GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

98 gs300 messing up please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-09, 02:25 PM
Siklex9816
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 gs300 messing up please help

Hey CL family, I just came back from florida and the car ran perfect from GA to FL and back. I went and drove my car this morning to work and as i was pulling into work my car started to sputter like it had no gas, yet i have a fuel tank so i left for lunch break and i took the highway and it ran smooth at higher RPM's but 2500 rpms and below its sputters and shuts off and my VSC and VSC OFF lights come on with my CEL i had the code read and it said ignition misfire, i went to change my plugs and they have oil on them so i just need to know what direction to go in . THANX IN ADVANCE
Old 02-17-09, 05:18 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

How many miles on the car?

Unless someone was sloppy in recently adding oil to your car, your valve cover gaskets, you have two, are leaking...

At the very least, pull the plug wires and clean them dry and mop up the oil around the spark plugs wells...

New valve cover gaskets are in order, and maybe cam seals and front cam caps that are sealed with FIPG...

post some pictures...
Old 02-17-09, 07:22 PM
ironoxide1
Driver School Candidate

on the gs 300 there is only 1 valve cover gasket...i wouldnt replace it automatically...dont see many if them leaking and there are very easy to diagnos...the oil fowled plugs could be nothing more than that due to misfiring...remember, if the engine is misfiring the plug for that cylinder will be wet...how many miles are on the car?
Old 02-17-09, 08:38 PM
Siklex9816
Driver School Candidate

There are 164,XXX on the car all the plugs were mostly wet some more then others
Old 02-17-09, 08:40 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Originally Posted by ironoxide1
on the gs 300 there is only 1 valve cover gasket...i

Have you looked at a 2jz motor?

With that many miles you can expect the original gasket and seals to show signs of age and leak...

Last edited by FrankT; 02-17-09 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-17-09, 08:48 PM
ironoxide1
Driver School Candidate

is this a 2jz motor?
Old 02-17-09, 08:57 PM
FrankT
Instructor

...yes my friend a 2JZ-GE VVT-i to be exact. You must have been thinking of another motor.
Old 02-18-09, 04:36 AM
ironoxide1
Driver School Candidate

i thought they only put that 2jz engine in the supra and the japanese version gs...and yes technically it has as you call it 2 valve cover gaskets...i refer to it as one 2 piece gasket...you replace together and they come together(one head)...again...not saying that its impossable...but i wouldnt expect them to be leaking. my hunch...check your coil packs...if your handy, you can do it yourself...take a coil pack from a cylinder that the plug is "dry" and move it to a cylinder that the plug is "wet"...run it for awhile and check the plug...if its dry...that means it was firing and confirms a bad coil...if its wet...you can probably eliminate the coil. easier if you have a diagnostic tool that you can monitor the missfire.
Old 02-18-09, 08:04 AM
nsf0607
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are 2 seperate valve cover gasket not one 2 piece gasket. Please refer to the figure in FrankT post you will see 2 gaskets part #11213. If you have never changed the valve cover gaskets before they may be the originals. Over time they become brittle, cracked and will leak. This may cause ignition misfire problems. You need to change them. Before removing anything for the first time take pictures of the way things are layed out. Take pictures of the lay out of the coil packs so you can reference them when reinstalling them. Just as FrankT said mop up all the oil and clean up the area before you remove the plugs so nothing get into the chambers. Clean off any other oil leakage after reinstall and check after time to see if you have any other leaks. This may help your issue. Good luck.
Old 02-18-09, 11:31 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by nsf0607
There are 2 seperate valve cover gasket not one 2 piece gasket. Please refer to the figure in FrankT post you will see 2 gaskets part #11213. If you have never changed the valve cover gaskets before they may be the originals. Over time they become brittle, cracked and will leak. This may cause ignition misfire problems. You need to change them. Before removing anything for the first time take pictures of the way things are layed out. Take pictures of the lay out of the coil packs so you can reference them when reinstalling them. Just as FrankT said mop up all the oil and clean up the area before you remove the plugs so nothing get into the chambers. Clean off any other oil leakage after reinstall and check after time to see if you have any other leaks. This may help your issue. Good luck.
uh oh...nigel getting feisty lol
Old 02-18-09, 08:12 PM
Siklex9816
Driver School Candidate

Thanx everyone for all the suggestions im going to work on it this weekend and see how it goes till then im back to ol faithful ( (92 Honda accord)
Old 02-19-09, 07:38 AM
nsf0607
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
uh oh...nigel getting feisty lol
Not at all Brian . You are too funny LOL. You know me I'm easy going!

Originally Posted by Siklex9816
Thanx everyone for all the suggestions im going to work on it this weekend and see how it goes till then im back to ol faithful ( (92 Honda accord)
Good luck and take your time, it will all go well.

Nigel
Old 02-19-09, 09:54 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by nsf0607
Not at all Brian . You are too funny LOL. You know me I'm easy going!
Nigel

i know u r easy going....im beginning to think your a stoner
Old 02-19-09, 07:53 PM
Siklex9816
Driver School Candidate

ok guys i put my GS3 back together until i get parts and it ran smooth for a couple of hours then it started boggin down again around 1500RPMS then it would stall out. I think i have a cam seal leak because i have oil being slung from my cam gears. im wondering would this oil be loading up on my spark plug area and bogging my car down.
Old 02-20-09, 02:14 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Cam seals usually leak out in to the timing belt not in the spark plug valley, you may have to look into what I'm doing below...

I just got done cleaning up the spark plug valley in the wife's GS300 with about 130k miles.
What a mess and I can't believe the car ran, oil filled all the spark plug holes, this oil cam from the old and very brittle valve cover gaskets.
I am in the process of replacing the valve cover gaskets, VVT-i pulley, cam seals, and removing and resealing the front cam caps.

I will post pictures later.

Quick Reply: 98 gs300 messing up please help