GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Water flowing/bubbling sound in dash? Coolant DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-09, 12:26 PM
BatKing
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water flowing/bubbling sound in dash? Coolant DIY?

Hi,

My 98 GS is turning 100K and still running strong. However recently I hear the bubbling sound from the dash area AGAIN. temp gauge alway stay in the middle.

This was happenned couple years ago and was fixed under extended warranty. according to the dealer, all they did was added coolent. Obviously all my warranty are expired now.

my question is there any DIY to add coolant and bleed the cooling system? I searched but got mixed infomation. basically I got 2 version.

with the car running
1. have the radiator cap off, then turn on the car with FULL AC and put the temp control to the hottest.
2. watching all the bubble coming out from the top of the radiator, and after no bubble, add coolant until it top.

Should I repeat this again after the car cool down to bleed as much air out as possible?

or
with the car off
1, there should be a bleeding plug, take the plug off and add coolant from the radiator.
2. wait until coolant going out from the bleeding plug, then put the bleeding plug back

am I understanding correct? which way should I go?

I will just get the mixed coolant from toyota. it there only one kind of coolant for both lexus and toyota? or I need to mention which type of coolant?

thanks.
Old 02-04-09, 01:53 PM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are talking about draining and filling the coolant from the radiator is very easy.

1. jack the car up evenly (not necessary but you will get more of the coolant out, might work better if the front is a little lower than rear)
2. take off the plastic cover underneath (10mm screws)
3. the radiator has a white plastic screw thing thats connected to a plastic hose.
4. drain coolant to a container (and dispose of properly)
5. close white plastic screw thing
6. fill with toyota/lexus coolant (red)
7. put back on the cover from underneath

- after running the engine for a little while you might need to top off the coolant
- also check to see that you have some in your overflow container, if not add some
Old 02-04-09, 03:46 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Infamous 1
If you are talking about draining and filling the coolant from the radiator is very easy.

1. jack the car up evenly (not necessary but you will get more of the coolant out, might work better if the front is a little lower than rear)
2. take off the plastic cover underneath (10mm screws)
3. the radiator has a white plastic screw thing thats connected to a plastic hose.
4. drain coolant to a container (and dispose of properly)
5. close white plastic screw thing
6. fill with toyota/lexus coolant (red)
7. put back on the cover from underneath

- after running the engine for a little while you might need to top off the coolant
- also check to see that you have some in your overflow container, if not add some
Yes, what he said to do a drain and flush yourself. They also make a kit that allows you to hook it up to your hose and run a flush through. You can follow the instructions on that to really get the stuff clean.

Oh, and the "white plastic screw thing" is called a petcock.

Big Mack
Old 02-04-09, 04:04 PM
BatKing
Rookie

Do I really a whole flash? I thought all I need is to top off the coolant and bleed the system to make sure there is not air bubble in the system.
Old 02-04-09, 08:59 PM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe you are suppose to do a drain and fill every 60k anyway, so if haven't done it yet then drain and fill...
Old 02-04-09, 09:05 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by Infamous 1
I believe you are suppose to do a drain and fill every 60k anyway, so if haven't done it yet then drain and fill...
Exactly It's an ounce of prevention for a pound of cure. You don't want to add all new coolant to the old stuff if it's been too long. The kit should be less than $20 and take only short time to do properly. Then you can thoroughly eliminate it as the potential cause of the problem, too. Again, and ounce of prevention...

Big Mack
Old 02-04-09, 09:09 PM
BatKing
Rookie

Thanks.

I will do the flash. do the dealer sell this as a kit? or how many coolant I need to buy.
Old 02-04-09, 09:14 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Wink

Originally Posted by BatKing
Thanks.

I will do the flash. do the dealer sell this as a kit? or how many coolant I need to buy.
Two words - parts place. Buying these types of items from the dealer is what makes people think maintenance is expensive. Tell the guys (or ladies) there what you have and what you need to do, and they'll point you in the right direction.

Big Mack
Old 02-04-09, 11:49 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

Sounds like your low on coolant. IMO, you can just top of the coolant from the radiator with the car off. Then do not use heat mode, turn it max cold. Use the a/c the whole day on recirculate mode always. And about 2-3 days it should go away. But remmeber don't use fresh air mode. GL! BTW, you don't have to bleed when adding coolant.