GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

OEM Navigation replacement. Help Please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-09, 11:12 AM
GSshannon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Navigation replacement. Help Please!!!

I just purchased a 98 GS400 w/ factory navigation. The system is pretty outdated, so I would like to replace it with an aftermarket navigation systerm. I noticed though that the control buttons are integrated into the dash, and it isn't 100% touch screen. The "destination" button, is, for instance, an actual button, outside of the screen. I plan on having the new unit professionally installed, it's not something I can do myself, I just want to know if it can be done. I don't want to shell out $2k to Lexus for an OEM system that is still outdated.

I tried to search the subject before posting and couldn't find anything...

Has anyone tried this? If so, what will I need to buy other than my new navigation unit?

Thanks! I appreciate any help I can get.
Attached Thumbnails OEM Navigation replacement. Help Please!!!-gs400dash.jpg  
Old 01-28-09, 02:29 PM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

From what i've been told form lexus dealership, our second gen updates to 2005 only... best thing to do is go aftermarket or purchase the 05 update, just an opinion. i purchased it for 250,FYI its a hard drive not a disk... GOOD LUCK
Old 01-28-09, 04:00 PM
Jiggaman54
Rookie

i have the same issue as you... i found a way to switch over from a hard drive to a CD, but you will have to shell out the money for the lexus CD nav computer. i haven't look at it in a while but i'll gather the info and let you know.
Old 01-28-09, 04:40 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to install a headunit with Nav then yeah u should be able to do that, just get the AC controls unit.
Old 01-28-09, 06:56 PM
blackANESE
Pole Position

I'm in the same boat as you. I despise looking at the factory nav. it looks archaic in my GS400. If the maps were a little more contemporary I could handle it.

I have found a few threads with info but they are all pretty vague as to what needs to be done and all second hand accounts (i.e. my homie has it done in his GS so it's possible type *****).

I know you need the non-nav climate control and obviously an aftermarket install kit. As far as the wiring/compatibility of the factory system is what I have no clue about.
Old 01-28-09, 07:34 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

The AC controls is plug and play. The radio, well you either have to have a built in amp on the aftermaret headunit or get an amp.
Old 01-29-09, 11:34 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by i6LeXo300
From what i've been told form lexus dealership, our second gen updates to 2005 only... best thing to do is go aftermarket or purchase the 05 update, just an opinion. i purchased it for 250,FYI its a hard drive not a disk... GOOD LUCK
they stopped at 2004 fyi
Old 01-29-09, 12:40 PM
GSshannon
Driver School Candidate

Okay, so... I've spent the past 24 waking hours researching this, and found out it CAN be done, and it's not too hard either. I'll try to be as detailed as I can (for a girl, lol ) and post up the links I found...

So, here's the scoop, you have to buy the temp controls for the non-nav unit. You can find a used oem on ebay like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-05...Q5fAccessories

The A/C is plug and play, so I think it will be pretty straight forward.

Next, you have to buy a double din faceplate that is specific to the GS you have. For instance, I need the 98-00 one since I have a 98 GS400.
Here's the link:
http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=1726

Then you take all this "stuff" to your local installer, or if you're brave and know what you're doing, do it yourself.

As a bonus, you can sell your old OEM nav here on the classifieds and probably get a pretty penny for it if it's in working condition. I've seen them sell on ebay for upwards of $800-900, which will probably pay for the aftermarket navi I want to get.

Also, I don't know if anyone is interested, but I HATE my stock steering wheel, I absolutely despise it!!! SO, I found this link:

http://www.american-stitches.com/index.htm

They will replace the leather on the top and bottom of your steering wheel with real wood to match your factory wood, they can re-cover the leather on the sides too if you want. They do great work and get your wheel back to you in about a week. It's much classier than getting a plastic clip on burlwood steering wheel cover IMO.

You can even pick up a steering wheel from a junk yard and use it in the mean time, if you can't go without yours for the week it takes them to complete the work. Just something I though of since my GS is my daily driver.

Good luck all!

Last edited by GSshannon; 01-29-09 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Spelling ;)
Old 01-29-09, 02:34 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Looks like you've been doing your homework..
Old 01-29-09, 04:03 PM
denvergs4
Driver

I'm Really not sure if thats all thats involved. I currently have everything apart and frankly from the wire diagrams I dont see how its just plug and play for the AC control unit. I have spoke to several installers and they all say the same thing.

I have been looking to do this for some time now so if anyone that has done this can chime in I think a lot of people would like to see or heir of a completed project.

Right now Im in the process of doing Banana's wirring - im sure if it was that easy he would have done the aftermarket NAV and not what he did - just my 2 cents.

http://bananags.grantham-internation...GS_DIY/STEREO/
Old 01-29-09, 05:44 PM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

u can always go aftermart and just get a climate control unit from a non navi GS. you can even check ebay for them they run about $150
Old 01-29-09, 06:04 PM
xxxoDWGoxx
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done it already...

I got my non nav ac control from a salvage yard for $20.00 and it is plug and play as far as the AC controls go, I didnt buy a wiring harness though and hardwired the radio and cut up the stock wiring. The double din radio kit I got from Carson Toyota, I think it was around $60 shipped, and matches perfectly. I can post pictures up if anyone is interested.

The back up camera is just a cheap $23 from EBAY and I flush mounted it in the bumper and looks really good and shows up really well as well.
Old 01-29-09, 06:57 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Like mentioned above, many have done the non nav swap already. I can only speak for the 01-05 as those are the years I've seen as well as I did the conversion on my 03 myself. The two white climate control connector that plug into the back of the nav unit screen fit directly into the non nav climate control and everything works perfect. If the member above has a 98-00, then that should confirm it is a plug and play for all years.

Radio is a different story though, but just do like everyone else and go aftermarket.
Old 01-29-09, 07:10 PM
denvergs4
Driver

Originally Posted by xxxoDWGoxx
I have done it already...

I got my non nav ac control from a salvage yard for $20.00 and it is plug and play as far as the AC controls go, I didnt buy a wiring harness though and hardwired the radio and cut up the stock wiring. The double din radio kit I got from Carson Toyota, I think it was around $60 shipped, and matches perfectly. I can post pictures up if anyone is interested.

The back up camera is just a cheap $23 from EBAY and I flush mounted it in the bumper and looks really good and shows up really well as well.
What year is your Lexus? Mine is a 99 - May be possible for a 01 + but I dont think it works for 98-00. Let me know....
Old 01-29-09, 07:18 PM
xxxoDWGoxx
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine is an 02..the non nav ac control was from a 99

Quick Reply: OEM Navigation replacement. Help Please!!!