GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Why I should detail my car myself...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-09, 10:53 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Why I should detail my car myself...

Well. It's car show time. about 2 weeks ago I sent my car to the body shop to fill and paint my bumper (down side to having a lowered car in pittsburgh). Got it back and took it do the local lexus dealership on monday to get detailed for the show. Now it's thursday, roll in day for the show, I drive to the dealership, and pay for what they did. As I'm walking past my car, I notice a big azz crack in my bumper! So, I storm back in and talk to my friend who works in service and tell him about my bumper. So he runs into another office where he can look out the window and take a glance at it. To my luck, all the salesmen, service guys, and manager happen to be in there. So he tells the manager and hes like "well what did it look like when you brought it in?" I told him I just got it back from getting the body fixed 4-5 days before that. He told me that 2 people drove the car (which one was standing there and said he didn't do it, and I belived him) and the detail guy. He also said that getting into the detail shop has a "bump" they have to go over. He offered to reimburse me for the damage and told me to make sure my body guy doesn't charge too much (haha).

So basically I'll take it to the shop next week when the shows over. My question is how do you not know you hit the car off the ground, and not tell anyone? I know you can tell when you hit it, and I KNOW he had to see it when he got out.

The end, I'll get pics when I can of the damage.
Old 02-06-09, 10:59 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

I forgot I took a pic... i'll take more tomorrow

Old 02-06-09, 11:28 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch, that sucks man. There are a few shows coming up that I am thinking about entering, I hope I can get my GS done. I hate having to cancel my plans because something was left on someone else's hands and I can't help it. But oh well, **** like that always happens, its life. Atleast they were cooperative and there will always be more shows in the future.
Old 02-06-09, 11:28 PM
lok214
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jeeez thats messed up !!!
Old 02-06-09, 11:48 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

That sucks. i am sorry to read and see that damage especially after you just got it fixed. You need to find yourself a good independent detailer that will come out to your house and detail your ride for you. I assume with your buddy working there you probobly got a discount but after the time spent fixing this screw up and the grief from it you would have been better off using a non-dealership detailer.

Check Autopia for detailer in Pittsburgh and check out their work online. I am sure you can find someone out there.
Old 02-07-09, 12:11 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i feel bad for ya man, but you definitely shouldnt be spending hard earned money to get a detail done at the dealership
Old 02-07-09, 12:31 AM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mex lex
Ouch, that sucks man. There are a few shows coming up that I am thinking about entering, I hope I can get my GS done. I hate having to cancel my plans because something was left on someone else's hands and I can't help it. But oh well, **** like that always happens, its life. Atleast they were cooperative and there will always be more shows in the future.
ha, yeah. I'm glad they were cool about it
Old 02-07-09, 12:34 AM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by excluesive
i feel bad for ya man, but you definitely shouldnt be spending hard earned money to get a detail done at the dealership
I know, I know. He charged me like $125 to do it. Plus I didn't have time to do it and it's only like 3 miles from the convention center...
Old 02-07-09, 05:15 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

They dont tell you on purpose, to try to get away with it. If they dont tell you and you dont notice it and drive away its like it never happened. Then when you get home and notice it and call them, they say it could have happened anywhere and wash their hands of it. Detailing is not an easy thing to do but if you have the right products and tools you can get just as good an outcome as paying someone to do it, and not only did you save some $ but you can sit back and enjoy your work. Hope it all turns out ok for you
Old 02-07-09, 08:41 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Man the Vertex kit is such a beeotch lol. So easily damaged, I think my front bumper has been cracked and repaired about 4 times now lol.
Old 02-07-09, 10:15 AM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn that sucks since you just got it fixed, at least you seen it while you were there.
Old 02-07-09, 10:46 AM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
They dont tell you on purpose, to try to get away with it. If they dont tell you and you dont notice it and drive away its like it never happened. Then when you get home and notice it and call them, they say it could have happened anywhere and wash their hands of it. Detailing is not an easy thing to do but if you have the right products and tools you can get just as good an outcome as paying someone to do it, and not only did you save some $ but you can sit back and enjoy your work. Hope it all turns out ok for you
Yeah, I know they were going to let it go. Thats my I was so mad. Next time, I'll do it

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Man the Vertex kit is such a beeotch lol. So easily damaged, I think my front bumper has been cracked and repaired about 4 times now lol.
I hear ya! I swear thats the only bumper I've seen that needs fixed like once a month ahha.

Originally Posted by G2low
damn that sucks since you just got it fixed, at least you seen it while you were there.
Hell yeah, I knew they were going to try to play me when I got home. That's not happening
Old 02-07-09, 10:48 AM
phillygs3

You need to warn people about how low your car is and such. By bringing it to there attention they are more carefull. When I drop off my car at certain places I tell them to be carefull , and that im gonna inspect the car when there finished for any damages
Old 02-07-09, 01:33 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by phillygs3
You need to warn people about how low your car is and such. By bringing it to there attention they are more carefull. When I drop off my car at certain places I tell them to be carefull , and that im gonna inspect the car when there finished for any damages
ah, yeah. Next time I'll take pics of the car as soon as I drop it off
Old 02-07-09, 04:43 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh.... that sucks. Glad you got it sorted out.

Quick Reply: Why I should detail my car myself...