using the stock fog plugs? I believe the issue with only one turning on can sometimes be caused by insufficient power to fire both ballasts. Do you usually leave them on with the auto setting on the headlights so this happens as the car is starting as well as the lights turning on? If so, try leaving the fogs off when you start the car and turning them on manually and see if it still happens.
Old 02-04-09, 07:07 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
How are your fogs wired? Are they directly off the battery with a relay or using the stock fog plugs? I believe the issue with only one turning on can sometimes be caused by insufficient power to fire both ballasts. Do you usually leave them on with the auto setting on the headlights so this happens as the car is starting as well as the lights turning on? If so, try leaving the fogs off when you start the car and turning them on manually and see if it still happens.
they are wired JUST using the factory stock plugs. these are true plug and play HID kits.....yes i normally leave them on with the auto settings on the headlights so this happens as the car is starting as well as the lights turning on....
i will try turning them off and then turning them on but i was being lazy about it....that way i can get in, u know night or day, and not have to worry bout turning on the headlights or taillights... i hate when other people drive my car....(yes every now and then i let someone) and they turn off all my lights. im like crap man they got auto lights

neway to get sufficient power to the ballast kyle so i can just leave them in auto mode?
Old 02-04-09, 11:00 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've got a mobilehid kit that takes power directly from the battery with a relay and I've never had any problems. I think you can get a wiring harness from Cliff for about $20 on the CL specials page, it might be worth checking with him to make sure it'd be compatible with the ballasts you've got, but I think most of them use the same plugs.

I agree with you on the auto lights, you get spoiled after a while. I'm used to not having to think about turning the lights on or off.
Old 02-04-09, 11:28 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
I've got a mobilehid kit that takes power directly from the battery with a relay and I've never had any problems. I think you can get a wiring harness from Cliff for about $20 on the CL specials page, it might be worth checking with him to make sure it'd be compatible with the ballasts you've got, but I think most of them use the same plugs.

I agree with you on the auto lights, you get spoiled after a while. I'm used to not having to think about turning the lights on or off.
hmmm pics kyle? let me go check the cl page and see if i can find cliff

yeah i am spoiled by them.
Old 02-08-09, 05:55 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Interesting... so it only happens if you have HID Fog iights correct? I just changed mines to the Ultra Silverstar 4100k halogens, brightly yellow. They come on fine.
Old 02-09-09, 12:21 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

i guess so....i dunno if ne1 else has this problem....maybes its just me
Old 02-09-09, 03:46 PM
DreamerGS
Driver School Candidate

Are you running 2 sets of HID in your ride? If so, then it's probably lack of sufficient power to 4 HID ballast. You might want to get a HID harness for the foglights then. It's funny that on the 98 GS you can just plug and play HIDs to headlights and foglights and they'll work but on the 02 GS3 you can't just plug and play, I tried to run HIDs for head & foglights but fogs won't turn on. Some say get a harness and some say, just reverse the plug and it'll work (No thank you to this way because i won't want to fry any electrical in my GS)
Old 02-09-09, 03:51 PM
DreamerGS
Driver School Candidate

VIP-209- I have/had the same problem that you're having. Both foglights won't turn on but if i tap on it then it turns out. So I took off my foglights and unplugged the bulb and found out that part of my connector was burnt/melted and that the metal pins on the 9006 bulb were corroded/rusted. So what i did was got a little file and sanded the rust off and plugged it back it and it's working now. I will be getting a Harness though for the fog when I install HIDs for the fog.

Quick Reply: 98 GS400 Fog lights