GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Car dies/Starts/low/rough idle/no acceleration?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-09, 07:28 PM
Oleg400
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Exclamation Car dies/Starts/low/rough idle/no acceleration?!?!

I have searched low/rough idle but every other post says Engine mounts but that cant be in my case.
Long story short it goes like this. Im in the car for about 20-30 min Nav-on Head lights-on Music-on, next music goes silent everything else is fine i thought my cd player skipped but then the navi start going hai wire and going diffrent colors and scrambling, then everything dies so then i figure the battery died car wasnt turned on. So i try to start get a weazzing noise and a wanabe start sound but nothing. I go away for about 20 min come back with jumper cables, try to start again and it starts without the use of the jumper cables, but then the RPM's start jumping from about 400-100 and up and down etc... My car Idles around 700 Rpms on a daily basis. I let it sit for about 1/2hr and car feels like its not getting enough air. I drive and try to accelerate but i get nothing the rpms rise but the car is just trying to accelerate and then at 4k Rpms it kicks in like a MAD horse the rear goes out and VSC starts going crazy i got scared, i let off and try again same thing all day.
I reset the ECU 2 times today and Nothing.

If anyone could plz guide me to a link or throw some knowladge my way I would greatly greatly appreciate it! ( i have read alot of recent threads on loss of power at certain RPM speeds but i dint feel like some of the solutions could help me in this case. Sincemy MAF is not even 1 year old.

Last edited by Oleg400; 02-01-09 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-31-09, 07:39 PM
Oleg400
Advanced

Its a 99 gs400, im going 2mrw to buy new spark plugs maybe that will cure the acceleration, but if that were the case wouldnt it hesitate at around 4-5k Rpms to accelerate, or is the juice flowing so hard that it can only go not sit?
Old 01-31-09, 08:51 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Take a look at the battery.
Check for loose terminal clamps or corrosion...
With a volt meter at the battery terminals, check 12+ volts with the motor off and 14 volts with the motor running.

Let us know what you have...
Old 01-31-09, 10:02 PM
erayd8
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Oleg400
I have searched low/rough idle but every other post says Engine mounts but that cant be in my case.
Long story short it goes like this. Im in the car for about 20-30 min Nav-on Head lights-on Music-on, next music goes silent everything else is fine i thought my cd player skipped but then the navi start going hai wire and going diffrent colors and scrambling, then everything dies so then i figure the battery died car wasnt turned on. So i try to start get a weazzing noise and a wanabe start sound but nothing. I go away for about 20 min come back with jumper cables, try to start again and it starts without the use of the jumper cables, but then the RPM's start jumping from about 400-100 and up and down etc... My car Idles around 700 Rpms on a daily basis. I let it sit for about 1/2hr and car feels like its not getting enough air. I drive and try to accelerate but i get nothing the rpms rise but the car is just trying to accelerate and then at 4k Rpms it kicks in like a MAD horse the rear goes out and VSC starts going crazy i got scared, i let off and try again same thing all day.
I reset the ECU 2 times today and Nothing.

If anyone could plz guide me to a link or throw some knowladge my way I would greatly greatly appreciate it! ( i have read alot of recent threads on loss of power at certain RPM speeds but i dint feel like some of the solutions could help me in this case. Sincemy MAF is not even 1 year old.
Check your electrical system, especially the alternator. Any shop that service batteries can perform it for you.

Last edited by erayd8; 01-31-09 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-31-09, 11:10 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

If you said you hit the throttle and gives you a slow response and then immediately rises to 4k instantly, sounds like a bad throttle motor. Check all the the throttle body components like the sensors thats hooked up around the throttle body. Is there a CEL on?

But do check your charging system before jumping into conclusions.
Old 02-01-09, 03:04 PM
Oleg400
Advanced

Thanks for taking the time to respond guys! there is no CEL and tomorow im going to my friends shop checking the alternator, and throttle body components maybe i will get some luck.
If you guys have any more input its more then welcome and tx again! I will try to post up new results/solution.
Old 02-01-09, 04:36 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is it the MAF? any aftermarket intakes?? I ask as this is what the SRT intake did when I first installed it with out the ECU. Lower RPM but followed the same pattern. g/l with it.
Old 02-01-09, 04:45 PM
Oleg400
Advanced

Originally Posted by passnu2
Is it the MAF? any aftermarket intakes?? I ask as this is what the SRT intake did when I first installed it with out the ECU. Lower RPM but followed the same pattern. g/l with it.
Yep i have a K&N intake, i had the SRT had the same problem as you but the ecu/piggy back install fixed it.

