GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Heated Seats - Dealership Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-09, 09:29 PM
AnimalB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ironoxide1
...working at a lexus dealership, i can tell you this. The seat heaters work off of the inside and outside air temps. The colder it is outside, the warmer your seats will be. On a 50 degree day they wont be near as hot as they would be if it was -2 degrees. Also there are only 2 things that can go wrong, the switch or the element. If the element is coming on then the switch is working. If there is continuty in the element, more times than not, it is ok. I had one the other day that was shorted internally and it got too hot.
Thanks for the info. I went outside last night when it was 32 degrees. Turned the car on and sat in there for about 5 minutes. I didnt feel a thing. Not sure what is going on. They replaced the heating element and checked the switch and fuses. Good thing spring is on the way.
Old 02-18-09, 04:40 AM
ironoxide1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AnimalB
Thanks for the info. I went outside last night when it was 32 degrees. Turned the car on and sat in there for about 5 minutes. I didnt feel a thing. Not sure what is going on. They replaced the heating element and checked the switch and fuses. Good thing spring is on the way.
here in indy they have a harbor freight...which is a discount tool store...the have a hand held heat gun for about $20...you can get one and see how hot yours are getting...i think you should have felt something...i will say...the seat heaters will never get you too hot..by design...more like warm at best...good luck
Old 02-18-09, 05:06 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AnimalB
Is your car a Black GS with Black interior with the amber in the tails tinted?
Old 02-18-09, 01:32 PM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ironoxide1
...working at a lexus dealership, i can tell you this. The seat heaters work off of the inside and outside air temps. The colder it is outside, the warmer your seats will be. On a 50 degree day they wont be near as hot as they would be if it was -2 degrees. Also there are only 2 things that can go wrong, the switch or the element. If the element is coming on then the switch is working. If there is continuty in the element, more times than not, it is ok. I had one the other day that was shorted internally and it got too hot.
You will feel the seat heaters more when its cold outside but only because the difference in temp is greater. The air temp has nothing to do with the seat heater function. Check the wiring diagram. Straight from fuse to switch to heater. No temp sensors are involved. I have even seen a GS where the seat was 10 degrees cooler but felt warmer because it was outside vs a GS sitting inside that was 10 degrees hotter in a warmer environment but didnt feel as warm as the car that was sitting outside. Also, I have noticed that if the seat covers are perforated they seem to be thicker and dont get as hot as a standard leather seat cover (IMHO).
Old 02-18-09, 01:39 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by KiPod
You will feel the seat heaters more when its cold outside but only because the difference in temp is greater. The air temp has nothing to do with the seat heater function. Check the wiring diagram. Straight from fuse to switch to heater. No temp sensors are involved. I have even seen a GS where the seat was 10 degrees cooler but felt warmer because it was outside vs a GS sitting inside that was 10 degrees hotter in a warmer environment but didnt feel as warm as the car that was sitting outside. Also, I have noticed that if the seat covers are perforated they seem to be thicker and dont get as hot as a standard leather seat cover (IMHO).
- No sensors or wiring to indicate that they are that intelligent.

Mine, as I stated above, are cooler in the mornings (5AM Pacific - 45°ish lately) and warmer at lunch / go home time (11am - 2pm - 60°ish). Total opposite of what I need.