GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

new member need some help

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-09, 06:12 PM
GOODFELLA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy new member need some help

i just recently bought a gs300 ran perfectly only had 100k but just to be safe I took it to the dealership to get it inspected they told me it needs some what work. the total came out to like 3,700. I took the list of problem the car had and took it to Lincoln-Wilson-auto in Chicago IL. The first time i went there i got

-timing belt
-water pump
-front motor mount

got the car back and it seemed they did a good job but the following morning when i started the car it started to shake allot and had never shook like that since i owned the car. i called the shop he said its cause it need spark plugs and gasket valve cover changed and it should be good so i took there word got it done but the following morning it started to shake again. i called the shop again he said leave it outside the shop and drop the keys in the key drop and ill check it when in the morning he said when he started it it shock for like2 second and that it but then he said he still cleaned the fuel injectors so it should be good this time but again following morning it shook again and i don't know what is causing it. i don't kn ow much about car but i haven't changed the air filter and it some sort dirty is that the problem???

any help would be greatly appreciated

email: sidekickguy1@aol.com
Old 02-03-09, 06:34 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Trans mount?
Old 02-03-09, 07:43 PM
[ant]
Lexus Test Driver

mine has occassionally shaken on very cold mornings, but i dont often get a lot of cold here in Australia/Perth so i am still trying to find out when it does it to get it checked out. has only done it a few times in 7months or so.
Old 02-04-09, 06:37 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

give us some more details....does it only shake when u do this or do that? does it only shake on highway speeds? turning? does it ever NOT shake if you do something particular to it....? does it shake the WHOLE time u drive it?
Old 02-04-09, 12:49 PM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

Need more info...If it is trans mounts or engine mounts, the car will shake when in reverse of in D mode. But if its shake the time, then there might be something else..Make sure you don't have anaconda in the engine...lol
Old 02-04-09, 12:56 PM
Burton
Pole Position

Like stated realy need more info, but you may want to try to cleam the mas air flow sensor or replace it. A bad water temp sensor could cause problems like this also.

Ben
Old 02-04-09, 06:21 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry I can't offer you any help, but you need to find a new mechanic. This sequence of events would be a deal-breaker for me.

1. He works on car.
2. Car has problem after he works on it.
3. He instantly sells you more work to fix problem that wasn't there before he worked on it the 1st time.
4. Then he offers to look at it and diagnose. (This should've been done right away)
5. He still hasn't fixed anything but is giving it back to you like it's ok.

Doesn't sound like someone I'd trust with my car.
Old 02-04-09, 07:27 PM
evil00017
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
Sorry I can't offer you any help, but you need to find a new mechanic. This sequence of events would be a deal-breaker for me.

1. He works on car.
2. Car has problem after he works on it.
3. He instantly sells you more work to fix problem that wasn't there before he worked on it the 1st time.
4. Then he offers to look at it and diagnose. (This should've been done right away)
5. He still hasn't fixed anything but is giving it back to you like it's ok.

Doesn't sound like someone I'd trust with my car.

Agreed.... something isnt jiving
Old 02-05-09, 06:34 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WELCOME GOODFELLA

You need to find a new mechanic like RIGHT now good luck
Old 02-05-09, 10:21 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXUS_KID
WELCOME GOODFELLA

You need to find a new mechanic like RIGHT now good luck
yeah i 4th that idea
Old 02-05-09, 11:18 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

check the fuel filter. If you've cleaned injectors, replaced plugs, had an oil change recently, my money is on the fuel filter. If you're getting a CEL get the codes pulled at autozone and post them here. this should tell us better where to look. That mechanic of yours seems like a real piece of trash. Take the car elsewhere.

So you can see where i'm getting this from, your hierarchy of missing/shaking/pinging problems:

-air filter
-spark plugs
-fuel filter
-clean maf
-clean throttle body
-fuel injectors
-fuel pump
-vacuum leak
-head gasket
Old 02-05-09, 12:43 PM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

could it be the timing belt? did that guy mess up while installing the timing belt and water pump?
Old 02-05-09, 01:29 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Originally Posted by swat1727
could it be the timing belt? did that guy mess up while installing the timing belt and water pump?
My thoughts exactly. I know you didn't want to pay the dealer, but you need to get it to them and have them look at the work that was supposedly done before your engine grenades and you're looking at replacing everything. Sad, but true.

Big Mack
Old 02-05-09, 03:26 PM
augdogg
Lead Lap

Yo welcome, and that royally suks! +5 new mech now!!!!
Old 02-05-09, 09:58 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by GOODFELLA
i just recently bought a gs300 ran perfectly only had 100k but just to be safe I took it to the dealership to get it inspected they told me it needs some what work. the total came out to like 3,700. I took the list of problem the car had and took it to Lincoln-Wilson-auto in Chicago IL. The first time i went there i got

-timing belt
-water pump
-front motor mount

got the car back and it seemed they did a good job but the following morning when i started the car it started to shake allot and had never shook like that since i owned the car. i called the shop he said its cause it need spark plugs and gasket valve cover changed and it should be good so i took there word got it done but the following morning it started to shake again. i called the shop again he said leave it outside the shop and drop the keys in the key drop and ill check it when in the morning he said when he started it it shock for like2 second and that it but then he said he still cleaned the fuel injectors so it should be good this time but again following morning it shook again and i don't know what is causing it. i don't kn ow much about car but i haven't changed the air filter and it some sort dirty is that the problem???

any help would be greatly appreciated

email: sidekickguy1@aol.com
Boy... you got ripped off BADDD. Timing belt package should include: timing belt, water pump, pulleys, 2 tensioners, seals (3) cam and crank, spark plugs. That's all I remember.

If your motor mounts are bad, you can find out by: setting the parking brake fully, one foot on the brakes hard and don't let go, and the other foot hit the gas with light taps while shifting reverse and then drive, reverse and the drive few times. And if you feel a strong THUMPING with vibration, it's the motor mounts.

You would only need valve cover gasket only if you have oil leaks around them. To prevent that from happening, change your Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve (PCV).

As for fuel injection cleaning, WHY spend money on the mechanics, go buy those STP or CHEVRON w/ TECHRON and use CHEVERON Premium gas you should be good.

Last, about the car shaking in the morning, it only shakes in the morning? You would need to elaborate more on that. GL!

Quick Reply: new member need some help