GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Two, not so common maintenance issues, UCA, and VVTI Cam Sproket O-Ring Seal..*PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-10, 01:00 AM
my2jz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VVT-i cam

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I have a bag full of those O-rings in Viton material. I spec'd it out and custom ordered a set. I just moved to a new house so all the parts are in big boxes. I forgot which box I put them in, but I have like 100 sitting around somewhere lol. Just need to go digging around to find them.
Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the tip in my recent post. I think I found the reason why my RPM is super low after taking the head covers off, the intake camshaft is way off(about ten teeth behind) due to the fact that I open the VVT-i cam and bolt them back with the wrong pattern. Hopefully I didn't bent any valve yet, for I didn't really hear any knocking sound. I was researching about the cam and found this post. It would be really great if I can buy a few O-rings for the cam from you?
Old 02-11-11, 06:13 AM
AZIAN68
Driver School Candidate

When rebuilding your vvti cam gear did any one replace the very bottom ring
that sits between the bottom plate? My seal isn't broke but is flat and leak a tiny bit. I'm am going to attempt the silicon like every one says but was wondering a out this other o ring of sone sort in there. Also should I use a combination of the silicone and the gasket. Basicly sandwiching the gasket that I have between the sealant or just go straight for the silicone. Thanks for you help. I am on my way to Lexus now with this pulley apart in hopes that they will have some o ring for the center sleeve and the outer seal.
Old 02-12-11, 06:01 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

is this also a problem on the 1uz? My boy has a 00 gs400 with what seems to be a pretty announced valve cover gasket leak on both sides the car has nearly 200k on it. We have not tore it apart yet to check it out. Also we have noticed a ping "like low octane gas" at mostly slower speeds under load. Tried seafoaming...bg and fuel additives and to no prevail??? any input would be apriciated. The car is def do for t/b and w/p change so servicing the vvti gears would be right there if thats the case.
Old 02-13-11, 02:42 AM
Agent0024
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just PM Jefftsai, he sells the viton O-ring for a fraction of the cost of the new VVTi pulley and only a few bucks more than a tube of silicon/Permatex.
Originally Posted by AZIAN68
When rebuilding your vvti cam gear did any one replace the very bottom ring
that sits between the bottom plate? My seal isn't broke but is flat and leak a tiny bit. I'm am going to attempt the silicon like every one says but was wondering a out this other o ring of sone sort in there. Also should I use a combination of the silicone and the gasket. Basicly sandwiching the gasket that I have between the sealant or just go straight for the silicone. Thanks for you help. I am on my way to Lexus now with this pulley apart in hopes that they will have some o ring for the center sleeve and the outer seal.
Old 02-14-11, 11:29 PM
Inspiredm3
Driver

i did this same work on the my GS at 145k miles. had a leak now its gone!
Old 02-15-11, 07:59 PM
GS1day
Driver

Default o-ring or sealant?

I have a 98 gs400 and both vvti gears are leaking. Streetz thanks for being brave and opening that thing up How is it holding up?

Inspiredm3 - tell me more - sealant or o-ring? I would like to find and oring, but I have not found anyone who could give specs, nor info specifically for the gs400, most posts are for the gs300.
Old 02-21-11, 03:37 AM
streetz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS1day
I have a 98 gs400 and both vvti gears are leaking. Streetz thanks for being brave and opening that thing up How is it holding up?

Inspiredm3 - tell me more - sealant or o-ring? I would like to find and oring, but I have not found anyone who could give specs, nor info specifically for the gs400, most posts are for the gs300.
no problem, its still has not leaked, I don't expect it to leak either. In my opinion putting silicone like I did would outlast an o ring.
Old 07-03-11, 09:23 PM
Doneve79
Driver

Hey guys, i need some help. I just did my timing belt, water pump, crankshaft/camshaft seal & the VVTI pulley gasket silicone repair. Now, the car wont start. I believe i messed up in putting the VVTI pulley together. Is there a mark inside it or smthng to match in when putting it together?
Old 07-04-12, 11:01 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Doneve79
Hey guys, i need some help. I just did my timing belt, water pump, crankshaft/camshaft seal & the VVTI pulley gasket silicone repair. Now, the car wont start. I believe i messed up in putting the VVTI pulley together. Is there a mark inside it or smthng to match in when putting it together?
Yes. There's an alignment point on the gear. Every cam gear is setup slightly different from the factory due to machining differences. Be VERY careful to remember that you mark those parts prior to disassembly. This is why the factory manual tells you not to take the gear apart, because the gear is laser aligned at the factory. Once you take it apart, you will probably not assemble it the same way it was before. This is why when I do take it apart, I make sure to put down several marks so I can put it together as close as possible to how it was prior to disassembly. Since you have already put it back together without lining it up, it will probably never be exactly the same again. You can try to get it as close as possible and you should still be ok though.
Old 01-06-13, 10:46 AM
rudyboy
Driver School Candidate

Is it common for gs300 for cam gear to leak oil? O ring has to be replace as part of maintainance?? Pls need advice ty
Old 01-06-13, 10:48 PM
PlatGS3
Driver

My driver side makes a very small clunk/squeaking noise going over little bumps and driveways also. but Im not sure where its coming from but seems more noticable when its colder out. the noise tends to go away after a 30 min drive until i dip into a slightly steep driveway and the noise comes back.. do you think it could possibly be the UCA ???

[QUOTE=J0hnP;4244073]To make a long story short.

1.) upper control arm (no pics), just not that common of an occurence being that I see people only changing the lower, but ya, my **** was gone. *Symptoms) , clunking sound when I was going over bumps at slow speeds, and coming out of steep driveways and such.
Old 07-22-13, 07:56 AM
furballi
Driver School Candidate

I also have a leak at the VVTI cam sproket (99 GS300). Any member with access to a manual guide for the removal of this cam sprocket? Once removed, I will replace the bad O-ring with RTV.

TIA,
F
Old 07-23-13, 09:00 AM
furballi
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone attempted to apply Three Bond 1207B liquid gasket to the front and back side of the VVTI intake pulley (360 degree around the leak paths) to control oil leakage? I would think that there isn't that much pressure present so as to cause a 1cm wide RTV bead to leak.
Old 07-23-13, 09:59 AM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Default ..............

Originally Posted by furballi
I also have a leak at the VVTI cam sproket (99 GS300). Any member with access to a manual guide for the removal of this cam sprocket? Once removed, I will replace the bad O-ring with RTV.

TIA,
F
Attached Thumbnails Two, not so common maintenance issues, UCA, and VVTI Cam Sproket O-Ring Seal..*PICS*-img_0002.jpg   Two, not so common maintenance issues, UCA, and VVTI Cam Sproket O-Ring Seal..*PICS*-img_0003.jpg   Two, not so common maintenance issues, UCA, and VVTI Cam Sproket O-Ring Seal..*PICS*-img_0004.jpg   Two, not so common maintenance issues, UCA, and VVTI Cam Sproket O-Ring Seal..*PICS*-img_0005.jpg   Two, not so common maintenance issues, UCA, and VVTI Cam Sproket O-Ring Seal..*PICS*-img_0006.jpg  

Old 07-23-13, 11:11 AM
damiendada
Rookie

Hey I did a VVT-I O-ring DIY for about $4 check out my post it should help. Mine is still holding up with no oil around the gear at all.

Quick Reply: Two, not so common maintenance issues, UCA, and VVTI Cam Sproket O-Ring Seal..*PICS*