GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Car dies/Starts/low/rough idle/no acceleration?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-09, 02:36 PM
Oleg400
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDesertGS
Just gonna throw this out there......but how about bad Catalytic converters??? My friend had bad cats on his S/C Tacoma and it did some similar things that you described. And when I say bad....I mean broken/clogged. Hit them with your hand when they are cool and see if you can hear some things moving and shaking in there.

I think that might be contributing to the problem because i did get CEL codes on something with the catalytic converters, i asked a shop that worked on my car b4 and they said its nothing to worry about unless i need to get my emissions test and they just deleted the code, but on hot days and hard driving i would get the same code. Something i will look into when i have more green, i heard that replacing them is quite expensive.
Old 02-02-09, 02:40 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Oleg400
I think that might be contributing to the problem because i did get CEL codes on something with the catalytic converters, i asked a shop that worked on my car b4 and they said its nothing to worry about unless i need to get my emissions test and they just deleted the code, but on hot days and hard driving i would get the same code. Something i will look into when i have more green, i heard that replacing them is quite expensive.

Ahhhhh....we might be getting somewhere....lol

If that is the problem....don't replace them with factory/Lexus cats. You can get some universal Magnaflow cats from Summitracing or where ever else you can find them for like $60 bucks a piece....then have them welded in.
Old 02-02-09, 04:48 PM
Oleg400
Advanced

Ahhhhh....we might be getting somewhere....lol

If that is the problem....don't replace them with factory/Lexus cats. You can get some universal Magnaflow cats from Summitracing or where ever else you can find them for like $60 bucks a piece....then have them welded in.
Yes LOL gota <3 CL its like 20 Q/A gets you the rights answer eventualy , ignore what i wrote about the TC in my previous post , It is the Cats because a) there is the clunking noise when i hit them. b) the noise that would pop/clunk when i accelerated and would let off was the thing inside the cat jumping up and down. d) the slow acceleration was the back pressure that was building up and not opening the exhaust valves on time( im guessing?

Well im going to try and get new cats then, but since i paid $80 for new plugs should i install them anyway, i took out the old ones today which was PITA!!! But how can you tell when they are going bad? I will post up a pic of them to maybe show you guys and you can give me an opnion if i should replace or just keep? Im just asking because i could just replace them as a precaution, its just that the ones that i took out are Denso Iridioum plugs and since iridioum plugs are supposed to lastttt y replace them.

Last edited by Oleg400; 02-02-09 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-02-09, 05:01 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Just gonna throw this out there......but how about bad Catalytic converters??? My friend had bad cats on his S/C Tacoma and it did some similar things that you described. And when I say bad....I mean broken/clogged. Hit them with your hand when they are cool and see if you can hear some things moving and shaking in there.
I agree with this clunking noise because that should be your restriction causing you to bog down. You hit the cats and they sound like chunks of something inside them. You hit the gas the pieces go flat and restrict the exaust flow. This happens usually when you run the car rich and or don't maintain the car. Thats why the check engine light is there to prevent cat damage. As for the radio going out and other power issues that sounds like a good case of a alternator issue. Check the ground wires cause you live up north as there is a good chance of rust/corrosion. Not charging the battery and running your accessories so the computer cuts the power sources. Do a alternator test and if it fails replace it. If it has never been replaced ever i would do so if over 130,000 miles. It could be a small problem that is hinting to you that it is going to straight out die soon.
Old 02-02-09, 05:13 PM
Oleg400
Advanced

SHOLEXMAN;I agree with this clunking noise because that should be your restriction causing you to bog down. You hit the cats and they sound like chunks of something inside them. You hit the gas the pieces go flat and restrict the exaust flow. This happens usually when you run the car rich and or don't maintain the car. Thats why the check engine light is there to prevent cat damage.
Yep i agree its just that when i serviced my car at a local shop i would always ask about the CEL and why it would keep turning on and off when it was hot and i drove it hard, the idiot would just say here let me delete it and just dont worry about it till u have to get you emissions test done.

BTW thanks to everyone that posted up a response you got your post count and helped a fellow CLer
Old 03-24-09, 07:06 PM
Oleg400
Advanced

A little update, installed new cats today, the slow acceleration and the car bogging down is gone, the plugs were fine no need for replacement. But i still have the p0171 CEL popping up. The Maf sensor could just be bad, might as well replace it and hope I am in the clear.
Old 03-24-09, 07:32 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

I accept paypal.......

Glad you got it resolved
Old 03-24-09, 09:15 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

have the CEL scanned?
Old 03-27-09, 01:06 PM
AsGs300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Throw some Holly water on it'!
Old 03-27-09, 02:19 PM
Oleg400
Advanced

Originally Posted by vwynn
have the CEL scanned?
Yep, its p0171 I am guessing its the MAF sensor because on the list of items that might cause the CEL to come on MAF is at the top of the list. Will order one this week and see how the end result will be.

Originally Posted by AsGs300
Throw some Holly water on it'!
Tried that but epic fail.
Old 04-13-09, 07:57 PM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What model # Magnaflow cats should I reaplace the stock cats with ?
Old 04-13-09, 10:39 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Oleg400
Quick update.
-low/rough idle fixed for now= Cleaning maf/Throttle body about 30 min job.
-acceleration about 45% better but from 1.5krpm-2krpm car accelrates then bogs at 2.5k rpm then it accelerates again till about 3k rpm then a quick bog then after that the acceleration is smooth but when car was 100% working it was a beast at around 3krpm all the way to 6k.Now it just seems like a gs300 which is bleehhh in speed.
-im getting ready to change the sparks and see what will change.

Now i just have a couple of quick questions.
When the shifter is in park the car idles around 7.5-800 rpm, switch it to nuetral it goes to 1k rpm, then to D it goes to 500rpm and same for reverse. Now is that an ok Range??

while i did a quick drive i started to hear a poping noise right under me. When i would accelerate slightly then let of quickly i would hear a very clear/crisp kind of POP or Clunk could that be the TC locking and unlocking, it happens around 1.5-2k rpm, its pretty loud. Anyone have a clue what that might be?
If its the TC then i have an excuse to get the PI TC 2.8k

any info would be greatly appreciated,still have a bunch of things to check out and see if the slow acceleration will go away.
If the car pops, that sounds like a restricted exhaust. Your cat could be clogged. Is there evidence of small black smoke when you are revving the car? Or are your tips blacked out or the bumper has a sign of black? If yes, your cat is deteriorating.
Old 04-13-09, 11:00 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

if your cats are dying.. whats a good way to solve that problem?? Magnaflow high flow cats?

Last edited by vwynn; 04-13-09 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-13-09, 11:09 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

search my thread of starting issues .. alot of good info in there
Old 04-28-09, 06:38 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Soo, what's the update. What cats did you go with, stock or afermarket? I have everything you got and probably going the same route. I have a buddy that abuses his GS430 l-tune jeust as hard, he is getting the same symptoms now as we are. I have come to the conclusion that these cars were not meant to be driven like this. I will fix this whip use it as a daily, and then its time for an M5 upgrade.

Quick Reply: Car dies/Starts/low/rough idle/no acceleration?!?!