Well for tomorow im
-Cleaning the MAF
-Checking Volts/alternator
-Cleaning the Throttle body
-Buying new Spark plugs
-Then going to friends shop, maybe the shop will have some solution.
if I get no luck im swaping back my stock intake and see what will happen, because it just feels like its choking at idle.
Had no time today do anything hoping i will have more luck on monday.

Last edited by Oleg400; 02-01-09 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-01-09, 08:12 PM
Jason T
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have just been having similar issues

Solved buy removing and cleaning throttle body & reseting throttle position sensor

I had to move TPS next to power steering resvior buy 1mm...to far and you get 4000 rpm idle

Here is the how to adjust http://bahamutcars.free.fr/workshop/...nts/index.html

Direct link will not work = ELECTRONIC FUEL INJECTION / THROTTLE BODY / REPLACEMENT

Page FI 36

Last edited by Jason T; 02-01-09 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-02-09, 12:01 AM
Oleg400
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jason T
I have just been having similar issues

Solved buy removing and cleaning throttle body & reseting throttle position sensor

I had to move TPS next to power steering resvior buy 1mm...to far and you get 4000 rpm idle

Here is the how to adjust http://bahamutcars.free.fr/workshop/...nts/index.html

Direct link will not work = ELECTRONIC FUEL INJECTION / THROTTLE BODY / REPLACEMENT

Page FI 36
Tx alot ill try that b4 i go to the mechanic, by the way that link with the manual is amazing tx alot for posting!
Old 02-02-09, 11:57 AM
Oleg400
Advanced

Quick update.
-low/rough idle fixed for now= Cleaning maf/Throttle body about 30 min job.
-acceleration about 45% better but from 1.5krpm-2krpm car accelrates then bogs at 2.5k rpm then it accelerates again till about 3k rpm then a quick bog then after that the acceleration is smooth but when car was 100% working it was a beast at around 3krpm all the way to 6k.Now it just seems like a gs300 which is bleehhh in speed.
-im getting ready to change the sparks and see what will change.

Now i just have a couple of quick questions.
When the shifter is in park the car idles around 7.5-800 rpm, switch it to nuetral it goes to 1k rpm, then to D it goes to 500rpm and same for reverse. Now is that an ok Range??

while i did a quick drive i started to hear a poping noise right under me. When i would accelerate slightly then let of quickly i would hear a very clear/crisp kind of POP or Clunk could that be the TC locking and unlocking, it happens around 1.5-2k rpm, its pretty loud. Anyone have a clue what that might be?
If its the TC then i have an excuse to get the PI TC 2.8k

any info would be greatly appreciated,still have a bunch of things to check out and see if the slow acceleration will go away.
Old 02-02-09, 12:09 PM
Jason T
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tx alot ill try that b4 i go to the mechanic, by the way that link with the manual is amazing tx alot for posting!
Link to the work shop manual should be in the first sticky hint hint

CRC Map sensor cleaner http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/co...x?S=Y&PN=05110

Give it a try
Old 02-02-09, 12:26 PM
Oleg400
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jason T
Link to the work shop manual should be in the first sticky hint hint

CRC Map sensor cleaner http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/co...x?S=Y&PN=05110

Give it a try

Yep thats the spray that i used. And the Work Shop Manual SHOULD BE made a sticky, alot of great info i could of used in the past But its 430/300 only *(

Last edited by Oleg400; 02-02-09 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-02-09, 02:14 PM
LeXaNoMicS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep thats the spray that i used. And the Work Shop Manual SHOULD BE made a sticky, alot of great info i could of used in the past But its 430/300 only *(
+100 ...lol , the person who posted the work manual is a SEXY BEAST !!!!
Old 02-02-09, 02:21 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just gonna throw this out there......but how about bad Catalytic converters??? My friend had bad cats on his S/C Tacoma and it did some similar things that you described. And when I say bad....I mean broken/clogged. Hit them with your hand when they are cool and see if you can hear some things moving and shaking in there.

Quick Reply: Car dies/Starts/low/rough idle/no acceleration?!?!