GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Yellow top or Red top battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-09, 11:18 AM
KKRlexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellow top or Red top battery

Which battery should I get for my gs4 the Optima Yellow top or Red top?
I have a 500 rms amp for my subs. I was told by a auto performance shop that the yellow top was not made for alternator engines, but for show cars or race engines. And if I were to get it it would be damaged in a couple of years. They recommended I get a red top. Is this true?
Old 02-03-09, 11:49 AM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a yellow top for years. Had it in 4 different cars... Never let me down. In all the cars I had it in except the first car had no systems. I had to get rid of it becuase the last accident I was in put a hole in it.
Old 02-03-09, 12:22 PM
2FiVE8
Driver

blue top is the best one if you can find it, it will recharge to 100 percent if drained and can handle the amp load easily, yellow top would be a close second, plus the blue tops can come with extra terminals to run your power wire from.
Old 02-03-09, 12:52 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Red Top is a starter battery. Blue Top is a deep cycle Battery. Yellow is a hybrid. Yellow Top technically doesn't handle starting a well as a starter battery like the Red Top, and doesn't deep cycle nearly as well as the Blue Top, but does marginally better at deep cycling than the Red Top, and handles starting a lot better than the Blue Top.

Spec wise the shop is correct, but it doesn't mean you will damage the battery. Many do use the Yellow Top as a starter babattery just fine.

If you don't plan on listening to the radio a lot with the engine off, I'd stick with a Red Top.

Independent studies have shown the Red Top does not recover from a full discharge any better than typical lead acid batteries, and the Yellow Top is only marginal better. For that reason I personally stick with the Red Top. Plus the Red Top is cheaper. All of then can come with both top and side mounts, so that is no issue.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 02-03-09 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-03-09, 01:10 PM
milky
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a red top, and it works perfectly.. car starts like a charm everytime.
Old 02-03-09, 01:17 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Curry
I had a yellow top for years. Had it in 4 different cars... Never let me down. In all the cars I had it in except the first car had no systems. I had to get rid of it becuase the last accident I was in put a hole in it.
i've had mine for like 4 years in 2 different cars and i love it...i love mine

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Red Top is a starter battery. Blue Top is a deep cycle Battery. Yellow is a hybrid. Yellow Top technically doesn't handle starting a well as a starter battery like the Red Top, and doesn't deep cycle nearly as well as the Blue Top, but does marginally better at deep cycling than the Red Top, and handles starting a lot better than the Blue Top.

Spec wise the shop is correct, but it doesn't mean you will damage the battery. Many do use the Yellow Top as a starter babattery just fine.

If you don't plan on listening to the radio a lot with the engine off, I'd stick with a Red Top.

Independent studies have shown the Red Top does not recover from a full discharge any better than typical lead acid batteries, and the Yellow Top is only marginal better. For that reason I personally stick with the Red Top. Plus the Red Top is cheaper. All of then can come with both top and side mounts, so that is no issue.
well said sir
Old 02-03-09, 01:29 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

I had my yellow top for 4 years with no problems, but I didnt have a big system in my car, just a JL 300/4 amp.
Old 02-03-09, 02:10 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I had a Red Top in my Durango that lasted me 5 years. I now have a Yellow Top in the Lexus since Costco was out of stock of the Red when my battery died. You should be fine with either.

My car starts fine too.

Old 02-03-09, 04:05 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Red top, except I am too cheap to buy one for the GS. I don't have a reason too.
Old 02-03-09, 04:24 PM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

i had a yellow top that was good for a few years..then one day i unbolting the battery on the positive side with a ratchet and accidently touched the firewall doing it..and it basically shorted the battery with a SMALL spark..so i ended up jus getting a duralast red top and its been great for probably as long if not longer than when i had the optima
Old 02-03-09, 05:55 PM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

I used to have Red Top...on my previous car...haven't had it replace my OEM on my GS yet..but will probably looking to get the Red Top one day..when I need it..

Last edited by JoelGs; 02-03-09 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-03-09, 11:04 PM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

i just use regular costco battery, no problem. but i heard yellow top is good for people with big sound system, and blue top is for boats =/
Old 02-04-09, 06:14 AM
Sydwayz
Rookie

Optima Blue Tops are great batteries. Yes, they are designed for marine use. (And because of this you will pay a premium for ANYTHING to do with a boat. If you think that's bad, by something with aviation design.)

Great info on this thread about Optima Blue Tops:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...t-battery.html

That said, I bought a Die-Hard Gold for my GS last month, but I only have a small amp and upgraded sub in factory location.

The best thing you can do for ANY battery while running a system/amps is to put in a capacitor. They are not that expensive, and they will drastically improve the performance and life of ANY battery. I've got a RF 25fd digital hybrid capacitor between 4 Optima Blue Tops and 3 amps; in my boat.
Old 02-04-09, 06:29 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Go Kinetic. More juice for less price and a MUCH better battery.
Old 02-04-09, 07:53 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Debonair
I had a Red Top in my Durango that lasted me 5 years. I now have a Yellow Top in the Lexus since Costco was out of stock of the Red when my battery died. You should be fine with either.

My car starts fine too.

debonair...u know i STILL haven't made this yet since u posted directions on it. stereo place didn't have a spare piece of Plexiglas and i wasn't gonna buy the 48X48 sheet i had to buy it new in! u got enough of a spare to sell me some? or wanna make me one and I'll buy it from you?

Quick Reply: Yellow top or Red top battery